Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Favorites

Foliage of early December
    Somewhere in Woluwé in december 2005

Most Recent Favorites in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre

• Norali's Profile Photo

It is not a young area, after all

by Norali Updated Feb 10, 2006

Somewhere in Woluw�� in december 2005

Favorite thing: It took me a visit to another municipality - Anderlecht-, and to know that it had already existed since anno 1000 to see my interest rise in WSP history. The ancient name of the area "Wolewe" was first used circa 1117.

How astonishing to imagine that, from some meadows dedicated to farming and agriculture, the area had turned into a home of those many prestigious mansions, villas, embassies. And what about those EHQs of multinationals ?

Most municipalities in Brussels (if not all of them) had been gradually urbanized but WSP seems to have another dimension, by cristalizing some prestige.

I don't like to summarize it, check the below website for an introduction:

Btw, my tram station is Chien vert (Groen Hound). I am wondering why ;-)

Fondest memory: Woluw?-Saint-Pierre uses to be the area of many grand works of King Leopold II, even the Palace of Tervueren (now turned into Museum of Africa) is not far from us.

He is known as the Great Belgian King (some say megalomaniac). For me, the Jubelpark, the Avenue de Tervuerenlaan, the Tervueren domain (including the Palace turned into a museum dedicated to Africa), this Woluw? park so dear to me (I know I'll miss WSP back to Madagascar), the first trams running on the great avenue, this train liaising Stockel area and Watermael (and beyond).. all of that is grand.

Maybe because I use to enjoy in one way or another most of those facilities, I see a Great King. Well, the King had done much more than that to deserve this status, of course. He was known as a "Roi Batisseur" who initiated many large Belgian projects, not only as a "batisseur" but also as a politician, a traveller. Another aspect, he officialised the equal use of both French and Flemish as national languages. And... this may concern you, dear visitors, if you can easily visit Belgian cities by hopping from a city to another thanks to this dense rail network, Belgium owes it to him (his vision, his energy & impulse, sometimes, his fortune). Oh! he used to own Congo (rdc) too, then donated it to Belgium... Long and complex history. OK, you'd better read a book on him.

[To reach the museum, take tram 44 from Montgomery till terminus station and there it is: the palace is 50m from the Tervueren tram station. The ride will show the villas, mansions, embassies and green areas of Woluw?-Saint-Pierre.]

• Castles and Palaces

Woluwé Park. A view from the Cornice

by Norali Updated Dec 4, 2005

Enlarge to see town hall spire in top left

Favorite thing: At top left, see the Woluwé-St-Pierre town hall spire...

Something I appreciate there is that from the bench I sat on, I still saw cars passing by, in Av. de Tervuerenlaan...but the place at the cornice was just quiet.

Off course, the deeper & further you enter th park, the more you feel like in any wood off Brussels... where you can walk, cycle, run.. let your toddler stroll.

Also, you can just bring your favourite book, pick one of the benches there, or seat on the many grassy slopes and have a good afternoon. Cool sunset in summer.

Fondest memory: That's WSP park, you put your foot in, and you are already away...

The old trees, hmmm... the trees. Check my other pics. They are from arly December whilst this main one (from the cornice) is from Spring. From my fall and winter walks there, I came to know that the best shelter is this cypress type whose name I don't know. Very few raindrops came through the thick foliage.

The squirrels (never managed to snap a picture of them)

The snow dome in winter to allow kids slaloming (ok, mini-slaloming) the slope of the park. You can see the "ski area" (manmade & atificially maintained) from the avenue around Xmas and in January when it snows.

• Hiking and Walking

Woluwé-Saint-Pierre is my hometown

by Norali Updated Jul 3, 2005

View from my terrace: the backyard

Favorite thing: and Brussels (Region) is my homecity, meaning I live in Greater Brussels.

This is the view from my (small) terrace in summer. In winter, it's all grey... yes! grey trees, not grey concrete blocks.

Fondest memory: * My neighbours's female cat ... making noises like a baby crying :-)

* Another cat, who was dizzy, drunken from inhaling too much weed and falling from the first storey to land on the shed of the basement house. My ex-neighbour used to smoke too much weed that I once vomitted since the smell actually spread all over the corridor. Even a cat, that has its reputation of always finding its wayand fall on its legs, had fallen from the terrace fence because too drugged.

* Two days a year, my street uses to become a parking lot. The whole Brussels parks cars there to attend a low-car event along Avenue de Tervueren. Oh, irony...

* In summer, the sounds of tennis rallies in the nearby.. when one tries to focus on studying for those June sessions, some use to play tennis on clay. It happens that, I learnt it lately, the tennis court is in one of those hidden properties that belongs to a rich Belgian (or French?) guy. 10 years I've been living there & I've never known one of my closest neighbours is Baron Empain. I am not sure whether he lives there but I was told the property was his. yes, I live in a rather posh area, home of many embassies and nice buildings... then a further on Bd de la Woluwé, those many European HQs of multinationals (HP, A. D. Little... to name a few). But my apartment is in a old building..

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad
    • Business Travel

Se bastasse una canzone

by Norali Updated Jan 5, 2005

View from my terrace

Favorite thing:
    se bastasse una bella canzone
    a far piovere amore
    si potrebbe cantarla un milione
    un milione di volte
    bastasse già
    bastasse già
    non ci vorrebbe poi tanto a imparare ad amare di più
    se bastasse una vera canzone
    per convincere gli altri
    si potrebbe cantarla più forte
    visto che sono in tanti
    fosse così fosse così
    non si dovrebbe lottare per farsi sentire di più
    se bastasse una buona canzone
    a far dare una mano
    si potrebbe trovarla nel cuore
    senza andare lontano
    bastasse già bastasse già
    non ci sarebbe bisogno di chiedere la carità
    sono allo sbando
    dedicato a tutti quelli che
    non hanno avuto ancora niente
    e sono ai margini da sempre
    stanno aspettando
    rimangono dei sognatori
    per questo sempre più da soli
    se bastasse una grande canzone
    per parlare di pace
    si potrebbe chiamarla per nome
    aggiungendo una voce
    e un'altra poi e un'altra poi
    finche diventa di un solo colore più vivo che mai
    sono allo sbando
    hanno provato ad inventare
    una canzone per cambiare
    stanno aspettando
    dedicato a tutti quelli che
    venuti su con troppo vento
    quel tempo gli è rimasto dentro
    in ogni senso
    hanno creduto cercato e voluto che fosse così

Fondest memory: I hear you wondering. What the hell has this Ramazotti song to do with WSP ?
    This is one of best memories I have of the area where I live.

It is so calm, like a dorm town that in summer, it was possible, once, to sleep in the living-room, open windows and hearing the beautiful voices of my Italian neighbours singing in the street. This is something to expect if you happen to live in my area. A tranquil town, not far from the center but still allows me, a woman, to walk in my street at 11 pm without worrying.

So, this song is somewhat special to me. I heard it sung in one of first summernights I had in my then new apartment. I could not forget it. "Se bastasse una bella canzone"

• Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

WSP town hall

by Norali Updated Jan 5, 2005

WSP town hall

Favorite thing: For some reason, the town hall (in fact, a municipality house) used to be my office. From April 2004 to July 2004, it has become the place I hang out everyday, from 9am to 5pm. Not a workplace (since I am looking for a job) but a place where I used to go to daily. There was a team there, within the municipality building, which gave advice, coached jobsearchers in their searching. Free internet, free phone calls, job offers..etc... Most encouraging is seeing tons of people in the same situation as you, involved in active searching.

Fondest memory: The group I was working with: 12 cool guys and gals.

We gathered at a pre-Christmas party on December 19 2004. It was held in the neighbourhood, at the place of a member of the group. Very cool ! Seems that the coaching was very effective: most of us (10 out of 13) had found a job. As a sign of the times, many have found a job in the social area. Yep... found friends though don't have much time to meet each other.

My travels start here

by Norali Updated Aug 22, 2004

Happy travels!

Favorite thing: Woluwé-Saint-Pierre (WSP) is the place where my travels and walks start...

It is the place where I use to sit on a chair, in front of my PC to browse VT pages.

It is also the place from where I use to write to you...

Fondest memory: Quiet place... who said a dormitory town? :)
    One of places in Brussels where you can still walk in at 11 pm without any trouble.

No, it is not a dormitory. You will find in the area a huge boulevard with multinationals EHQs.

You will find here sport facilities, schools and cool joints.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Cycling

Instant Answers: Woluwé-Saint-Pierre

Comments

Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Favorites

Reviews and photos of Woluwé-Saint-Pierre favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Woluwé-Saint-Pierre sightseeing.

View all Woluwé-Saint-Pierre hotels