In the big building Dom radničke solidarnosti, from the back side of National and University Library is placed where is settle Children's Theatre of the Republika Srpska and Youth center.
Administrative Service of Banja Luka is in 2012 gave official permission to use Youth center to Youth Council of Banja Luka (OSBL), the largest youth organization in Bosnia. The Youth Council have a aim to promotes and implements programs for youth concerning contemporary art and culture, education and sports. The program contains all art forms and disciplines: visual arts and multimedia, dance, theater and music. It is place for organized educational programs and a variety of other activities for youth.
Youth Center also functions as a platform to promote artists, new ideas and initiatives that are in the interest of youth in Banja Luka.
This cultural center for young people contain: new stereo equipment, gallery, renovation and modernization of facilities and equipment designed for theater and film industry. Today realized over 1000 different programs and projects, and is visited by more than 180 000 young people so that it became the main meeting youth where they can satisfy their needs for culture, education and entertainment. The aim is to be a conduit for local and foreign artists and to linking the diverse cultural scene and thus enriched the city's cultural scene.
The Youth Centre is a cultural institution in the city of Banja Luka.
NB - From April 2013. Youth Centre was close until future notice.
Former mortgage bank (Serbian Cyrillic: Хипотекарна банка, read: Hipotekarna banka) monumental building built in 1936. years, and they have, in addition to elements of Bauhaus, bold and neoclassical elements. In front of building are two bronze figures of peasants, which is flanked by a representative portal, made by Ukrainian sculptor Volodemer Zahorodnjuk (Serbian Cyrillic: Володемар Зехородљук). Since the end of 2008 it is known like The Palace of the Republika Srpska (Serbian Cyrillic: Палата Републике Српске). It is residence of President of Republika Srpska.
In the building Dom radničke solidarnosti, from the back side of National and University Library is placed where is settle Children's Theatre of the Republika Srpska and Youth center.
That two public organizations share small amphitheater and main corridor.
Children's Theatre of Republika Srpska from Banja Luka was established on 30 December 1955. year. The first professional ballet and puppet plays Children's theater performed in May and October 1956th year. For the past 50 years of activity in Banja Luka, Serbian Republic Children's theater scene is set at 275 premiere, and the show is watched by more than three million viewers.
Since 1998 is a frequent guest of the European scene. For his work, The Children's Theatre has won many city, republic and national awards in the former Yugoslavia.
Since 2002 is the organizer of the International Children's Theatre Festival, which each year brings together theater in ten European countries.
In this complex is combine a Puppet Museum, exhibition salon and sector for publishing.
Dom radničke solidarnosti is modern and huge building in is located in Center of city, near Cities main market - Gradska tržnica (Serbian Cyrillic: Градска тржница).
National and university library of Republika Srpska (Serbian Cyrillic: Национална и универзитетска библиотека Републике Српске, read: Nacionalna i univerzitetska biblioteka Republike Srpske), short NUB, is one of institutions with in.
National Library trough history:
- It was establishment on 25th November 1935th. First name was National Library of King Peter I the Great Liberator.
- On 30 July, 1980 The National Library changed its name and became the National and University Library'' Petar Kočić''.
- Since 1999 the National and University Library'' Petar Kocic'' by Government of Republika Srpska declared the National and University Library of the Republika Srpska ''Petar Kocic''.
- Decision of 7 December 1999 it was renamed to National and University Library of the Republika Srpska.
Within the basic unit of the City Library there are several departments: Informative and loans department, Children's ward Borik with reading room, a branch of library in Obilićevo part of city with a reading room, a branch of library with a reading room in Starčevica part of city, department for Cultural, educational and publishing activities and internet club.
Here is also a rooms for France cultural club and German.
It is open for visitors during week from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m., on Sunday from 8 a.m. till 2 p.m. It is close on Saturday.
It has a close parking and elevator for disabled.
Specific natural and historic complex known as Imperial road (Serbian Cyrillic: Царски друм, read: Carski drum) are area with plane trees, of two connected street in very center of city. That is King Petar I Karadjordjevic Street and Mladen Stojanovic Street. Its planting started in 1882. Many prestigious residential buildings are here: old mansions, built during Austria-Hungarian occupation, small railway station (pizzeria today) and many others.
Svetislav Milosavljević popular Tisa (Serbian Cyrillic: Светислав Милосављевић Тиса) was first governor ("Ban") of province Vrbaska Banovina within Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians.
Ban Milosavljević was born on 7th September 1882 in Niš (Serbia). From October 1905 till 1907 his was educated on High Military Academy. It serve army during two Balkans wars at the beginning of 20th century. During that time he serve as assistant to headquarters of the First Army and it was leader alongside with famous Generals Mišić and Hadžić. For its military accomplishments he awarded with numerous national, French, English, Romanian and Polish medals. He left military service and begins to deal with politics 1927th. On 8th November 1929 he become Governor of Vrbaske Banovine.
He is initiator of building Banski dvori and, before that, Palace of Ministry of Transport and General Directorate of Railways in Belgrade. He die 1960.
The first ban Vrbas Banovina Svetislav Tisa Milosavljevic (1929-1934) during his mandate built a large number of objects that should be noted Bans administration and Bans Palace, National theater, Hotel Palace, Sokolski dom, City Park, the Ethnographic Museum, schools, hospitals and other.
Holy Trinity Church (Serbian Cyrillic: Црква Свете тројице, read: Crkva Svete Trojice) is Serb Orthodox church. It was build near the center of Banja Luka like a memory of destroying Chist the Saviour church.
Believing that the church would never be able to be restored, the Orthodox Serbs built a new church in a new location called The Church of the Holy Trinity and here is up today.
The church was built in 1963. to 1969. Next to it is a beautiful building Episcopal Palace where the seat of the diocese.
Whole area of center (downtown) of Banja Luka are full of famous touristic attraction and landmarks of modern city. One of them are hotel "Bosnia" (Serbian Cyrilic: Хотел "Босна", read: Hotel "Bosna"). This tip is about famous coffee shop on parterre of this hotel.
When people in Banja Luka say "See you in Bosnia" that what they meant. This is famous and favorite meeting point. It is great pleasure seat here in the city center and drink coffee (or what you prefer). This is 120 year tradition.
Hotel "Bosnia" has long tradition. First hotel was build on this spot in 1895. by Brewery from Ljubljana (Slovenia). It was completely destroy in earthquake in 1969. Today is modern hotel.
Banja Luka is the first city in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which opens the club of national minorities
Association of National Minorities of the Repubika Srpska is association of citizens of the Republika Srpska which voluntarily associate members of national minorities, citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina - Republika Srpska for the exercise of the rights of national minorities under the Constitution of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Constitution of Republika Srpska, also European Convention on the Protection of National Minorities.
Persons belonging to national minorities to join the Alliance through their associations or individual to safeguard his identity, national origin, preservation and nurturing of language, culture and religion of the nation they belong to. There is seat of 11 national associations: Czechs, Jewish, Ukrainians, Polish, Italian, Hungarian, Slovenians, Macedonian, Germans, Slovaks and Roma population.
Alliance will particularly strive for the protection of civil, national and religious rights of national minorities united in the Association.
During my study in Banja Luka I spend some time here learning Czech language (and in University too) and about their culture. It was the best memories. The association of Czech in Banja Luka call Češka besjeda. It has significant role in establish cooperation between University of Banja Luka and Masaryk University in Brno (South Moravian region in Czech Republic). I attend classes in club here and at University. Thanks to the commitment and knowledge of the Czech language, I got a scholarship for a shorter stay in the Czech Republic.
The association is organizer many cultural events for promoting cultural diversity of the City. They also organized a free classes for language learning.
Also, Banja Luka is the only municipality in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which has a special department that deals with the issues of national minorities.
Christ the Savior Church (temple) (Serbian Cyrillic: Саборни храм Христа Спаситеља, read: Saborni hram Hrista Spasitelja) is located in the heart of City.
The church is build between 1925 and 1929.
In the moment of making decision of building it set deadline for 600 days to build a temple base 22.10 x 19.50 m, with 46 m high tower without a cross and a dome diameter of 6 meters at a height of 22.70 m. Besides the financial trouble, works on temple were completed before the agreed deadline.
It is destroy during WWII by Croatian "Ustasha" in 1941. After war the smaller church was build near the original place - today Holly Trinity church (Serbian Cyrillic: read: Crkva Svete Trojice) in his memory.
On the original spot long time it was forbidden to rebuild the church. Long time in that place was monument of fighters of WWII.
In the early nineties Banja Luka parish received permission to rebuild the destroyed temple, and the monument to the fallen soldiers moved to a nearby site, also owned by the Serbian Orthodox Church. Reconstruction of the temple started in 1993. when foundations were blessed by Serbian Patriarch Pavle with the bishops and priests of the Serbian Orthodox Church.
The Church is constructed of red and yellow bricks that were imported from the Middle East. The walls have three major components: stone, reinforced concrete, and brick. The cupolas are covered with golden slaked lime, imported from Siberia.
It holds (comfortably) between 800 and 1000 worshippers. In this complex is also and shop and cottage where believers can light a candle for their dearest (living and dead).
In front of secondary entrance (in front of Banski dvori) is two places with remains of original temple destroying 12. April 1941 in bombing by Germans airplanes.
- Matins 7:30 a.m.
- Evening 5 p.m. (winter) and 6 p.m. (summer)
- Vigil on the eve of Sundays and holidays: 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. (summer)
- Divine Liturgy on Sundays and feast during week (a calendar marked in red letters - big feasts) 9 p.m.
- Divine Liturgy (for deceased) - every Saturday and after mention (except holiday - calendar marked in red letters - big feasts) 8 a.m.
- General memorial service - every Saturday at 11 a.m.
- Mournful canon of Christ the Savior - Sundays after Liturgy.
Monument to fallen soldiers of WWII or known as Monument to fallen soldiers of National Liberation Struggle (Serbian Cyrillic: Споменик палим борцима Народно ослободилачке борбе or НОБ, read: Spomenik palim borcima Narodno oslobodilačke borbe or NOB) is located in city center.
In the middle of the monumental complex is tall memorial wall with a five-pointed star on top. Around the monument ware placed several little monuments that commemorate heroes of WWII from local area.
An interesting inscription on a monument in the Cyrillic and Latin alphabets: Glory to the fallen fighters for the freedom of their motherland, brotherhood and a better life for our people.
The Archive of Republika Srpska is Republic administrative organization within the Ministry of Education and Culture.
It is located in one of the first major buildings, which were built by Austria's military command building. The people became known as the imperial house, as exemplified by the power of the Austrian Empire.
The main purpose of this building usual was to serve as military barrack, and since 1974 it was used as an archive, first named as Archive of Bosanska Krajina.
It is interesting that this is a building that was longest used by the public in Bosnia and Herzegovina, it is more than 120 years in a function of state government.
Working hours are from 8 p.m. till 4 a.m
Reading-room working hours are from 9 p.m. till 2 a.m. every day (except on Saturdays and Sundays)
National Theater of Republika Srpska (Serbian Cyrillic: Народно позориште Републике Српске, read: Narodno pozorište Republike Srpske) is oldest theater in Banja Luka and second in country (after Theater in Sarajevo).
Some interesting information about Theater:
The Theater was official open from 18th October 1930 by decision of Royal local government of province call Vrbaska banovina in Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians with governor Svetislav Tisa Milosavljević (from 2. September 1930).
At the official opening premiere was played three one-act plays were with patriotic Yugoslav character: Haji Loja by Branislav Nušić, Hey Slavs ba Risto Odavić and Back by Budimir Švabić.
Trough his history (as many institution here) was changing his name several time since its foundation. Original name was - The National Theater of Vrbaska banovina and present name is from 1999.
First location of Theater was renovated building of Rudović family and in this building named "House of King Peter I the Liberator" is from 1934.
Author was engineer Josif Goldner and it was build from August 1933 till September 1934. Theater building from 1934 contain certain elements of Bauhaus style, while retaining some features of neoclassicism.
The first major renovations done in 1959. year, was designed by Vladimir Dobrović, when the scene is technically modernized and room interiors and generally rearranged. According to the project Vjenčeslav Rihter, after the catastrophic earthquake which struck Banja Luka 1969th was performed as the second major reconstruction. During adaptation 2004th was made modern theater scene call "Petar Kocic" with 77 seats.
This is one of two professional Theater in Republika Srpska (besides of Children Theater of Republika Srpska).
The plays are performed almost daily, and tickets are always sold out. One of the largest and certainly the most visited cultural events here is The Theater Fest, which is held every year with the participation of many national and international actors ensembles.
Banja Luka is develop in modern city with many cultures sight. There is many of interesting sculptures, statues and monuments in city on river Vrbas.
One of interesting is located near famous Dom radničke solidarnosti building. It settled on prominent lawn near the part of building where was Children theater of Republika Srpska. Now is still located near the Theater but on other side of building. It is sculpture of one of favorite child book mascot in Former Yugoslavia. It is character cal Ježurka Ježić (Serbian Cyrillic: Јежурка Јежић, read: Jezhurka Jezhich). It is main character of book call "Ježeva kućica" (Serbian Cyrillic: Јежева кућица, read: Jezheva kucica). Today, after all this years, the children still liked the story about Ježurka. Ježurka (means hedgehog) speaks about his love for his own home, because nowhere is no place like home. All those who do not love their home end up miserably, as in this story, wolf an wild boar.
The author of book is Branko Ćopić, and monument dedicated to this famous writer is located in front of entrance to National and universal library of Republika Srpska. This is on the other side of building call Dom radničke solidarnosti.
Museum of Republika Srpska (Serbian Cyrillic: Музеј Републике Српске, read: Muzej Republike Srpske) is another major institution that is located in one part of famous building named Dom radnicke solidarnosti since 1982.
This is one of many legacy that ban Svetislav Tisa Milosavljević left to Banja Luka. It founded in 26th September 1930 according to order king Aleksandar Karađorđević (Serbian Cyrillic: Александар Карађорђевић). As many institution in Bosnia and Herzegovina and this one was changing its name many times since its foundation. First was Museum of Vrbas Banovina (Banovina - a regional unit in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia). Present name held from 14th November 1992 according to decision of the Government of the Republika Srpska. It was official declare as central institution for protection of movable cultural property of Republika Srpska.
The Museum of the Republika Srpska operate within several departments:
1. Center for the material culture and art (divided into several sections for: archeology, history, ethnology and ethnography, history of art and department of science),
2. Documentation center with a library, photo labs and archive documents,
3. The Center for conservation and restoration,
4. The Center for education and
5. The Department of general services
From the total area in which the museum is located (3648,41 m2), permanent exhibit occupies the space of 1561 m2. In his collection of the museum keeps about 35000 exhibits a specialized museum library has 14000 books.
Next to the Museum is permanent exhibition in outdoor of heavy armor and train engines.
The official site of Museum offers virtual tour.
This building was open for visitors every day from 8 am till 8 pm.
Banja Luka is political, administrative, universitiy and cultural centre of Republika Srpska. It is lots of places of special intrest which visitors can see and many thing that here can...