Sarajevo Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Sarajevo

• Rusket's Profile Photo

Sultan Sofra: Fine restaurant, but cheap :-)

by Rusket Written Apr 13, 2006

Sultan Sofra, Sarajevo

This is a fine restaurant, but even here I was not able to spend over 10 USD. For espresso, corba (a thick soup with bread, pic. 2), kuzu sis of weal with vegetables and bread (pic. 3 and 4) and a coke I paid 15 KM = 7,50 Euro. If I had eaten all the bread with the soup, It would have been enough for lunch!

Turkish tea after the meal was on the house.

Nice ambient, friendly waiters.

• Trains

INAT KUCA: Traditional Bosnian food

by FRONA Updated Aug 23, 2005

Miljacka river

Great ambiance in a very tradional Bosnian style built house right on the stream and right opposite the old Sarajevo library. The interior is unbelievable cute and the food is very nice. I tried some stew like meal that was served in a silver metal bowl. The prices were very ok. You should definitely trey one of the goulash type soups served in a silver bowl. What I liked about it is that it really has an interior that takes you right back a couple of hundred years in the past....

Favorite Dish: All cakes!

• neodue's Profile Photo

FORINO BUREK: BUREK IS EVERYTHING

by neodue Written Mar 22, 2008

BUREKZINICA FORINO

Name is Italian but Burek is %100 Turkish.But Best burek is made by Bosnians.My wife's
    mother's roots from Bosnia and she makes lovely Bosnian Burek.But FORINO is best ever.Very less oil and lovely ingridents.Spinach-Minced meat-Cheese-Potato-Zucchini

Yummy yummy.They can eat Burek every time.Morning-Afternoon-Nite.Turks eat it just
    in the morning for breakfast or at homes for special days.Wedding,Praying meeting etc.

This hsop is very european clean and lovely smiley service.Try the burek with Garlic yogurt dip.
    It is like Turkish Manti.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is Spinach and Cheese .Try this one.But the other one with yogurth dip is nice too.

Cevabdzinica Zeljo2: Best cevapcici in Sarajevo

by FRONA Written Feb 19, 2004

Zeljo 1

Cevabdzinica Zeljo, both 1 and Zeljo 2 are in the same street called Kundurdziluk. This seems to be the favorite place for locals to enjoy a "healthy" meal of cevapcici with onions, sour cream and yogurt. Cevapcici here are beef minced meat in a role served in something like a pitta bread made all on the grill. You can see a photo of the meal in my local customs tip.

Favorite Dish: Great snack!

• Festivals

Fontana Palma: everybody likes sweet

by vesna04 Updated Oct 8, 2005

Nice place where you can find cakes, ice creams, fruit salads..The coffie was also good.(beleve me I am addicted to it). I noticed that locals love to come here to socialize wit others, so it never was empty.

Favorite Dish: Cake!!! I am sorry I forgot the name...Full of chocholate, nuts and god knows with what else, but it realy was a treat.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Ragusa

by Krumlovgirl Written Mar 5, 2004

I was afraid that this was going to be a tourist trap since it is just a few steps away from the Eternal Flame. It ended up being pretty good though and I had excellent service. The name refers to the old name for Dubrovnik and it seemed to have a good selection of Italian food.

Favorite Dish: I had the lasagna with white sauce and it was great. The best part about the meal, however, was the wonderful crepes I had for dessert. I still can’t put my finger on what was good about them, but it had to be a combination of the thick cream and the consistency of the crepes themselves. They were thicker than usual, more like pancakes really, and covered with bananas and chocolate sauce. I consider myself a crepe aficionado and these were definitely the best that I have ever had. I would go back just for them.

• Zeljo, Hodzic or Ferhatovic?: Cevapcici Heaven

by sabsi Updated Jun 21, 2007

Cevapcici

When you are in Sarajevo of course you have to try the original Cevapcici (Meatballs)! (Yes, everything you've heard is wrong, they are traditionally Bosnian!). They are served in a pita bread along with chopped onions and (Serbian) Ajvar. A very filling meet for little money, normally a portion costs around 5-7 KM.

There are different recommendations around about in which Cevabdžinica to get the best Cevapcici in Sarajevo. When surfing the web you read a lot about Zeljo, people told us a lot about Ferhatovic and still we went to Hodzic (because of its perfect location for people watching on the main square of Bašcaršija). Decide for yourself!

The waiter at Hodzic who spoke very good German was very friendly and entertaining and we enjoyed sitting here for a while, drinking many Cokes and watching locals and tourists pass.

Favorite Dish: Unfortunately I had a weak stomach the day we visited so I only had a drink. Thomas tried the Cevapi of course. They were good but apparently not as good as the ones we had in Mostar. According to Thomas they tasted the same as Bašcaršija smells ;)

In BiH the Cevapcici are obviously made without any pork because there are so many Muslims living here. The meat they use is beef and lamb.

• karenincalifornia's Profile Photo

Fantastic cafes in Bascarsija - Before the war

by karenincalifornia Updated Jan 20, 2004

Outdoor cafe in Bascarsija, Sarajevo, 1986

I don't remember the names of the restaurants and cafes we ate at in Bascarsija, Sarajevo in 1986, but it doesn't matter -- they were all good, and they might not even be there now. The restaurants had a heavy Turkish and Middle Eastern influence - to my American taste buds, the food was very exotic and deliciously spicey.

The Sarajevo restaurants we went to had a unique way of seating its patrons. We weren't taken to a vacant table if there were two vacant seats at someone else's table. That was fine with us, the more, the merrier. One night we joined someone's birthday party and they let us celebrate with them as if we were long lost relatives. The next night we ate dinner with an American movie director who was filming a B movie in Sarajevo and said Yugoslavia was going to be the next Hollywood of Europe for on location filming. We had never heard of any of his movies, but we tried very hard to be polite when none of his movie titles rang any bells with us.

All over the City: Bosnian pastery

by vesna04 Written Oct 8, 2005

You also must try bosnian BUREK. It is a pie made with homemade philo pastery and filled with a various stuffings. Usually you can choose meat, chesse and potato bureks, It is a great choice for breakfast if you don't have one in the Hotel.

Favorite Dish: Potato burek.

• FRONA's Profile Photo

Park Princeva: Best panoramic view!!!

by FRONA Updated Apr 4, 2011

map

What can I say when Bill Clinton, Carla del Ponte, Paddy Ashdown and the rest of the political suite decided to eat there. There is a fantastic garden to sit outside, there is a fantastic view of the whole city, the service is great and the food, yum I wish I could sit there now and eat all the delicacies. And I must say I was in Bosnia but had a fantastic lunch without MEAT :)

Favorite Dish: Ustipci sa kajmakom

• Skiing and Boarding

Bascarsija restaurants: For grill lovers

by vesna04 Updated Oct 8, 2005

To be in Sarajevo and to miss CEVAPI, is like you haven't been there. The most famous grill dish. Cevapi are minced mixed meat little roals prepared on grill . It realy is the MUST.

Favorite Dish: Cevapi, of course !!

• vesna04's Profile Photo

various: Lamb prepared on open fire

by vesna04 Written Oct 8, 2005

If you are reaching Sarajevo by passing Jablanica town Don't miss to stop to the one of numerous restorants alongside. All of them are offering local speciallities and of course the most famous of them ROASTED LAMB traditionaly prepared.

Favorite Dish: I wasn't hungry but my husband claims that it was the best lamb he ever tryed.

Pod Lipom: Cosy restaurant in the city centre

by FRONA Written Aug 23, 2005

Bascarsija

its right in the center next to the main shopping street Ferhadija. There is a cute terrace with the view of surrounding mosques and its a very pleasant atmosphere. Bill Clinton also ate there when he was in Sarajevo visit!!!
    And the prices are great. I paid for a full diner for 2 and with drinks just 35 KM!!

Favorite Dish: everything was good!

• Work Abroad

• jonathanbarker's Profile Photo

Bosanska Kuca: The best restaurant in town!

by jonathanbarker Updated May 26, 2011

In the middle of Sarajevo's Bascarsija area of small narrow streets, craft and souvenir shops, we found this local restaurant, with seats outside and inside and friendly waiters and waitresses. Steak and freshly caught fish are cooked on a hot barbeque, as well as local (Bosnian) specialities. Salads, desserts as well as hot and cold drinks (this being the only place in the old town to serve alcohol). are also served. In the heart of the old town you can watch people go by, enjoy the sun or shade. Portion sizes are so generous.
    Refreshing Sarajevska beer and delicious soft/smooth wines.

Favorite Dish: We had a cold platter on several occations, this included a selection of local cheeses, salad, olives, and smoked cold meats. So healthy and so delicious.

• Wine Tasting

• mtncorg's Profile Photo

Basenji Restoran: Swimming pool fare?

by mtncorg Written Aug 27, 2003

View over the Miljacka from the tables of Basenji

This is a nice outdoor restaurant with a very good grill located on the north bank of the Miljacka river just a short distance - 200 m - upstream from the National Library. The river is just emerging from the mountains into the valley in which the city lies.

The restaurant has many tables overlooking the river and is quite popular with tourists and locals. It is named after the popular community swimming pool which is adjacent on the east side. The riverside tables are perfect for a nice summer chat and meal. Local fare is very good, but there are some Italian dishes as well. Good salads, too. Watch your bill as I have heard they like to overcharge. It took a visit to the back to get my change back, as well. Probably has to do with the fact that you look like a tourist.

Instant Answers: Sarajevo

Comments

Sarajevo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Sarajevo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sarajevo sightseeing.