Mostar Tourist Traps

View from the car park by Benetton
    by SabrinaSummerville
  • a destroyed building during the civil war
    a destroyed building during the civil...
    by neodue
  • Tourist Traps
    by Krumlovgirl

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Mostar

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Parking Problems

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 13, 2008

View from the car park by Benetton

We were lucky to have the knowledge of various "locals" in relation to travelling in and around Mostar.

We had a car and we were warned to be very careful where we parked. Unsuspecting travellers can have their cars vandalised or broken into and robbed.

Unique Suggestions: We were advised to park in the square by Benetton. This we did and we noted that there is an attendant on duty. For a small fee he will keep an eye on your car for the day.

• Business Travel

• neodue's Profile Photo

Car park

by neodue Written Mar 22, 2008

a destroyed building during the civil war

Around the old town it is very difficult to find car park.If you go there by your be careful
    for the tricks of the car park owners.They tell you high price 10KM (around 8 US$)for car park.
    When you say it is expensive and want just one hour park they say it is whole day price.
    I accepted it because it was very warm and my daughter was crying.But I have checked the ticket they gace me .It was saying whole day just 2KM.I showed the ticket to the owner and he gave my money back told me "GO AWAY" I do not remember the name of the car park but
    it is just next to the bridge and in the Croat side.

Fun Alternatives: I suggest you to go 500m away from the bridge there is a satelite city.you can park your car there .It is free.Near the building which I show you the picture.Next to this building.

• maya1902's Profile Photo

don't trust the taxists

by maya1902 Written Mar 6, 2008

when i arrived from Split to the Mostar's main bus station, some taxists offered to keep us in the centre with 10 euro. we accept for 8 euro. the trip was about 6-7 minutes, and when we arrived we were surprised to see that a meal costs less than the taxi and a big room with kitchen was the same(about 15 euros for two people). so go on foot, distances are all quite little or offer at the most 2-3 euro.

• craic's Profile Photo

Faites Vos Jeux

by craic Updated Jan 7, 2007

The diver and his handler (Pics by KristaB)

If Krista hadn't been with me to translate I wouldn't have known what was going on.
    As we arrived on the bridge there was a guy in red speedos and white top standing on the bridge looking as if he might dive. The famous dive off the Mostar bridge that I saw on TV when the bridge was rebuilt.
    Then he is clinging to the outside of the rail. I never even noticed his handler working the crowd.
    Apparently - it is a tourist trap, a scam. But, I think, a fun scam.
    You have to bet on whether he will dive or not.
    He usually doesn't dive. Then every so often he does.
    If I had known what was going on I would have invested some money. I would have bet he didn't dive - so I could lose my money and get a pic of him diving.
    If enough of us got together and bet that he didn't - I bet he would.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Old Town Shopping

by Krumlovgirl Written Jan 13, 2005

There are a bunch of shops in the old town along the riverside that are all just about exactly alike. They sell pretty much the same stuff, but the prices vary. A lot. Before you buy that beautiful textile or that copper pot make sure that you bargain hunt first. I hate to buy something at one store and then find it at half the price a few stores down.

Unique Suggestions: When I shop in Mostar I like to hit the individual artists' shops. Some of the other crafts are oftentimes made at a factory while if you buy straight from the artist you have a better chance of getting something of high quality. I especially like to buy paintings,although they can be difficult to pack when it's time to go back home. I also like the colored copper and tin tea sets.

• Biljana's Profile Photo

~KUJUNDZILUK~

by Biljana Written Oct 8, 2004

Expensive souvenirs

While I feel that Kujundziluk is a must see in Mostar, I feel that shopping here is a tourist trap. As in any touristy part of any city in the world, items in Kujundziluk are typically overpriced.

Unique Suggestions: You should make the point of visiting Kujundziluk and browsing the shops. But look for better prices elsewhere in the city.

• Prasnjavi's Profile Photo

No etrance to the Old Bridge

by Prasnjavi Updated Apr 1, 2004

Turn left here

You can not come close (by foot) to the Old Bridge. It is closed buy gate with the warning that "unemployed-prohibited". The only way to come close to the Bridge is to turn left here and see it from Auxiliary bridge.

• mel_bee's Profile Photo

Keep your head with the dual currency!

by mel_bee Written Aug 26, 2002

Be careful with your money! 1 Euro is worth 2 KM so don't get ripped off! Especially taxi drivers will try and overcharge - as usual fix the price before you go anywhere and some of them don't like to go from one side of the town to the other. Double rate applies before 5:30 am.

• TIMER's Profile Photo

Rijeka Neretva izvire na...

by TIMER Updated Aug 26, 2002

Rijeka Neretva izvire na planini Lebrsnik i tece ka sjeverozapadu preko Konjica do Jablanickog jezera, a nakon toga ka jugozapadu preko Mostara, prema Jadranskom moru. Njena ukupna duzina je 255 km. U svom gornjem toku, rijeka prolazi kroz kanjone i nenastanjena podrucja. U ovom podrucju, voda iz rijeke je pitka i medju najciscim je vodama u svijetu.'
    Pred svoje cistoce i prelijepih predjela kroz koje prolazi, Neretva ocrava i po svojoj smaragdnozelenoj boji kakvu je tesko pronaci u drugim rijekama i drugim krajevima.

Neretva river flowing in Bosnia and Hercegovina and in Croatia. The Neretva River rises on Lebrsnik Mountain and flows northwest past Konjic to Jablanica (Jablanicko) Lake, then southwest via Mostar to enter the Adriatic Sea. Its total length is 140 miles (225 km). The upper course of the river runs through canyons and gorges in uninhabited country.

The Emerald of Herzegovina... this wild canyon river flows over 100 kilometer into the Adriatic Sea. In the Upper Canyon are some of the most breathtaking views in all of BiH. Deep canyon walls, endemic pine trees and flowers, and a wild, pristine ambiance that only the Neretva can offer. The lower Neretva is an ideal vacation destination with its beautiful lake systems lined with beaches, holiday homes, and nature motels for swimming, boat rides, water skiing, fishing, or just a peaceful day in the sun. Rafting trips on the Neretva are offered by several professional rafting operators - most of which are based in the northern Herzegovina's town of Konjic.

• TheaIren's Profile Photo

Jumping man

by TheaIren Written Sep 27, 2007

Bravery test

Mostar men have traditional kind a bravery test to jump down from bridge and
    now they cash money to jump.

• TIMER's Profile Photo

Jablanicas lake - Jablanicko...

by TIMER Written Aug 26, 2002

Jablanicas lake - Jablanicko jezero nastalo vjestackim putem, prostire se duz magistralnog puta
    M-17 izmedju Konjica i Jablanice.

Instant Answers: Mostar

Comments

Mostar Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Mostar tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mostar sightseeing.