Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Local Customs

There is a homemade flan in it.
  • What's in the box ? a scrumptious Goossens clafout
    What's in the box ? a scrumptious...
    I tried and like their flan

Most Recent Local Customs in Woluwé-Saint-Pierre

• Norali's Profile Photo

If only allowed to have one piece: their clafoutis

by Norali Updated Dec 8, 2005

A good pastry is always a valued item at Belgian d

If I were asked to only have one piece to buy from Goosens, it would be their clafoutis.

Their clafoutis was my latest discovery. Twice, I bought for a diner dessert a clafoutis. Heaven! The classical clafoutis and their version of it (theirs has several fruit bits in it) are excellent.

The second time, even a greater time. Just before heading to my friends', I fetched the clafoutis at Goossens. Once at my friends', at dessert time, I helped my friend (the lady host). I opened to display it on one of the plate. It is a cold cake, not a warm one but it smelled fruit as if it were just fresh from the oven. Maybe the filling had to be fragrant as well ?

The taste is the perfect combination of the filling and those slices of fruit: dewberry, tangerin, kiwi, pear, pineapple. And the paste tastes butter as if it were just from oven.

The filling was light, not dodgy. I do appreciate that.

Clafoutis is not a classical piece in Belgium. Paris was in my mind while savouring my slice with some white wine.

About 10 euros for a 6-portion clafoutis.

Not sure the clafoutis would be a permanent item on display, you may want to order it.

Btw, they have some homemade quiches too. Choose any you'd like. The ones with chevre are unexpectedly delicious (I don't like chevre - taste is too strong, one has to find the right balance to make me like it). Spinach-salmon is a hit as well.

Patisserie Goossens
    Avenue Jules Detrooz (1150 WSP)
    Trams 39 or 44, station: Chien vert, Groen Hound

• Norali's Profile Photo

My very preferred pastry shop: Goossens

by Norali Updated Dec 6, 2005

I tried and like their flan

Aah! I will miss this once in Madagascar. I like pastry but don't buy very often. I can spend 6 months without a cake but when I decide to treat myself with a savourous slice, it is the place where I use to head to. More expensive than the average local pastry shop in my area (cheaper than Mahieu, Marcolini though) but I think I've found the best in the area. It uses butter, not margarine.

On Av. Jules de Trooz is this "Patisserie Goossens" located. I love it there. I have my habit there: waking up late on Sundays, give a phone call to "book" my cretes de coq, then fetch them just before they close at 2pm... yes! Fresh from the oven, crunchy, delicious and fragrant... Scrumptious breakfast ! To be honest, i don't know much about the other viennoiseries, except chaussons (it is called gozette in Belgium). Off course, there are croissant, croissant aux amandes too.

The pastry is their forte, imho. I started out smoothly, years ago, with the classical bavarois. Nice! Not fan of chocolate in pastry nor in icecream, I could however appreciate some of their chocolate or moka based cakes on very rare occasions. In the contrary, their fruit pies, their croute de fruits (with creme patissiere or anglaise) used to be my signature cakes whenever I am invited somewhere: the multi-coloured fruits topping the creme anglaise: tangerine, kiwi slices, raisins, redcurrants, pineapple... freshness !

Also whenever you want to try something new, the owner takes her time to explain what the piece is made up with. Really nice !

First picture, my first attempt at having creme fraiche on the flan. I prefer the flan, by far ! :-) I don't like creme fraiche and Goossens could not change anything in that. The base (paste) was perfect, as usual, the flan superb. I savoured the crunchy bits of peanuts but discarded the layer of creme fraiche.

Thinking of those cretes de coq, their bavarois, their clafoutis and other delicacies just make me salivating.

Good bakeries

by Norali Updated Dec 6, 2005

There is a homemade flan in it.

Like any dorm town, designed to please wealthy (and, very often, old.. not that I am old... and I am far from being rich) people, Woluw?-St-Pierre has some good bakeries.

Their chef de file is the very own Pierre Marcolini, near Place Dumon (av Hinnisdael ). The first Pierre Marcolini boutique is av Hinnisdael for, from what I've learnt, he living there. For sure, Pierre Marcolini is a Saint-P?trusien. Belgium and WSP are very proud of him. Go there for chocolate and bakery as well. Some P?trusiens talked about the time they saw Pierre Marcolini training on ice for his chocolate sculpting contests... In their eyes, you see the pride whilst talking about this well-known hometown boy.

Another well-known bakery is Mahieux, on Place Dumon. I am not very fond of it. Quite expensive, not that exceptional though Saint-P?trusiens make a point of honour to buy Mahieux...

Another formula: Pain Quotidien. Yes, WSP also has it. Near Place Dumon as well. With a possibility to grab some bite on communal tables. Bread, lemon curd pies, dewberr pie, quiches, salads or just yur breakfast (tea, coffee, hot chocolate) with orange juice and croissant. Some find it cool to sit at the "terrace" in the afteroon, me not. OK for breakfast but not for pubbing (just, imho)

107 yo avenue

by Norali Updated Nov 23, 2004

Avenue de Tervueren seen from Woluwe park

Today, May 16 2004 were WSP and Brussels celebrating the 107th anniversary of Avenue de Tervuerenlaan. King Leopold II had, then, it fit to liaise the center of Brussels to the South-Eastern area (suburb).

Yearly, it is celebrated. For that, the avenue is closed to circulation: car is not recommended. It is then the area for pedestrians, bikers, rollers... Also, some flea market (brocantes) along the cycle path on Tervueren avenue and in perpendicular streets: people get rid of the content of their attics, others buy..etc.. books, toys, used garnments, dishware. Of course, the Woluwe park hosts visitors too. Plus, since weather permitted, it was crowdy. Poor grass... :)

After a day of celebration, Son et Lumière show on Esplanade du 50aire. This year, we had enjoyed French Cancan show instead of the classical classics Son et Lumière show. Formidable !! Formidable !!

As I live in one of the streets perpendicular to this one of nicest avenues of Brussels, I can easily guess the party time on Avenue de Tervueren. During a sunny Sunday in May, my street becomes a parking lot. Funny Brusselers, they park their car around to attend an event dedicated to promote car-low lifestyle. In fact, the avenue is normally for the categories I described above. With that, it is the neighbouring streets that become hectic with lots of cars, people... Oh well. Thank God, it only happens once a year (twice, in fact, since Brussels has its car-low day in September) . My street is nice when it is quiet.

Besides, my memory of the day is this extreme pleasure to wander around Montgomery square without worrying about the traffic. Twice I was threatened to death by some cardrivers while cycling in the area...

• Study Abroad
    • Work Abroad

Instant Answers: Woluwé-Saint-Pierre

Comments

Woluwé-Saint-Pierre Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Woluwé-Saint-Pierre local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Woluwé-Saint-Pierre sightseeing.

View all Woluwé-Saint-Pierre hotels