Ixelles Things to Do

• Things to Do
    by Beckhanne
  • One of several Picasso's in Planque collection
    One of several Picasso's in Planque...
    by Norali
    Delvaux, la dormition de la vierge
    by Marie-Claude

Most Recent Things to Do in Ixelles

• Norali's Profile Photo

Musée d'Ixelles

by Norali Updated May 7, 2005
    One of several Picasso's in Planque collection

A little museum, quite unknown - I bet even not all locals know it. It's Ixelles municipality museum, in Ixelles area obviously. For this reason, I am listing it in Bruxelles Off the beaten path tips too. Although, imho, for who intending to visit XL municipality and loving art, it is a must-see.

The setting is not impressive at all, the interesting permanent collection is: mostly Belgian works .. lots of that. Even think the bills and posters are the highlight of the permanent collection.

The most interesting part was, for me, the great collection of all-eras' bills and posters too. In paintings, not to look over: Rik Wouters (probably my favourite Belgian painter), Permeke and De Smet. In the permanent gatherings:
    *Exemples of French posters:

*Exemples of Belgian posters:

Also, the museum uses to host temporary exhibitions. My first visit in 2001 was to see a Sotheby's paintings collection. I learnt about the exhibition by chance and saw the museum for first time. Happy to have discovered it.

Returned again in May 2005... to attend another exhibition: La Collection Planque. It's always a nice surprise and a refreshing experience to go to this small museum. I enjoyed my two hours (and a bit more) spent in there. I was surprised by the number of attendants as well. Little I knew so many people could have noticed it. Oh! talk Cézanne, Dubuffet, Klee, Picasso.. and the Brussels "cultured" people would flock in. Though, very few dared to check the interesting permanent collection.

Opening Hours:
    *Tuesday-Friday: 1pm - 6.30 pm
    *Saturday & Sunday: 10 am - 5 pm

• Museum Visits

• Marie-Claude's Profile Photo

Ixelles Museum

by Marie-Claude Written Jan 19, 2005

Delvaux, la dormition de la vierge

This is a superbe museum, the ones i prefer. Not too big, not too small with a very very nice collection of quality. They have an impressive collection of belgian art. This was a revelation for me. This is worth the detour.

• Museum Visits

• Beckhanne's Profile Photo

Art Déco building

by Beckhanne Updated Sep 21, 2004

Art D��co style

Whenever I pass by this building and look up; I don't know why I like it so much, except that it makes me think of England. But that's just me...It was built with Belvédère bricks from the name of the company that produced them.

• Architecture

• Beckhanne's Profile Photo

Notre-Dame de l'Annonciaton church

by Beckhanne Written Sep 20, 2004

Church built from 1932 to 1934 in the Art Déco style. The architect Camille Damman mainly used bricks. You can see inside four Art Déco confessionals.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Ixelles

Comments

Ixelles Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Ixelles things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Ixelles sightseeing.