Banski dvori (the Duke Palace), also known as Banovina, was the seat of the Ban (Duke) who ruled in Vrhbosanska Županija (Province) from 1918 to 1941. At that time, in the period of the first Yugoslavia (known as SHS Kingdom), the city of Banja Luka and the northern Bosnia was a part of Croatia.
Nowadays, since 1995, Banja Luka is a part of Republika Srpska.
The church of Christ Saviour (hram Hrista Spasitelja) was recently completely reconstructed. First time it was built from 1925 to 1929 and consacrated in 1939 as the church of Holy Trinity (Sveta Trojica).
In 1941, under the rule of so-called NDH (Independent State of Croatia, which was fascistic construction), the church was pulled down. As a Croat, I am not happy because of that, however, this are historical facts.
Before its flowing into Banja Luka the river is passing trough the nature masterpiece, the Canyon of Vrbas. It used to have very speed streams and lots of whirpools, I remember it when I was a kid.
In the Vrbas River swiming and fishing is possible and allowed.
Banski Dvor (Governor’s Palace) is beautiful building in the very center of the city. National Assembly is in side, such as concert hall, gallery, state television, restaurant… Most of the main cultural and political happening takes place in side of the building.
Banja Luka is the first city in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which opens the club of national minorities
Association of National Minorities of the Repubika Srpska is association of citizens of the Republika Srpska which voluntarily associate members of national minorities, citizens of Bosnia and Herzegovina - Republika Srpska for the exercise of the rights of national minorities under the Constitution of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the Constitution of Republika Srpska, also European Convention on the Protection of National Minorities.
Persons belonging to national minorities to join the Alliance through their associations or individual to safeguard his identity, national origin, preservation and nurturing of language, culture and religion of the nation they belong to. There is seat of 11 national associations: Czechs, Jewish, Ukrainians, Polish, Italian, Hungarian, Slovenians, Macedonian, Germans, Slovaks and Roma population.
Alliance will particularly strive for the protection of civil, national and religious rights of national minorities united in the Association.
During my study in Banja Luka I spend some time here learning Czech language (and in University too) and about their culture. It was the best memories. The association of Czech in Banja Luka call Češka besjeda. It has significant role in establish cooperation between University of Banja Luka and Masaryk University in Brno (South Moravian region in Czech Republic). I attend classes in club here and at University. Thanks to the commitment and knowledge of the Czech language, I got a scholarship for a shorter stay in the Czech Republic.
The association is organizer many cultural events for promoting cultural diversity of the City. They also organized a free classes for language learning.
Also, Banja Luka is the only municipality in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which has a special department that deals with the issues of national minorities.
Museum of contemporary art of Republika Srpska (Serbian Cyrillic: Музеј савремене умјетности Републике Српске, read: Muzej savremene umjetnosti Republike Srpske) is located in the city center near the city's post office. It is located in a building of the former railway station. The building was adapted for this purpose during early 1980th.
Original was build from 1891-1892 by Austria-Hungarian Government.
The building itself was build as monumental edifice, with a prominent central entrance and side wings which are richly decorated with a representative portals. Also, it build with arched openings on the ground floor, accented by molded cornices and graceful rhythm of rectangular windows on the first floor, while the passengers side originally had a porch on steel columns with decorative capitals. It is a Neo-Renaissance building. It located to the first square, which is still tied for the Imperial road.
The museum was established in 1971 after the earthquake that hit the Banja Luka 1969th. It was action of artists across former Yugoslavia and the world who wanted to help the injured area. From the collection of works of art was founded Art Gallery. Due to the size and importance of art in its possession, Government of the Republic of Serbian, 10 February 2004, was renamed the Museum of Contemporary Art of Republika Srpska.
As part of the Museum of Contemporary Art of RS are four sections: department for museums collection, department for documentations, department for education and department for exhibits and program activities.
The holdings of the Museum of Contemporary Art present its 1500 exhibit objects. All that collection are divided into three important collections: the Bosnian-Herzegovinian art, collection of the former Yugoslav territory and collection of world art.
Since 2006 the museum become a full member of the International Museum Council - ICOM.
In November 2007 the Commission to Preserve National Monuments of Bosnia and Herzegovina was awarded this museum a status of National Historic Monuments.
The museum is 3033 m2 large, of which approximately 1000m2 exhibition space. Here we can find: small cabinet for locksmith shop, art storage depot, offices and library with over 5500 books, catalogs and magazines in the field of history and art theory, philosophy and design.
For museum is extremely important Academy of Arts in Banja Luka establish 1998th, which is part of the Art Department for painting and graphics. There is intensive cooperation between the Museum and the Academy of Arts. Thus there was a category for best student selected by the jury of the Museum of Contemporary Art.
In the city center, as well as branch offices in the street King Alfonso XIII, there is a showroom for purchase some of the pieces of the most important artists of Banja Luka and the environment.
Here is also organized and weddings.
The Museum is open from Monday till Sunday from 10 a.m. till 10 p.m. In Saturday museum is close.
Christ the Savior Church (temple) (Serbian Cyrillic: Саборни храм Христа Спаситеља, read: Saborni hram Hrista Spasitelja) is located in the heart of City.
The church is build between 1925 and 1929.
In the moment of making decision of building it set deadline for 600 days to build a temple base 22.10 x 19.50 m, with 46 m high tower without a cross and a dome diameter of 6 meters at a height of 22.70 m. Besides the financial trouble, works on temple were completed before the agreed deadline.
It is destroy during WWII by Croatian "Ustasha" in 1941. After war the smaller church was build near the original place - today Holly Trinity church (Serbian Cyrillic: read: Crkva Svete Trojice) in his memory.
On the original spot long time it was forbidden to rebuild the church. Long time in that place was monument of fighters of WWII.
In the early nineties Banja Luka parish received permission to rebuild the destroyed temple, and the monument to the fallen soldiers moved to a nearby site, also owned by the Serbian Orthodox Church. Reconstruction of the temple started in 1993. when foundations were blessed by Serbian Patriarch Pavle with the bishops and priests of the Serbian Orthodox Church.
The Church is constructed of red and yellow bricks that were imported from the Middle East. The walls have three major components: stone, reinforced concrete, and brick. The cupolas are covered with golden slaked lime, imported from Siberia.
It holds (comfortably) between 800 and 1000 worshippers. In this complex is also and shop and cottage where believers can light a candle for their dearest (living and dead).
In front of secondary entrance (in front of Banski dvori) is two places with remains of original temple destroying 12. April 1941 in bombing by Germans airplanes.
- Matins 7:30 a.m.
- Evening 5 p.m. (winter) and 6 p.m. (summer)
- Vigil on the eve of Sundays and holidays: 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. (summer)
- Divine Liturgy on Sundays and feast during week (a calendar marked in red letters - big feasts) 9 p.m.
- Divine Liturgy (for deceased) - every Saturday and after mention (except holiday - calendar marked in red letters - big feasts) 8 a.m.
- General memorial service - every Saturday at 11 a.m.
- Mournful canon of Christ the Savior - Sundays after Liturgy.
Kastel (Serbian: Кастел) is located in the very center and it is a monument to the past, witness of the present and the gift to the future.
Kastel complex cover the space of 48.000 square meters, between the walls is 26 610 square meters, and the outside walls around is 21,390 square meters. Ramparts are nine bastions and two drops of the tower within the walls. Within the walls there are several buildings, including the central camp with two towers and a small arsenal, central armory, stone buildings, and several different walls that were dividing and formed some internal spaces.
Numerous documents allow us to greatly consider all phases of the creation and development tvrđave.Prvi beginnings of settlement development on the site of Kastela originate from the Paleolithic era as indicated by findings of stone tools and weapons. The location of this settlement, which is still developing through the era of the Neolithic and Bronze Age settlements is characteristic of the Baden culture as it is situated on the raised parts of the Vrbas river terraces.
A charter from 1525 the precise states fort named CASTELL NOSTRO Bagni LUCA. From some documentation and material evidence it could be conclude that the Banja Luka fortress was built on the site of an older and smaller fortifications after the 1463rd year, as part of the border on the Vrbas in the defense system of the Kingdom of Hungary against Turkey (Jajce was the southernmost point).
Kastel is still place that define a life in the City. For visitors fortress is open everyday from 8 a.m. till 9 p.m. As a place for many cultural events like Neofest it is still symbol of city, symbol of young and urban capital.
Holy Trinity Church (Serbian Cyrillic: Црква Свете тројице, read: Crkva Svete Trojice) is Serb Orthodox church. It was build near the center of Banja Luka like a memory of destroying Chist the Saviour church.
Believing that the church would never be able to be restored, the Orthodox Serbs built a new church in a new location called The Church of the Holy Trinity and here is up today.
The church was built in 1963. to 1969. Next to it is a beautiful building Episcopal Palace where the seat of the diocese.
Church of The Holy Trinity is located between City Hall and Banski Dvor. Now it is in the phase of reconstruction.
On the plate in front of the Church is writen:
The former Church of Holy Trinity, now the Church of Christ Saviour, was being built from 1925 to 1929 and dedicated in 1939. The Church was destroyed by Ustashas (Croat Fashists in Second World War) in 1941. The restauration began in 1993.
Vrbas is very fast river. And it has beautiful green colour. During the summer time, lot of people is trying to refresh their selves in it. In some parts, it is very deep so boys are jumping in it from the city bridges.
I decided to go to Zagreb and rent a car from there and drive from Zagreb to Sarajevo.
Banja Luka is a Big stop on that way.It is capitol of Serbian Republic of Bosnia Hercegovina
and like a full independece republic.There is nothing to see in this city.Central of the city there is a park and Kralji Petra street.Thats all.Also you can see Vrbas river.
Cultural centre Banski dvori (Serbian Cyrillic: Културни центар Банcки двори, read: Kulturni centar Banski dvori) is one of symbol of Banja Luka.
Bans palace - Banski dvori was build from 1929 till 1932 for the governor ("Ban") of the province call Vrbas banovina in the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians. First governor ("Ban") was Svetislav Tisa Milosavljević. His monument and street with his name is in front of building.
From 1955 is part of cultural centre and from 1998 is public institution. It is a place for everyone interesting in different types of cultural and social events such as exhibitions, public discussions, etc.
The design is combination of classicism with elements of medieval Serbian architecture style.
Almost all of interior of building preserve from 1930s with additional of concert and conference room. It is center of cultural and intellectual life of city.
Bans palace is a function of Administrative Services headquarters city of Banja Luka and its mayor, while Bans court next to the cultural center seat of the President of the Republika Srpska, rector and the Radio-Television of Republika Srpska. Great Hall, Town Hall and Blue Hall Bans court represents Banja Luka most luxurious interiors. Here is place where is organized by various sets of educational, cultural and promotional programs and exhibitions.
Svetislav Milosavljević popular Tisa (Serbian Cyrillic: Светислав Милосављевић Тиса) was first governor ("Ban") of province Vrbaska Banovina within Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenians.
Ban Milosavljević was born on 7th September 1882 in Niš (Serbia). From October 1905 till 1907 his was educated on High Military Academy. It serve army during two Balkans wars at the beginning of 20th century. During that time he serve as assistant to headquarters of the First Army and it was leader alongside with famous Generals Mišić and Hadžić. For its military accomplishments he awarded with numerous national, French, English, Romanian and Polish medals. He left military service and begins to deal with politics 1927th. On 8th November 1929 he become Governor of Vrbaske Banovine.
He is initiator of building Banski dvori and, before that, Palace of Ministry of Transport and General Directorate of Railways in Belgrade. He die 1960.
The first ban Vrbas Banovina Svetislav Tisa Milosavljevic (1929-1934) during his mandate built a large number of objects that should be noted Bans administration and Bans Palace, National theater, Hotel Palace, Sokolski dom, City Park, the Ethnographic Museum, schools, hospitals and other.
Monument to writer and national tribune Petar Kočić (1877-1916) is located in the city's central park whose cares his name.
Authors of this monuments were Antun Augustinčić and Vanja Radauš. The monument was completed 1929th, and there is also a sixth ceremony unveiled November 1932nd year.
Who was Petar Kocic?
Born in village Stričići (Serbian Cyrillic: Стричићи) on Manjača mounting near Banja Luka as son of Orthodox priest. Working as writer, teacher and national and social revolutionist.
In the years ahead the annexation of Bosnia and Herzegovina by Austria-Hungary, he create a newspaper call "Fatherland" (Serbian Cyrillic: Отаџбина, read Otadzbina) in Banja Luka and makes his own political group which preached anti-Austrian and particularly relentless struggle against the remnants of feudal slavery.
Because of his straggle, Kočić was very popular among the people and for the educated youth, and was elected as a deputy in Bosnian parliament in Sarajevo, provincial Austro-Hungarian part of parliament. Seeing as opponent in the state, state agencies was often arrested him and prosecuted. For posts are seen as one of the most daring instigator Serbian people's pride and social justice preachers.
Kocic during his life wrote three collections of short stories, some of which are "On the mountains and under the mountain" and "Cries from Zmijanje" and two political and social satire: Badger before court (theater piece) and A trial (dialogue).
His famous work "Badger before the court" is not just a political satire of local importance, but there are deeper social consequence. David Strbac (main character) is not only Serb from Bosnian Krajina region and peasant, but in general, forever and ever tricked exploited peasant who is aware of his desperate situation and seek justice.
In memory to Petar Kocic government of Republika Srpska was:
- picture of Petar Kočić put as main motif on one dinar banknotes issued 1993rd.
- decide to declare two awards named "Kocic pen" (Serbian Cyrillic: Кочићево перо, read: Kočićevo pero). and "Kočiće books" (Serbian Cyrillic: Кочићева књига, read: Kočićeva knjiga) assigned by "Petar Kocic Foundation, Banja Luka - Belgrade" (Serbian Cyrillic: Задужбина Петра Кочића, Бања Лука - Београд, read Zadužbina Petra Kočića, Banja Luka - Beograd) and
- In the Republika Srpska each year in August held a cultural event call "Kočić gathering" (Serbian Cyrillic: Кочићев збор, read Kočićev zbor)
- park in the center of Banja Luka named after him, also many elementary schools, and build two monuments: Banja Luka and Belgrade.
Banja Luka is political, administrative, universitiy and cultural centre of Republika Srpska. It is lots of places of special intrest which visitors can see and many thing that here can...