Blagaj Travel Guide

The Dervish Monastery.
    The Dervish Monastery.
  • Blagaj

Blagaj Things to Do

• Zelena pecina (green cave)

You can enter the green cave by boat. I have no idea how much this costs and what there is to see. The fact is that old pottery dating back to 3000 - 2800 BC was found in the cave.The cave is located above the spring of the Buna river one of the fastest flowing in Europe.

• Tekke - Derwish monastery

The Derwish monastery or Tekke as it is called was first built by derwishes of the Bektashi order around 1470. Over the centuries ownerships changed from one order to the next. In 1952 Sufi orders were banned. This derwish monastery with Turkish style elements is the only one in BIH and therefore a national monument. The monastery consisted of...

• Careva mosque

The Careva mosque is also called the Emperor's mosque. It was built in 1520 in the honor of Sultan Suleyman I. It used to have a dome which collapsed in the 19th century. In 1891 the Austrian architect Max David designed the plans for a wooden dome which was then built. The minaret is around 20 meters high.

• Famous Derwishes

In the mausoleum the so called Turbeh are the relics of Sari Saltuk and Achik Basha. Sari Saltuk was a Turkmenistani Islamic missionary from the 13th century. One story goes that after his death he had 8 coffins sent to 8 different countries but only one would contain this body and people would travel to all of them and while doing so spread the...

• Tekija House

Enjoy the silence and admire the beauty of this unique turkish-styled house near one of the biggest sources in Europe.

• Tekija Dervish Monastery

This house was built in the 1500s at the base of a 200m cliff and next to the foot of the Buna River. Entrance fee is only 2KM. Please, no shorts and women must wear a head scarf (available at the museum - no charge). At the entrance of the museum, there are many souvenirs on offer, including a lot of Islamic music. You can also get drinks and...

Blagaj Restaurants

view from the hill 3 more images

by yumyum Updated Oct 14, 2008

The restaurant Vrelo Blagaj has a beautiful setting. You will find it across the Buna river from the Derwish monastery. The restaurant also has its own man-made island. Therefore a lot of tables are right at the Buna river.

Service was friendly. The menu card had no drink section. So, after our bad experience in Budapest we first ask the prices of various drinks but here is all in order and prices were totally normal. The restaurants on the Buna river are of course specialized in local trout dishes, but we didn't fancy any fish on our visit.

You can't beat the location of this restaurant here. You cross a small stone bridge to get there.

Favorite Dish: I opted for veal medaillons in gorgonzola sauce on green noodles for 15 KM, a vanilla frappe for 4 KM and a soft drink.

The food and frappe was average and nothing special. It may be different with a typical local dish.

Please note there are not only tourists frequenting these restaurants but they are also popular with the locals from nearby Mostar who often drive here for an evening meal.

Blagaj Transportation

• Bus #10 also stops at Mostar Railway/Bus...

If you arrive in Mostar at the Railway station or the nearby Bus station for national/international busses, you may catch here the yellow Mostar bus to Blagaj. Note that this bus does not stop at the "main" bus station, but at a stop just across the main road passing by. One ticket from here to Blagaj was 2,10 KM in October 2008.

• By bus

The local public bus from Mostar runs to Blagaj. Line no. 11 runs further than Blagaj but you can get off in Blagaj. Line no. 10 ends in Blagaj.Since there are not that many buses running per day, you best go to the tourist office near the famous bridge in Mostar and ask for the times and catch the bus at Spanski Trg (Spanish square). You buy the...

• Blagaj Hotels

0 Hotels in Blagaj

Blagaj Shopping

closed shops

by yumyum Written Oct 13, 2008

When you approach the Derwish monstery you will see some souvenir stalls. Well, when we visited on a Thursday afternoon in September they were closed. I assume that they will be open on weekends. The only stall that was open was the one where the vendor doubled as the gate keeper to the monastery. Inside the monastery there is also a souvenir shop which sells books and postcards and other bits and pieces.

Blagaj Local Customs

• craic's Profile Photo
    The photo I shouldn't have taken

by craic Updated May 18, 2007

Next to the beautiful cliff with the spring of water looming up out of the earth is a Dervish nunnery housed in a most charming two story white cottage. There is a coffee shop underneath and I unthinkingly took a snap of some of the customers who were mostly women wearing all manner of headscarves. I was quickly told that I was being rude.
    This is a place of pilgrimage.
    I was told if I would take my shoes off (I was okay with shoes off) and would cover my head I could go upstairs. I wasn't easy with covering my head. I got all stiff and recalcitrant. I wouldn't wear one of the scarves provided but instead just pulled the hood of my purple raincoat up.
    It felt very much like intruding - we walked into prayers. I must say the prayers seemed easy with us looking at them - but I didn't feel easy with looking at them.
    It just felt very very wrong.
    There was also an embalmed body in a room with a grille on the door.
    I was getting more and more uneasy and I was definitely in the wrong place.
    I clattered down the stairs, pulling my raincoat hood off and reclaimed my shoes.
    Krista laughed at me and said when I had to cover my head I looked as if I was itching all over.
    But it is a very interesting thing to do so maybe you would like to take the opportunity to do it.
    Men are allowed to go up and look - but they don't have to cover their heads.

Blagaj Warnings and Dangers

Citizens of BIH don't pay entry fee 1 more image

by yumyum Updated Aug 8, 2009

Well, I actually couldn't decide whether I should put this under local customs or here.

Anyway, citizens of Bosnia and Hercegovina don't have to pay any entry fee to the Derwish monastery as it is a local monument.

For all the paying tourists:
    Make sure you get an entrance ticket handed to you as a receipt. The museums in BIH have lovely tickets which make nice souvenirs but sometimes money disappears into deep pockets, so make sure you ask for your souvenir. You may see the ticket on the second photo.

Another warning when visiting the monastery. In order to enter the building itself you need to be dressed up properly. So, no shorts for men for instance. For ladies, it's skirt down to the floor time as well as scarf time and your arms need to be covered. But don't worry, if your dress code is not adequate. Simply borrow the scarf and wrap-around skirt from the attendents at no extra cost.

Blagaj Off The Beaten Path

• Stjepan Grad (castle ruins)

High above Blagaj you may spot the ruins of Stjepan grad on the Hum mountain.In the 1st century AD the Daorsi, an illyrian tribe, built the first fortress here. Later the Romans built a fort at the same place. The castle that replaced the fortress became a major center of the Hum region. Over the centuries the castle changed hands several times to...

• Blagaj

Za sve koji su zeljni avanture i dozivjeti istinski spoj prirode i kulture preporucujemo da posjete blagaj i uzivaju u kulturno historijskom nasljijedju i prirodi...ali i istarziti veliko broj spilja koje se nalaze na platou podvelezja ali i takodje vrela Bune ...Ovo je jedna od fotki ..Vrela Bune u Blagajuwww.knvtourist.info

• Ask a Question

Got a question about Blagaj? Get an answer from our Location locals and frequent travelers

Blagaj Sports & Outdoors

rental canoes 1 more image

by yumyum Written Oct 13, 2008

In Blagaj you can rent canoes. In the warm season you paddle along the Buna river.

In the village by the large car park there is a tourist office (second photo). I assume that it might be open during the summer school holidays but in September it was deserted. There you can also book river trips.

Blagaj Favorites

destroyed church 1 more image

by yumyum Written Oct 13, 2008

Favorite thing: When travelling in BIH, you cannot overlook the destructions of war. From the bus to Blagaj we saw two ruins of churches. One of them you can see on the photo.

With destruction comes death and therefore you will see large cemeteries. Also in Blagaj near the mosque there is an old cemetery but before the last bus stop on the left there is a newer cemetery which features a domed fountain (second photo).

Instant Answers: Blagaj

Comments

Map of Blagaj