Medugorje Travel Guide

• Things to Do

Medugorje Things to Do

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 24, 2008

I was in Croatia on a business trip and wasn't expecting to visit Bosnia at all. It was quite a bonus to find myself there (and particularly in Medugorje) on Easter Sunday morning.

I am a Catholic so it was probably particularly special for me, but for anyone of any religion it is a treat to worship at the Church here on Easter Sunday.

There are Masses in different languages at different times, but the English Mass is shortly after 12 noon.

I found that the pilgrims at this Mass are mostly Americans and they are very devout. They even made more of a show of Devoutness (is that a word?) than us Irish.

The Church was packed to the gills and we had to push our way in. There was a scrabble for seats. The Americans had a little choir up at the front and a number of Priests concelebrated the Mass. Even for the sceptics I would say few could deny there was a special mood about the place - very peaceful. The singing was wonderful and everyone joined in.

I am so glad I experienced this.

Queueing for Confession
    • Religious Travel

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 24, 2008

As you can imagine, there are many different shops and stalls selling Religious artefacts and souvenirs in Medugorje. They line the main street beneath the Hill where the Apparitions took place.

Jozo Ostojic-Josic has a studio here, but it is unlike all of the others because everything here is original. Most of it is hand carved by Jozo himself.

Jozo sculpts in stone and wood and works on both Religious and non religious pieces. He has exhibited internationally and we were honoured to have our purchases personally autographed by him while we were there.

It is said that he has rock star status in Bosnia so we counted ourselves lucky to become friends of his while we were there. We had several lunches and dinners together and the man's talent always shines through no matter what the topic for discussion. Intelligent and sharp, you can tell immediately that he has a great talent.

His works on sale at his studio start simply at small Rosary beads and hand made pieces of jewelry. They progress to elaborate Religious carvings in wood and stone.

In addition to what's on display Joso has many non religious pieces and also accepts commissions worldwide.

• Religious Travel

• Medugorje Hotels

0 Hotels in Medugorje

Instant Answers: Medugorje

Comments

Medugorje Travel Guide
Map of Medugorje