Sport hall "Obilicevo" is build in the same name part of Banja Luka and, with Dom radničke solidarnosti, is multifunctional building.
Sports hall "Obilićevo" formerly called Social home "Mejdan". The composition of public sports facilities sports hall "Borik" sports hall "Obilićevo" was added in 1995.
As part of the cinema hall with 400 seats and a stage with 4x8 m, which now uses the City Theater "Jazavac". The movie theater can be organized public meetings, seminars, film screenings, etc.
And also record TV shows. The complex is accommodated and a branch of the National University Library of the Republika Srpska "Petar Kocic" with a rich collection of books and literature.
The hall is more office space, mostly empty, hair dress salon and a bar. Also, there is American corner, behind cafe. In that place you can participate in various workshops, discussion with English native language and read books on English. Interesting is that in reading room within American corner is a biggest collection of books on Czech language (two other is in national club of Czech minority and Faculty of philosophy).
I spend some time here in Youth center Kastel during my study here and I have the best memory.
Youth Centre Kastel in Banja Luka is part of youth program Zdravo da ste (Hi neighbor) organization. Due to ''open'' youth club young people can each day to spend quality their leisure time. Center through their programs, gathered the children and young people aged 5-30 years.
The aim is to support the development and social integration of children and young people, especially those with developmental problems, and young people from vulnerable groups and prepare young people for active participation in a democratic society.
The Center has provided the exchange and free flow of information among young people, and structured and organized leisure of children and youth.
Here you can find diverse programs: theater, dance, music, painting, etc. There is a sports equipments: table tennis, volleyball, as well as other social games.
The Center also have the opportunity to participate in numerous educational activities (courses in foreign languages, computers ...), to socialize with peers.
Also, young people can get involved in activities aimed at the prevention of deviant behavior and improve sexual and reproductive health, as well as all other activities that realize this center.
Organization Zdravo da ste (Hi neighbor) is member of international networks "Youth together" since 2000. The network organizes international meetings, seminars and camps.
In addition to members of the youth center is presenting our work around the world in seminars, camps ...The youth center Kastel is familiar place for students in youth exchange programs Youth in action.
A typical venture organized creative activities for children, youth and adults was achieved through a specially designed program, "August - Month of creative development", which was first implemented in August 2005. year. I was leader of group of children from Doboj on first event.
Youth Centre was established 1th June 1996. Since then, the Center entered into the registry over 2900 members. I was participate in (I think is still) only program of education of youth workers 2005.
The fun fountain where you even can walk trough it without being wet is nice decoration on city main square. The fountain is surrounding with benches and you can seat there and relax after fun walk tour trough Banja Luka.
Beside a National and Childrens Theatre of Republika Srpska, Banja Luka is enriched with another - City theater Jazavac (Serbian Cyrillic: Градско позориште Јазавац, read: Gradsko pozorište Jazavac).
The city theater Jazavac was founded in 2006 by a group of young artists from Banja Luka with the aim of creating a new place for contemporary and more international theater productions and art events for a young audience. Jazavac shows a performance every Thursday on its own stage and provides guest performances for the whole region.
In the tradition of the region the jazavac – the badger – is a metaphor for rebellion and fight for the truth. The name was taken from a novel Jazavac pred sudom (The badger in court) by the writer and national tribune Petar Kočić. The badger is a symbol for satire and critique. As a non-profit organization the city theater Jazavac adapts this attitude for its theater work, being critical and satirical, discovering and supporting young artists. Jazavac's approach to theater is a form of dialogue with current issues and conflicts as well as supporting cultural education. In addition to theater performances Jazavac also offers regular film screenings.
Theatre has 223 seats, and the possibility to add 50 extra seats.
The first theatrical performance "The Shape of Things," directed by Stojan Matavulj, premiered 20th October 2006. in the National Theatre of Republika Srpska. Jazavac has established three young actors (Mario Lukajić, Dejan Zorić and Dragana Marić). The goal is to create a theater for youth actors graduates of the Academy of Arts of the University of Banja Luka to gain professional experience. After several years of work, the theater moved to the former movie theater "Vrbas", which was renovated and inaugurated on 23rd April 2009, today part of Sport hall "Obilićevo".
Jazavac has launched two campaigns: 1.Be a part of our history (Budi dio naše istorije) and We missing plank (Nama fali daska). The big project is and traditional festival call Zaplet - festival mladog glumca (Plot - Festival of the young actor). It held in late October since 2009. It is a international competitive festival. The aim is to promote contemporary art trough different approaches to theater, expanding the boundaries of cultural identity and creates a map of professional contacts, encouraging the development of the local scene and its fuller recognition in the European and broader international context.
You can by a ticket during week from 10 a.m. till 3 p.m. and from 6 p.m. till 8 p.m.
I have a opportunity to watch his play Gabirel (Serbian Cyrilic: Гаврило, read: Gavrilo) 2007 in National Theater of Republika Srpska.
In front of Dom radničke solidarnosti (main building in which is located several public institutions), by entrance to National and university library is monument dedicated to Branko Ćopić.
Who is Branko Ćopić?
Branko Ćopić (Serbian Cyrillic: Бранко Ћопић) was a Yugoslav writer, favorite author mainly for children. He was an ethnic Serb born in the village of Hašani near Bosanska Krupa. He attended schools in Bihać, Banja Luka, Sarajevo, Karlovac and Belgrade. He graduated 1940 at the University of Belgrade Faculty of Philosophy.
Upon the uprising in the Bosanska Krajina in 1941, he joined the Partisans and fight in WWII. At the end of the war he returned to Belgrade where he was, until 1949, the director of a children's magazine called "Pioniri". From 1951 until his death he was a professional writer.
His books have been translated into several worlds languages and some of them have been TV series.Ćopić committed suicide, jumping off Branko's Bridge in central Belgrade.
He was featured on the 0.50 Bosnia and Herzegovina convertible mark bill, which has been withdrawn from circulation and replaced with coins.
Monument to writer and national tribune Petar Kočić (1877-1916) is located in the city's central park whose cares his name.
Authors of this monuments were Antun Augustinčić and Vanja Radauš. The monument was completed 1929th, and there is also a sixth ceremony unveiled November 1932nd year.
Who was Petar Kocic?
Born in village Stričići (Serbian Cyrillic: Стричићи) on Manjača mounting near Banja Luka as son of Orthodox priest. Working as writer, teacher and national and social revolutionist.
In the years ahead the annexation of Bosnia and Herzegovina by Austria-Hungary, he create a newspaper call "Fatherland" (Serbian Cyrillic: Отаџбина, read Otadzbina) in Banja Luka and makes his own political group which preached anti-Austrian and particularly relentless struggle against the remnants of feudal slavery.
Because of his straggle, Kočić was very popular among the people and for the educated youth, and was elected as a deputy in Bosnian parliament in Sarajevo, provincial Austro-Hungarian part of parliament. Seeing as opponent in the state, state agencies was often arrested him and prosecuted. For posts are seen as one of the most daring instigator Serbian people's pride and social justice preachers.
Kocic during his life wrote three collections of short stories, some of which are "On the mountains and under the mountain" and "Cries from Zmijanje" and two political and social satire: Badger before court (theater piece) and A trial (dialogue).
His famous work "Badger before the court" is not just a political satire of local importance, but there are deeper social consequence. David Strbac (main character) is not only Serb from Bosnian Krajina region and peasant, but in general, forever and ever tricked exploited peasant who is aware of his desperate situation and seek justice.
In memory to Petar Kocic government of Republika Srpska was:
- picture of Petar Kočić put as main motif on one dinar banknotes issued 1993rd.
- decide to declare two awards named "Kocic pen" (Serbian Cyrillic: Кочићево перо, read: Kočićevo pero). and "Kočiće books" (Serbian Cyrillic: Кочићева књига, read: Kočićeva knjiga) assigned by "Petar Kocic Foundation, Banja Luka - Belgrade" (Serbian Cyrillic: Задужбина Петра Кочића, Бања Лука - Београд, read Zadužbina Petra Kočića, Banja Luka - Beograd) and
- In the Republika Srpska each year in August held a cultural event call "Kočić gathering" (Serbian Cyrillic: Кочићев збор, read Kočićev zbor)
- park in the center of Banja Luka named after him, also many elementary schools, and build two monuments: Banja Luka and Belgrade.
Gospodska ulica or street (Serbian Cyrillic: Господска улица) is most known street in the city. It is pedestrian zone.
Gospodska ulica it could be translate as Gentlemen street.
Street name dates back to 1878 when the trader Tom Radulovic put on his trade store name Gospodska streets. This unofficial name is most commonly used, despite official who repeatedly changed (today official name Veselin Maslesha street).
The reason why today Gospodska ulica don't have a the right lines scheme is his ground, especially previous excised bar and garden, which is located here at the end of 19th century.
At the end of the 19th century in Gospodska street raised a number low Neo Renaissance building, and later and buildings with elements of Art Nouveau style, intended for trade and housing.
A large number of these objects is still present. The building is decorated with rich ornaments on wreaths around windows and balconies with decorative turrets at the corners.
Today in the buildings along the street are many retail shops that offer goods of domestic and international manufacturers.
City Administration, together with cabinet of Governor of Banja Luka is placed in the Center of City. The building is lookalike as Banski dvori.
Something about this!
During process forming Vrbaska duchies in 1929th and where is the first ban Svetislav Tisa Milosavljevic announced, it was the need to build a representative seats in Banja Luka. For the construction of this palace and Ban's Palace (Banski dvori) was announced in 1930. The official competition for best design was began in March 1931, while the grand opening of the building was eighth November 1932nd. Both structures were predicted many facilities. So in the Civil Administration planned 150 rooms with all the administrative and administrative apparatus Subdivisions while Bans court had Boardroom, conference facilities for receptions, hall, flat ban from the apartment for important visitors, the room heating, kitchens, bathrooms, wardrobes and other premises. Disposition of these objects are resolved block system, with skylights with extremly central steps, deliberately and creatively, with the satisfaction of all functions. Dimensions include street corners, in which, surging facades on three sides, forming a closed blocks. Such architectural solution, incorporating a unified architectural expression of classicism and elements of medieval Serbian architecture, with drawn and accentuated by pilasters, and treated with decorative capitals and archivists semicircular openings that frame.
Today, these buildings serve a similar purpose.
Cultural centre Banski dvori (Serbian Cyrillic: Културни центар Банcки двори, read: Kulturni centar Banski dvori) is one of symbol of Banja Luka.
Bans palace - Banski dvori was build from 1929 till 1932 for the governor ("Ban") of the province call Vrbas banovina in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians. First governor ("Ban") was Svetislav Tisa Milosavljević. His monument and street with his name is in front of building.
From 1955 is part of cultural centre and from 1998 is public institution. It is a place for everyone interesting in different types of cultural and social events such as exhibitions, public discussions, etc.
The design is combination of classicism with elements of medieval Serbian architecture style.
Almost all of interior of building preserve from 1930s with additional of concert and conference room. It is center of cultural and intellectual life of city.
Bans palace is a function of Administrative Services headquarters city of Banja Luka and its mayor, while Bans court next to the cultural center seat of the President of the Republika Srpska, rector and the Radio-Television of Republika Srpska. Great Hall, Town Hall and Blue Hall Bans court represents Banja Luka most luxurious interiors. Here is place where is organized by various sets of educational, cultural and promotional programs and exhibitions.
Kastel (Serbian: Кастел) is located in the very center and it is a monument to the past, witness of the present and the gift to the future.
Kastel complex cover the space of 48.000 square meters, between the walls is 26 610 square meters, and the outside walls around is 21,390 square meters. Ramparts are nine bastions and two drops of the tower within the walls. Within the walls there are several buildings, including the central camp with two towers and a small arsenal, central armory, stone buildings, and several different walls that were dividing and formed some internal spaces.
Numerous documents allow us to greatly consider all phases of the creation and development tvrđave.Prvi beginnings of settlement development on the site of Kastela originate from the Paleolithic era as indicated by findings of stone tools and weapons. The location of this settlement, which is still developing through the era of the Neolithic and Bronze Age settlements is characteristic of the Baden culture as it is situated on the raised parts of the Vrbas river terraces.
A charter from 1525 the precise states fort named CASTELL NOSTRO Bagni LUCA. From some documentation and material evidence it could be conclude that the Banja Luka fortress was built on the site of an older and smaller fortifications after the 1463rd year, as part of the border on the Vrbas in the defense system of the Kingdom of Hungary against Turkey (Jajce was the southernmost point).
Kastel is still place that define a life in the City. For visitors fortress is open everyday from 8 a.m. till 9 p.m. As a place for many cultural events like Neofest it is still symbol of city, symbol of young and urban capital.
Museum of contemporary art of Republika Srpska (Serbian Cyrillic: Музеј савремене умјетности Републике Српске, read: Muzej savremene umjetnosti Republike Srpske) is located in the city center near the city's post office. It is located in a building of the former railway station. The building was adapted for this purpose during early 1980th.
Original was build from 1891-1892 by Austria-Hungarian Government.
The building itself was build as monumental edifice, with a prominent central entrance and side wings which are richly decorated with a representative portals. Also, it build with arched openings on the ground floor, accented by molded cornices and graceful rhythm of rectangular windows on the first floor, while the passengers side originally had a porch on steel columns with decorative capitals. It is a Neo-Renaissance building. It located to the first square, which is still tied for the Imperial road.
The museum was established in 1971 after the earthquake that hit the Banja Luka 1969th. It was action of artists across former Yugoslavia and the world who wanted to help the injured area. From the collection of works of art was founded Art Gallery. Due to the size and importance of art in its possession, Government of the Republic of Serbian, 10 February 2004, was renamed the Museum of Contemporary Art of Republika Srpska.
As part of the Museum of Contemporary Art of RS are four sections: department for museums collection, department for documentations, department for education and department for exhibits and program activities.
The holdings of the Museum of Contemporary Art present its 1500 exhibit objects. All that collection are divided into three important collections: the Bosnian-Herzegovinian art, collection of the former Yugoslav territory and collection of world art.
Since 2006 the museum become a full member of the International Museum Council - ICOM.
In November 2007 the Commission to Preserve National Monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina was awarded this museum a status of National Historic Monuments.
The museum is 3033 m2 large, of which approximately 1000m2 exhibition space. Here we can find: small cabinet for locksmith shop, art storage depot, offices and library with over 5500 books, catalogs and magazines in the field of history and art theory, philosophy and design.
For museum is extremely important Academy of Arts in Banja Luka establish 1998th, which is part of the Art Department for painting and graphics. There is intensive cooperation between the Museum and the Academy of Arts. Thus there was a category for best student selected by the jury of the Museum of Contemporary Art.
In the city center, as well as branch offices in the street King Alfonso XIII, there is a showroom for purchase some of the pieces of the most important artists of Banja Luka and the environment.
Here is also organized and weddings.
The Museum is open from Monday till Sunday from 10 a.m. till 10 p.m. In Saturday museum is close.
In front of secondary entrance for Christ the Savior temple and in front of Banski dvori is two places with remains of original temple of Holly Trinity destroying 12. April 1941 in bombing by Germans airplanes and by Ustasi government during WWII (Independent State of Croatia).
Here is also huge plaque with description and relevant information on three languages: Serbian (Cyrillic), German and English.
TOBL is abbreviation for touristic organization of Banja Luka or tourist board is something that is for many visitors on the top of things-to-do list as in other destination.
Main aim is developing, preservation and protection of tourism values in the Banja Luka municipality. They starts with work since 2004. They offer huge variety of information and it has very good official site that is update.
Epiphany of the Lord church (Serbian Cyrillic: Богојављенска црква, read: Bogojavljenska crkva) was build near city bridge call "Patra".
On Epiphany, 19 January, 2010 (due to Julian calendar which respect Serb Orthodox Church), for the first time since WWII in Banja Luka was restored religious festival called Epiphany lithium.
On the city bridge will be done by recognizing the water with consecration Cross in the river Vrbas, and then the bravest and strongest swim for honorable Cross.
This year, this manifestation was held for the third time after WWII. Twelfth Liturgy was served in all the Orthodox temples in the city of nine hours.
Central liturgy in the Temple of Christ the Savior will serve Bishop Jefrem. After the solemn liturgy will be formed consisting of lithium folklore, military, students in church will carry lithium and priest. The destination was from the Temple of Christ the Savior to the City Bridge "Patra" near Kastel fortress.
The winner was awarded with large coin while all other participants get smaller. It pay tribute to all participants.
Due to maintenance Epiphany liturgy of the Temple of Christ the Savior to the City Bridge, that day from 11 am to 14 pm public traffic was suspended in parts of King Street Peter Karadjordjevic, on the Boulevard Tsar Dusan, Theodore Kolokotronisa, Patras, Isaiah Mitrovic, Macarius Sokolovic, Slavko Rodic, Ljupko Rasic, siblings Kapor and 22 April streets. These buses to transport these streets will be diverted to other routes - decision of City Administration.
Rebrovac is one part of Banja Luka. Situated on Vrbas riverbank near Rebrovac bridge between University center and train station Incel it is semi rural suburban of Banja Luka. Most dominant building there is new Orthodox Church. It has very unusual look for Serbian Orthodox Church. This church is dedicated to Nativity of Virgin Mary (Holly Mary) (Serbian Cyrillic: Црква Рођења Пресвете Богородице, read: Crkva Rođenja Presvete Bogorodice). It is also known as Church on Rebrovac (Serbian Cyrillic: Ребровачка црква, read: Rebrovačka crkva).
Banja Luka is political, administrative, universitiy and cultural centre of Republika Srpska. It is lots of places of special intrest which visitors can see and many thing that here can...