Head to Maison Antoine for the best fries
Yes, experiencing the fries at Maison Antoine is an activity that one has to do in Brussels.
The place is renowned in the whole Brussels for its non deep-freezed fries. Potatoes are peeled in there and fried for the day.
It's a simple fritkot we have here. Yet, you find there locals from the whole Brussels longing for those Maison Antoine fries, EU commissioners at evenings. Fritkot or baraque a frites are those either huts either mobilehomes that sell fries.
Do like the locals, fetch your cornet (cone) with mayonnaise, tartare or samurai sauce (an assortment of sauces there). A tip: tell them to set the sauce separately and not in the cone, on the fries. This would avoid you to damp your wrist in the mayonnaise sauce when you try to fetch the last fries in the cone. :)
A big cone at 1.90 euro is more than enough already. For hungry guys, there are sausages, kebabs, chicken wings, cheese croquettes... all fried not grilled :-)
It is possible to eat your fries at the counter, on the benches or head to a nearby stamcafe: Chez Bernard- L'Esperance. Condition: you order drinks there and take seat to savour your fries. Arrangement done between the two institutions.
We had this noon-lunch at our Vt meeting of Nov. 30. I wanted to show non-Brussels Belgians and foreigner attendees about the place.
- Food and Dining
- Work Abroad
- Study Abroad
Parc du cinquantenaire - Jubelpark & Museums
Discover the park with its arches and museums.
I read that King Leopold II had it fit out in 1880 by Gedeon Bordiau for a special purpose: Jubilee celebration of Belgium. The concern was then to liaise Brussels center to Tervueren countryside. In fact, Avenue de Tervueren-laan starts there and leads to cosy Tervueren area. Besides, nowadays, an underground tunnel goes across its North-East part. This tunnel leads you to Tervueren area as well.
As for architecture:
* Eight women statues, that epitomized the nine Belgian provinces. Oddly enough, West and East Flanders were represented by an only woman.
* Parc du Cinquantenaire houses museums and exhibition rooms. Among them, Musées Royaux d'Art et d'Histoire (Royal Museums of Art and History); Musée Royal de l'Armée et d'Histoire Militaire (Royal Museum of Army and Military History) with its air collection. Visit there Autoworld, Car Museum as well.
I namely appreciate there Royal Museums of Art and History. In addition to a permanent collection of civilizations history, my first exhibition there was on Pre-colombian civilization (a huge one), on use of metals such as gold, copper. Then, in 1998, I assisted one on Buddhism and countries that are impregnated with its precepts. I admit that I will have to see it again to remember.
* a park. From Schuman area, you will have to climb a little slope to reach the arches. Well-kept alleys packed with trees. Benches to seat under trees. It comprehends, at its front, a fountain.
* a triple arch whose top is worth the glance. It was erected in 1904-1905. Its 45-m height dominates the park. Top is made of four bronze statues. Charming with verdigris. Those statues symbolize triumphant Belgium heading to future.
This is the view from main entry (Av. de Tervuerenlaan). At its back, discover fresca depicting sceneries. Far back, there is a mosque.
More pictures in this travelogue
- Museum Visits
- Historical Travel
- Save up to 50% off Hotels Everyday
- Expedia.com Photos, Reviews and the Guaranteed Lowest Prices
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates