Sarajevo Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Sarajevo

• Karuzo: The Perfect Vegetarian Restaurant

Karuzo Restaurant, Sarajevo

There is a reason why Karuzo is the top-rated restaurant in Sarajevo on Tripadvisor. It's because it's the best restaurant in the city. And probably in the country. And it's also probably one of the best vegetarian restaurants in the world.

I could wax poetic about my meal all day. The restaurant is intimate and you're likely to be served by the friendly, knowledgeable chef. Said chef, Sasha, may be Bosnia's only raw vegan fisherman, and he enjoys chatting with guests about healthy eating and getting back to nature.

The menu features vegetarian and vegan options, as well as a few fish dishes (Karuzo was the first restaurant in the nation to serve sushi, as it was formerly a neighbour of the Japanese embassy!). I basically said, "I don't eat fish. I'll have anything else you recommend." So, I was then served a delicious three-course meal starting with green mint soup (SO FLAVOURFUL!), swiss chard pockets topped with smoked tofu (better than bacon!) and a very un-sweet vanilla ice cream topped with sea salt, black pepper, olive oil and raspberry puree (okay, my brain just exploded). I couldn't resist a glass of homemade cherry brandy with my dessert, too.

And despite completely stuffing my face with three courses of food, I left Karuzo feeling great. The food is prepared with care and an eye to health, so while it's full of flavor it's not greasy or heavy or overly-salted. It's just perfectly-balanced, tasty, healthy, vegetarian food. You would have to be crazy to visit Sarajevo and not schedule at least one meal at Karuzo.

* Closed Mondays at the time of my visit.

• Luxury Travel

• Cafe Tito: Coffee With a Side of Machine Gun

by Jetgirly Written Nov 3, 2012

I hit up Cafe Tito twice while I was in Sarajevo. Both times it was because I had to pee and I thought that to use the bathroom I should also order a coffee. This little cafe is located right behind the History Museum, in a park-like area called Wilson's Lane... only meters from a playground. Share the covered terrace with moms and dads drinking, smoking and ignoring their children (as they climb atop tanks and hit one another with sticks). The cafe has a cheeky war theme, with weapons on the walls. the aforementioned tanks in the garden and photos of the Yugoslav "benevolent dictator" Marshal Tito on the walls. I don't believe they serve food, so visit Cafe Tito for a hot coffee or cold beer after checking out the museum.

• Museum Visits

• Sarajevska Pivara (Brewery): That Awkward Moment When...

by Jetgirly Written Nov 3, 2012

... you go to a brewery in a half-Muslim country on the first day of Ramadan.

My guidebook said that if Willy Wonka ever opened a brewery, it would look like Sarajevska Pivara. So, being as culturally insensitive as I am, I decided to round up my fellow hostel guests and go to the brewery, perhaps to be served by some real, live Oompa Loompas, on the first day of Ramadan! This, of course, led to some rather uncomfortable exchanges, such as when one of my dining companions asked, "What is the difference between Beer A and Beer B?", and the server glared at him while replying, "I don't know, sir. I'm Muslim so I don't drink alcohol."

Writing that out it does seem a little weird that someone working in a brewery not only would not drink alcohol, but also wouldn't bother to learn about the products brewed on site in case someone asked, but alas, we didn't want to push our luck (and we were still looking for those Oompa Loompas...). The restaurant was definitely priced for tourists and nearly everyone else there was speaking English or another foreign language. We actually weren't that impressed by the menu either, but I managed to find a vegetarian risotto dish and my dining companions found things to try as well. Our server didn't seem very happy that we weren't ordering huge multi-course meals. We weren't happy that he wasn't an Oompa Loompa, so I guess we were even.

I've never seen a risotto stand so erectly before, but consistency aside it was well-seasoned. The fresh-from-the-brewery beer was good too, of course. If I were in town I might return again (especially during the hours when visitors can also tour the brewery), but Sarajevska Pivara is not a top culinary stop in the city.

• Beer Tasting
    • Business Travel

• Petica: Would You Like Salad With Your Meat Fingers?

Petica Menu, Sarajevo

If a country has a national dish, can we say a city has a municipal dish? If so, Sarajevo's municipal dish has to be cevapi (sometimes written as cevapcici), which, to my enjoyment, gets translated to "meat fingers" on English-language menus.

For vegetarians such as myself, fingers of any variety are not on the menu. So when my tour guide took us to Petica, which he says has "the best cevapi in Sarajevo", he had the courtesy to forewarn me that salad would be my only option. No problem, I love my carbohydrates! As the rest of the table chowed down on their meaty fingers I ate my salad (in the "shopska" style), scooping it up with chunks of fresh bread. I swear, bread at these kebab joints is always the best... I just try not to think too hard about why!

As you can see from the photo of the menu a meal here is dirt cheap. It's central but also somewhat off the tourist track- nearly everyone else there was a local. Lots of big tables seat big groups. If you're looking for meat fingers in Sarajevo, or just want a vegetarian salad with some questionably delicious bread, try Petica. Get there by cutting through Coppersmith's Alley at Baščaršija.

• Slasticarna Dallas: I Just Really Like Cake, Okay?

by Jetgirly Written Nov 3, 2012

There is no better way to escape the heat, or the cold, or the normal temperature in Sarajevo than stopping at Slasticarna Dallas for a huge slice of cake. It sort of became my afternoon ritual while I was in the city- stare into the case of cakes, choose the one that had the silliest-sounding name when pronounced with a deadpan American accent and wait for the non-even-slightly-bemused staff to bring it to me as I sat at an outdoor table and watched the crowds go by. Just look at those cakes! The cake! The icing! The whipped cream! And considering that a slice AND a cappuccino will only set you back about two euro, there's no excuse not to indulge.

(Yeah, they do ice cream too!)

• Luxury Travel

• Vegehana: Basic Vegetarian

Menu @ Vegehana, Sarajevo

As much as I wish I could write a positive review of Vegehana, I simply can't. I found one of their flyers in the historic center and thought it would be a good stop for my first meal in Sarajevo. Unfortunately the map provided on the flyer didn't show all of the streets, so what looked like a two-block walk was actually much further. When I finally found the restaurant I had my choice of dirty tables, and I then waited more than ten minutes for (the only?) employee to come out of the kitchen, clear my table and offer me a menu. I opted for the daily special, which was grilled vegetables served with quinoa, and asked to pay the supplement to have a crunchy, spicy topping on my quinoa. To drink, I ordered the ginger drink.

And then I waited. I waited and waited and waited. People came into the restaurant, sat themselves at dirty tables and left ten minutes later when nobody had come speak to them. Twenty or thirty minutes later I received MY DRINK, which I finished long before the vegetarian plate arrived, with just a few measly grilled vegetables alongside some quinoa and sauce. The crunchy quinoa topping was probably the best part of the meal, which I finished quickly (all that waiting made me hungry!). Of course it then took eons for the sole employee to come back with a bill so I could pay.

There are some meals I don't mind waiting for. If the restaurant has a nice atmosphere and the food is good I'm happy to bide some time reading my guidebook or people-watching. But Vegehana was dirty and at times seemed almost abandoned.

For excellent vegan and vegetarian food in Sarajevo, skip Vegehana and go to Karuzo instead.

HS Pivnica aka HS Restaurant: A beer and dinner at the Sarajevo Brewery

by gordonilla Written Nov 12, 2011

Exterior (night time)

After some colleagues and i had an evening stroll through the old city; we visited Sarajevo Brewery's HS restaurant for dinner. It was quite a large beer all with an upstairs. It had a good atmosphere.

As with other eateries - there are many smokers in the restaurant.

I believe that the brewery was first established in 1864. However the brewery complex was reopened in 2004.

Favorite Dish: Peppered Steak and a traditional apple dessert

Cordoba Cafe: Coffee and Cake

by gordonilla Written Nov 8, 2011

Entrance

After a walk we found this cafe in the central area. It was busy and has quite a vibrant atmosphere. The selection of cakes is good and service great.

Like all restaurants in BiH they permit smoking so you may not find it a good place.

Favorite Dish: good coffee and nice selection of cakes.

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Restoran Kibe: Traditional and what a view!

by gordonilla Written Nov 8, 2011

Front Door

The restaurant is high up in the old city; and has some excellent views, sadly we visited when it was dark. So the views were impressive with the lights in the distance. The restaurant is open between 11.00 - 23.00 and is closed on Sunday.

There was live music performed, and i am reliably informed the musicians sing folk songs all about Sarajevo.

Favorite Dish: Use your commonsense and then think about what traditional food could be worth eating. It has an excellent menu to chose from; so try and be adventurous.

Trattoria Due: A lunch on the way to the airport

by gordonilla Written Nov 6, 2011

Interior (1)

We called in here at the recommendation of one of our Bosnian colleagues; he had previously worked nearby at the Porsche offices and they had lunched in DUE quite often.

very pleasant atmosphere and reasonable menu. Staff very professional and freindly.

Favorite Dish: the salads are good and anything else from their good homely menu.

Nacionalni Restoran VIŠEGRAD: Good lunch here

by bonio Written Sep 21, 2011

Restaurant on the edge of the old town, specialises in rajkia the local firewater but being lunchtime we stuck to beer! (remember the hangover from a previous tasting session too!)
    Anyway, it's a comfortable and friendly place, lovely terrace for a warm day.
    Mrs B very happy with her vegetable plate and my Shopska salad (a lunchtime favourite for me) was easily the best one of our week away, lovely.
    Enjoyable lunch.

Hacienda - Cantina Mexicana: Mexican

by bonio Written Sep 21, 2011

I guess Sarajevo is not the most likely place to have a decent Mexican meal but, Mrs B fancied one and there we are!
    Yes food was good and tasty, veggie fajitas for herself enjoyed and tasty nachos for me.
    Just on the edge of the old town, a comfortable terrace is a good people watching spot too, enjoyed our evening here.

Sarajevska Pivara: Brewery restaurant

by bonio Written Sep 19, 2011

Large brewery that supplies much of the beer in BiH, and pretty good it is, with an attached restaurant.
    An evening visit for us and a multilingual menu to choose from. Mrs B very impresssed by the vegetarian plate and a decent chicken curry for me with, of course, a few of the beers to go with it.
    I guess it's slightly more expensive than average in Sarajevo but definately worth a visit, enjoyed our meal here.

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Bosanska Kuca: The best restaurant in town!

by jonathanbarker Updated May 26, 2011

In the middle of Sarajevo's Bascarsija area of small narrow streets, craft and souvenir shops, we found this local restaurant, with seats outside and inside and friendly waiters and waitresses. Steak and freshly caught fish are cooked on a hot barbeque, as well as local (Bosnian) specialities. Salads, desserts as well as hot and cold drinks (this being the only place in the old town to serve alcohol). are also served. In the heart of the old town you can watch people go by, enjoy the sun or shade. Portion sizes are so generous.
    Refreshing Sarajevska beer and delicious soft/smooth wines.

Favorite Dish: We had a cold platter on several occations, this included a selection of local cheeses, salad, olives, and smoked cold meats. So healthy and so delicious.

• Wine Tasting

• FRONA's Profile Photo

Park Princeva: Best panoramic view!!!

by FRONA Updated Apr 4, 2011

map

What can I say when Bill Clinton, Carla del Ponte, Paddy Ashdown and the rest of the political suite decided to eat there. There is a fantastic garden to sit outside, there is a fantastic view of the whole city, the service is great and the food, yum I wish I could sit there now and eat all the delicacies. And I must say I was in Bosnia but had a fantastic lunch without MEAT :)

Favorite Dish: Ustipci sa kajmakom

• Skiing and Boarding

Instant Answers: Sarajevo

Comments

Sarajevo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sarajevo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sarajevo sightseeing.