Old Orthadox Church, Sarajevo
The history of the Old Orthodox Church, which is correctly name Church of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel, dates back to at least the middle of the 16th century.
Its exact history isn't known, only that it burnt down several times. The current structure was built at around 1740 and the church tower was added in the 19th century.
During the 1990's siege the Old Orthodox Church was badly damaged.
The Old Orthodox Church stands at the street Mula Mustafe Beseskije near the north eastern end of the historic old town (Bascarsija).
Address: Old Orthodox Church, Mula Mustafe Beseskije 59, Sarajevo
Built in 1539, the church is just west of the Bascarsija on the north side of the Mula Mustafe Baseskije. It lies behind a stone wall and looks fairly unimpressive from the outside. From the inside, the altar doors are anything but unimpressive. The church is dedicated to St Michael whose fresco is painted on the outside wall.
Near Bascarsija in Mula Mustafe Baseskije is the Old Orthodox Church. The ancient serbian orthodox church of Saint Michael the Archangel dates from medieval times and is seat in the otoman Sarajevo. The building is plain and gey when you see it from outside but the interior is beautiful.
it is a beautiful, intimate old Orthodox church of At. Archangel Mihail. Its origin date back to the medieval times. In the Turkish documents it said that this one predates their conquering of those lands. As manz other mounments it suffered 3 fire devastations: 1615, 1644, 1656 and 1726.
Her present appearance dates back to 1730.
Has georgious and so loveable architecture, and an iconostas of great beauty and value.
Inside the Church u can take photos. There is a museum as well, highlz recommended for some rare and worth seeing stuff - no photos in there.
This old serbian orthadox church is just of Barcarsija in Baseskije, the street which the trams leave Sebilj Fountain. The interior is full of pictures and icons. Outside is a information board in three languages.The 1991 census says there were 157526 Serbs in Sarajevo,following the Bosnian war few Serbs remain, most moved out to the suburbs and elsewhere. The churches full name is The Church of the Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel.
The old Serbian Orthodox Church in Sarajevo, St. Michael the Archangel, dates back to medieval times. Its foundation was set around the 5th and 6th centuries. The roof of this church was damaged by shells during the war.
Old orthodox serbian church (Church of the holy archangels Michael and Gabriel) is one of the oldest cultural sight in Sarajevo. It was built in 1539 and the bell tower was finished in 1883. Today, there occures a museum.
It is not known exactely when it was built. The first writen documents date from 1539. It is a home of the colections of the very old icons. The Museum that was founded in 1889. is also situated in it.
It is believed that the Old orthodox Church of saint Archangel Mikhail and Gabrielthis was initally built in the 5th or 6th century. During its history, it suffered damages for many times. Its present appearance dates back from 1730, after repairs to the damage by fire in 1724.
This church is greater in width than in length, lack a projecting apse, and has a nave surrounded on three sides by a colonnade make it a unique example of well-preserved church architecture in this part of the world.
The most valuable feature of the interior of this monument, a museum based on its treasury, is its carved iconostasis with icons by Master Radula, dating from 1674, Maksim Tujkovic, dating from 1734, Aleksija Lazovic and an anonymous artist dating from the early 19th century.