Bihac Off The Beaten Path

  • Scars of the recent war
    Scars of the recent war
    by HORSCHECK
  • Catholic Church, Mosque, Orthodox Church
    Catholic Church, Mosque, Orthodox Church
    by HORSCHECK
  • Catholic Church
    Catholic Church
    by HORSCHECK

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Bihac

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Side trip to Bosanska Krupa

    by HORSCHECK Written Jun 18, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Catholic Church, Mosque, Orthodox Church
    4 more images

    On our second day in Bihac, we took a side trip by bus to Bosanska Krupa. The route is served by a few daily buses. Please read my transportation tips for more details.

    Bosanska Krupa is located at the banks of the rivers Una and Krusnica, approximately 30 km northeast of Bihac.

    In the town centre a mosque, a Catholic and a Serbian Orthodox church stand very close to each other and can be taken in one photo.

    The history of the Serbian-Orthodox Nativity of the Virgin Mary Church dates back to 1882, whereas the town mosque's history (Gradska dzamija) is even about 100 years older. Both buildings, as well as the Catholic Church were destroyed and rebuilt several times in their histoy.

    Another landmark of the small town are the ruins of a 13th century fortress on a small hill. From here panoramic views of the city centre and the rivers can be enjoyed.

    Related to:
    • Trains
    • Backpacking
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Scars of the recent war

    by HORSCHECK Written Jun 18, 2013

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Scars of the recent war

    Even in the city centre of Bihac you will still notice quite a few bulletted buildings or at least damaged facades from the recent war.

    Theses scars of the war probably date back to the siege of Bihac, which took place from June 1992 until August 1995.

    I took the attached photo in the direct neighbourhood of the Fethija Mosque, right in the heart of Bihac's city centre.

    Related to:
    • Backpacking
    • Trains
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    The oldiest part of the Castle...

    by croisbeauty Updated Aug 16, 2011

    1.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    old part of the castle

    The oldest part of the castle dated to the end of 13th century when it become the seat of Dukes from Blagaj. Since the castle was burned down, in several ocasions, it undergoned many reconstructions in mixed styles. There are rumours it will become private property again and completely reconstructed.

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    The castle Park, once the Art...

    by croisbeauty Updated Aug 16, 2011

    1.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    sculptures

    During times of Yugoslavia the castle used to housed artists from all over the world, offering free summer workshop. Sculptors were donated stones for their peaces of art, free accomodation and food while they had to donate their works in return, once when finished. However, not much valuable peaces of art could be seen inside the castle.

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    The Castle house entrance

    by croisbeauty Updated Aug 15, 2011

    1.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    the house of Lothar von Berks

    During the rules of Austro-Ungarian, the castle was bought by Lothar von Berks who was governor of the place. Although the ownership was disputed, von Berks constructed magnificent house inside the walls and on the ruins of former building. He used to live at Ostrozac untill 1938 when was forced to live. After Big War the castle was nationalized by the state of Yogoslavia.

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Ostrožac, closer look

    by croisbeauty Updated Aug 15, 2011

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Ostrozac

    The castle of Otrozac, situated 15 kilometres north-east of Cazin, was first mentioned in 1286 as a seat of dukes from Blagaj. In 1577 it was conquered by the Ottomans becoming important garnison. In its history the castle was burned down, several times and therefore undergonned many reconstructions. From 1878 its a part of Austro-Ungarian and becoming the private property of Lothar von Berks. Later on it was nationalized, becoming property of the state.
    The ownership of the castle is still disputed but the local citizens are permitted to use the castle ground for concerts and entertainment.

    Was this review helpful?

  • Buildings

    by Mina17 Written Aug 18, 2005

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Bihać

    Bihać served as headquarters for the liberation army Of Josip Broz Tito during W.W.2 1939-1945.

    Was this review helpful?

  • d_d's Profile Photo

    Dead advice

    by d_d Updated Aug 3, 2003

    3 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Arabic advices

    On the street lamps, you can notice many dead advices with arabic writings: they give you the info about the death of a man, as in Italy they do from the walls with Italian writings.

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Bihac

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

124 travelers online now

Comments

Bihac Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Bihac off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bihac sightseeing.

View all Bihac hotels