Brcko Things to Do

  • Youth square
    Youth square
    by Odiseya
  • Fontain of Youth
    Fontain of Youth
    by Odiseya
  • Brcko train station tower
    Brcko train station tower
    by Odiseya

Most Recent Things to Do in Brcko

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Fontana mladosti - Fontain of youth

    by Odiseya Updated Feb 18, 2014

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Fontain of Youth
    1 more image

    The fountain of youth is a symbol of the city (with the Town Hall) and is located at the Square of the young. Original name is "fontana mladosti".

    Square has through history changed its appearance. Sometimes it was a downtown of a small artisan shops. Today is a pedestrian zone with modern stores.

    Author of fountain is Sead Ekmečić. The author in 1958 was graduated from the Academy of Applied Arts in Belgrade, and until the early eighties of 20 century, when he retired, he worked as a teacher and a professor of art education in several elementary and secondary schools in Brčko.
    The author is in 1963 accepted the invitation of local authorities to make a sculpture for the "Fountain of Youth", which is now located in the center of Brčko. After four months of work, he finished sculpture of boys and girls who are held for the tail of a fish. Ekmečić said he wanted that this sculpture represent "connection of Brčko and its inhabitants connection with their Sava river." Today "Fountain of Youth" is a symbol of this city. It was built in 1963.

    The sculpture has also changed its appearance, but also and location too. The current position of the "Fountain of Youth" is at the Square of young people for many people is quite questionable and one gets the impression that someone (whether intentional or not?) that sculpture pushed into the background, and that no longer even close to representative of the position and the importance that it has had since 1963 until. Today is look like a private fountain of nearby restaurant.

    The author's wish was that if there is a possibility, sculpture dislocate the area in front of the bookstore, "Veselin Masleša" on that green surface on which they planted some trees and grass, among the former "steel" and across the street from the bakery "Klas" and "Sarajevo-insurance ".

    The author died this year (2012) and never seeing, or the city itself, that the symbol of the city receives his rightful place.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Photography

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Touristic train station

    by Odiseya Updated Jun 15, 2013

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Brcko train station tower

    Interesting building train station in Brčko was build in 1946. It is serve primary for railway and transportation of passengers and goods. Local government prepared this building to become a tourist attraction of Brcko District.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Trains

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Interesting builiding

    by Odiseya Updated Jan 11, 2013

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    City art gallery

    Former main bookstore for wider area "veselin Masleša" and place where was store named "Samoizbor", is after reconstruction become main city art gallery in Brčko District.
    Work on reconstructed was started on 4th April 2011. For these purposes, the capital budget of Brcko District government is provided 200000 KM.
    Institution city gallery was open 1975. Today has about 1000 art exhibits, which are classified into several collections.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Monument dedicated to hero of WWII

    by Odiseya Written Oct 28, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Monument to WWII hero

    This monument is near cross border to Croatia. It is dedicated to fight against enemy and local traitors (like is write on monument plaque) near monument.
    Especially is dedicated to local baker and revolutionary and partisan Hasan Aganović called Tač. He is participated in action on 16th August 1941 when he burned down two Germans truck loaded with flax. He was did under torture in jail 30th January 1942 and his body Ustasha thrown from the bridge into the river Sava. His colleagues-fighters from WWII erected this monument 16th August 1981.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Experience atmosphere of Old town market

    by Odiseya Updated Oct 28, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Old town market in Brcko

    Čaršija (pers. čehar are tur. čarsu) is the market.
    This was the commercial center of the town in Bosnia and Herzegovina during the Ottoman rule.
    The basic elements of her was mosques, shops and fountain.
    Today's bazaar are modernized and include local, municipal buildings, cultural centers and restaurants. It is well known Bascarsija in Sarajevo, which was built in the 15 century.
    The old market in Brčko is near cross border and it is small.
    Figuratively means public opinion environment in which one lives, what a story, "the world."
    Unconfirmed story was "street-level, story."

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Monument in city park

    by Odiseya Written Oct 28, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Dobrin spomenik

    The only monument in the main city park is dedicated to Dobrosav Dobro Jovanović (Serbian Cyrillic: Добросав Добро Јовановић). He was a volunteer in the World War I. He was hanged by the occupiers 1914th.
    The memorial is dedicated to fallen volunteer in period from 1914 till 1918 for the liberation and unification with our brothers in other occupied regions in surrounding that would later form a country called Yugoslavia, which no longer exists. However, the monument has resisted many political controversies of the past and present time. Called Serbian Monument, written in Cyrillic and still is, despite some proposals, the only monument in the large city park.
    The monument was erected by volunteers and grateful citizens of Brcko district 1932nd. This monument was demolished in 1941 by Ustashas, and the citizens of Brcko again raised in 1951.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Relax in main city park

    by Odiseya Written Oct 28, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Fountain in the center of city park
    2 more images

    Every town in Bosnia and Herzegovina has several so call "green area" especially in the center.
    Main city park in Brčko is big organized area with lots a paths and benches. One area of park is designed like children playground.
    Start on main street in city with Dobrin monument, near Catholic church and all away to the Economic faculty with way to the train and bus station at the periphery. The park is places there every local or visitor like to relax especially during hot summer days.
    The park is in good condition and clean with many trash basket.
    In the center you can find a simple water fountain. Lines with high of deciduous trees and surrounding bushes, especially in the lower part of the park, creating shade. Nice place to relax before or after exploring the city.

    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Family Travel
    • Backpacking

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Kucukalic house

    by Odiseya Updated Sep 7, 2012

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Kucukalic house

    Due to its favorable geographical position in Brcko at the end of the nineteenth century a rapid development of trade. Many people come here to live, especially the merchants.
    So he came to the city and Alijaga Kučukalić, capable trader and soon became one of the wealthiest merchants. He built the 1891st The Hotel "Posavina", which he later sold.

    House Alijaga Kucukalic, Brcko wealthy merchants and philanthropists of his people, is located in the old town district Kolobari, near the White Mosque. It was built in the style of pseudo-Moorish as the Town Hall on the same project-architect Alexander Vitek. This residential building was completed 1907th year, as indicated by the inscription above the entrance door, and typological an Austro-Hungarian villa, which were in vogue at that time. And today it looks Hjepo, with what she needed protection.

    Kucukalic House in 2003. it was declared a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina and has already begun its restoration. However, when I went there, almost nothing has changed and so has made ​​this photograph attached.

    It is interesting that I have not received information about this building or one of the local residents. They told me that it was building an Austro-Hungarian officials. Some commented on the construction of the building but did not know who was the owner. Although I have heard that local schools bring their students near and speak to them about this building, close to the house I found a plaque with the announcement of the national monument.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    The government headquarters of the Brcko District

    by Odiseya Written Aug 27, 2012

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The government headquarters

    Modern building near the cross boarding with Croatia and across City hall (Brcaska beledija) on left side is a seat of Goverment of Brcko District.

    Brcko District is an administrative unit of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The District is under international administration. The seat is the city of Brcko District. It is on beginning of Bulevar mira street (Peace Avenue) a main street in Brcko. It is parallel with main pedestrian zone.

    Related to:
    • Business Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Firehouse

    by Odiseya Updated Aug 26, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    130 year of  firefighting in Brčko

    Development of firefighting in Bosnia and Herzegovina extends from the era of the Ottoman Empire, since it encouraged some form of fire protection. Serious and systematic development of firefighting in Bosnia and Herzegovina began only after the occupation by the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy 1878. For this purpose, the Provincial Government of Bosnia and Herzegovina issued several regulations and guidelines based on which in 1879 founded the volunteer fire department in Travnik and Sarajevo, Mostar, then 1880, 1881 and 1882 Tuzla and Brcko.

    County Government was on July 1, 1882th decide that 150 forints give for the purchase of two round barrels with water from Vienna ordered one hand pump on two wheels with the corresponding pairs of Kazan and 40 working fire uniform.

    Firefighters from in their work had sometimes less and sometimes more success to the Company, sometime between 1900 and 1904, stopped working.
    9 April 1905, the fire department was former with departments.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Bridge over Sava river

    by Odiseya Updated Aug 26, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Bridge over Sava river

    This is former railway bridge over the Sava River to Gunja (Croatia), 755 m long with 27 towers.

    The construction of the bridge was funded by the Austro-Hungarian Government and the Provincial Government of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Preparations for its construction began in early 1892nd. The collection of oak wood rafts that is transported from the upper river basin, namely Posavina oak forests.
    On the construction of the bridge engineering units are operated by Austro-Hungarian army, and as an adjunct workers worked civilians from Brcko. Upon completion of the bridge was opened to traffic 13th September 1894. Along with the construction of the bridge, it was build the railway station in the city center on the present site of the Trade House "Interex".
    The Brcko was associated standard gauge railway line, a distance of 52 kilometaa with Vinkovci and from there to Europe.
    In all that time - from officially opening for public transport till now, the bridge was destroy about five time.

    In October 1977th the bridge with the remaining rails are removed from the tracks along the entire length of the bridge sets new oak pavement surface and are designed and new approaches to the bridge. This work was carried out by workers "Tuzla-ways" in which they worked more than two months.

    Upon completion of recent war the bridge partially restored by international SFOR forces, primarily for their own purposes, when an iron frame bridges damaged part of the bridge and complete restoration carried out in the period from 15 June to 10 October 2000th.

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Brcanska beledija - City hall

    by Odiseya Updated Aug 26, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Brcanska beledija
    1 more image

    Brčanska Beledija or City Hall was built during the Austro-Hungarian occupation of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
    Brčanska Beledija-Hall was built in the pseudo-Moorish style of the time from 1891. to 1892., specifically, has been delivered to the use of I8. August 1892. It is still the most representative buildings in Brcko.
    The author of city hall was architect Alexander Vitek. It is known that he worked at the design and for the Sarajevo Beledija (City Hall), but they were faster made ​​City Hall in Brcko. Due to these work Vitek has repeatedly traveled to Cairo and other Middle Eastern cities to study the details in there some monumental buildings that was then applied to some buildings in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Unfortunately, he began to seriously sicken and eventually ends up in a psychiatric hospital. His start to work on the Brcko Hall the famous architect Cyril Iveković from Zagreb. Building Brcko Hall has cost 108 000 old gold crowns.

    Today, in front was made street and building is surrounded by chestnuts.
    In the first time was in the Hall of the municipality, post and telegraph and Sava captaincy. Now located in the City Hall Public Library and Gallery.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Brka river

    by Odiseya Written Aug 25, 2012

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    River Brka

    Brka river springs under Mount Majevica in Brcko empties into the Sava River. Therefore, in the river there are several fish species. Across the river crosses several bridges, and debt is about 30 kilometers. River follows its course long pedestrian one in the old town. But it can not be seen from the pedestrian zone of the buildings the river banks.

    Related to:
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Old town core

    by Odiseya Updated Aug 25, 2012

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Old town

    From the old architecture Brcko remained very small par of what once was. In addition to the Town Hall and Hotel "Posavina" there is a building where the bookstore and premises cultural activity, building on one side of the square and the youth street next to the building of the Brcko District.
    These buildings have a specific and beautiful appearance, and should be preserved so that future generations know how the city looked once.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Odiseya's Profile Photo

    Sacred Heart Church

    by Odiseya Written Aug 25, 2012

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Catolic church

    The Catholic Church in Brcko, this contemporary, built in the 14th October 1933rd and bears the name "Sacred Heart Church" (Croatian: Crkva srca Isusova). According to the original design of the church is supposed to have two towers, or towers, one on the left and right sides. The original sketch of the future church was transferred and the postcards that were in circulation at the time of construction of this church.
    There was a shortage of funds, so the church has built only one tower.
    At the site of the present Catholic Church was one minor whose construction began 1883rd and was completed in 1885. bore the name of the Church of St. Michael. Before that church, there was one church that was on the premises Serbian towns (Srpska varoš). In the frequent Turkish-Austro-Hungarian wars church was demolished and never rebuilt.

    Related to:
    • Religious Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Brcko

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

98 travelers online now

Comments

Brcko Things to Do

Odiseya's Profile Photo

City downtown is place where you can feel authentic city atmosphere and start to familiarse with city life and culture.

Old town core and old town market are connected and make long...

View all Brcko hotels