Herzegovina is part of country interesting architecture. Many village have a stone houses. Many are empty or with few inhabitants, almost all seniors.
Here you can expect a hospitality and generosity and in Mrkonjići village you can buy from locals and jars with wild berries and strawberries, home made honey and rakija, herbs and mushrooms depending of seasons.
Besides of wine trail I am not familiar with develop agricultural tourism.
Popovo Polje is one of the most prolific base in southeastern Europe. Interesting is that here crops succeed two times in the year. The name popovo polje literary means priest filed.
This field is lower part of area with altitude from 250 till 220 m. The field is filled with sinks, a valley and a river flowing Trebisnjica. It is completely surrounded by mountains - Vjetrenik, Gradina Čavaška fort, Mala gradina, and Vranjak and Bjelasnica from the north and northeast, and the Great Fox, and Rujnica Curvy hill from the south and southwest. On the rim of field is the cave Vjetrenica.
Here is a very famous wine area.
Also, the history of this area is very dark and painful and it is witness the struggle for supremacy in this naturally rich valley.
Monastery of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul is located 7 km southeast of Trebinje, on the edge of Popovo polje.
The believe is that Monastery is built in 1906th on the remains of an older temple which allegedly dates back to Justinian’s age (6th century). Archeological finds have testified to very old buildings that there were at the place of current monastery, probably from the age of early Christianity. Near the monastery, there are ruins which are believed to be the remains of the St Peter and Paul’s temples, from the beginning of the 11th century even as far back as the 6th century.
Close to the monastery, there is a Paul’s cave, in which, according to the legend, St Apostle Paul used to go. There are a stone altar and the St Apostle Paul’s icon in the cave, and on the Day of this Saint, the evening service is held in this cave.
The monastery accommodation is functional, and the special attraction is the dining hall for thirty people.
In this Monastery live about 10 nuns.
Mrkonjici village is usually part of pilgrimage at the road to The Ostrog Monastery (Monte Negro).
It settled in Popovo polje on the road Ljubinje-Trebinje. It is a birth place of St. Basil of Ostrog and Tvrdos (Vasilije Ostroski i Tvrdoski). He born here on the 28th of December, 1610.
His real name was Stojan Jovanovic, from Anastasia (Anastasija) and Peter (Petar).
Besides a fascinates panoramas we can enjoy in one fascinating trip trough time.
In village is a small church dedicated to St. Basil of Ostrog (Vasilije Ostroski) which is build over native house of his Patron. It was build on 12th of May 1998, on Day of St. Basil of Trvdoski and miracle-worker Ostroski. The basement is protected. It is belong to Serb Orthodox Church.
Usually the believers also visit and villages cemetery there is graveyard where St Ana, St Vasilije’s mother, has rested.
The Monastery Duzi (Serbian Orthodox Church) is dedicated to The Protection of the Mother of God and commemorated on October 14. The church of the Monastery Duzi is large, one nave building, with semicircular altar. It has been reconstructed, and mural painting is ongoing.
It is situated in the Forest Trebinje away from about 4km on the left shore of the Trebisnjica River, 7km downstream of Trebinje on the way to Dubrovnik.
In the 16th and 17th century it was the property of the monastery Tvrdos. When Tvrdos was destroyed metropolitan bishop and monks moved to Duzi in 1695. They restored and enlarged the church and property, which still has been well known by the same name. Until the end of existing of Pecka Patrijarsija in 1776, this monastery was the centre of metropolitan bishop of Herzegovina.
It was robbed and devastated several times.
One of the sights of Monastery Duzi which is worth mentioning is the miraculous healing of Savo Kushtra.
But Monastery did not focus exclusively spiritual, but a national liberation and the epicenter of the Serbian Herzegovina. In the winter before St.. Nicholas 1857 in the Monastery began an uprising of the Serbs under the leadership of Luke Vukalovic.
Near Monastery is old school (first school in area) built in 1857 by Nicifor Ducic, a monk, a soldier, Archimandrite, academic, philanthropist to Serbian education and Serafin Perovic.
Today Monastery Duzi possesses valuable hand-written church books, even Russian editions from Moskva and Kijev. There is also a fragment of honorable cross in it.
On the monastery land, the nuns produce wine, rakija (local brandy, transl. note) and the top quality honey. Leader of nuns is Mother Theodora (Mati Igumanija Teodora)
The Tvrdos Monastery (the 4th-6th century), is about 4.5 km faraway from Trebinje, on the road to Mostar. It is build on the right bank of Trebišnjica river. This Monastery is one of the most important monasteries of the Serb Orthodox church, residence of Eparch and Metropolitan of Herzegovina.
In the older sources, it was mentioned as the monastery of the Holy Theotokos, and it was dedicated to the Dormition of the Most Holy Theotokos.
According to one oral-folk legend, the Monastery was founded by the St. Emperor Konstantin and his mother Jelena, but according to the other one, less probably, king Milutin Nemanjic, and according to the third legend, stated by Vuk Vrcevic as well, the monastery was built by Herceg Stjepan Vukcic (Kosaca).
It is been built on the foundations of an old church, it was frequently destroyed and reconstructed. In 1694 it was devastated in the fights between Venetians and Turks. On that occasion the whole monastery’s treasury was taken to monastery Savina near Herceg Novi, where it has been still kept.
At the beginning of the 16th century the monastery was painted by Dubrovnik’s icon-painter Vicko Lovrov and Trebinje’s monk Marko Stefanov.
Here was live and work St. Basil of Ostrog (Vasilije Ostroski).
Today Monastery is well kown and place of pilgrimage on the way to Ostrog Monastery (Monte Negro).
The monastery brotherhood produces famous red wine (Tvrdos) and the top quality honey, icons and souvenirs.
The Monastery of Zavala (the 13th century) with the church dedicated to the Entry into the Temple of the Holy Virgin. This Monastery is about 40 km southwest from Trebinje in the eastern part of Popovo Polje, now territory of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina. This Manastir belong to Serbian Orthodox Church.
There are no reliable data about the time of its establishment. According to the folk legend, the construction of the church is associated to the first Christian Emperor Konstantin who, upon his arrival into Zavala and seeing the believing people, decided to build the church there. The icon of the Holy Theotokos, the Emperor left in the small hill of Petkovica with the intention for having his endowment erected there. However, the following morning, the icon was found at the cave entrance, which the current Zavala monastery’s church leans upon. When the same event occurred repeatedly the following mornings, the Emperor decided to build the church in the very place of the icon appearance.
When the time of its foundation is discussed, the year 1271 is often mentioned, which is inscribed in an old monastery’s stamp. Here, at the beginning of the 17th century, well- known painter Georgije Mitrofanovic stayed. It is assumed that he did the iconostasis as well. Before his going to Zavala he brightly painted monastery Hilandar on Holy Mountain.
During the World War II, the monastery was badly damaged, and the whole series of the valuable items were destroyed or pillaged. In the last war, the monastery was damaged and abandoned, and the village of Zavala completely destroyed. After the war, the monastery was rebuilt, and the brotherhood returned.
Saint Basil of Ostrog (Vasilije Ostroski) began his monk days in this monastery.
Here lives a few monks with Iguman.
In some parts, the old road remains along the new one, built in the 50s. In the same way as other old roads in former Yugoslavia, it was built in stone, almost like a wide wall. Thus it is always narrow and it is very difficult to pass another car: there is no space to go out of the road itself, no shoulder at all. Fortunately, these old roads are now almost not in use anymore!
This beautiful monastery is located close to Trebinje. Its construction was completed in 1510. The frescos in the monastery where done by Vicko Lovrov, a painter from Dubrovnik. In 1694 the monastery was destroyed in a war. The monastery was built from the start in the 20th century.
The bottle (0.33l) of the "HEINEKEN", in coffee bars, coasts, 3.5 to 4 Convertible Mark (1.95 KM = 1 Euro). "Ispod platana" - 3,5 KM.