Borovec Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by sandysmith

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Borovec

• hekate's Profile Photo

Streets covered with thick ice

by hekate Written Feb 13, 2006

The street along Rila Hotel

This is one of the things that I find truly annoying about Borovets. Seems that the streets, especially this one running along the Rila hotel are covered with thick ice most of the time during the winter season. It is not a one time event, seems like the local authorities are very persistent in keeping the streets icy.

Walking on that street can be a true challenge because it is extremely slippery and having a slope doesn?t make things easier at all.

So, first of all, make sure you are wearing proper shoes and second, walk slowly. Thus, hopefully, you will reduce the chances of falling and breaking your bones. :)

• Spa and Resort

• hekate's Profile Photo

Sometimes it is quite foggy

by hekate Updated May 30, 2005

Foggy

This picture was taken about noon but you can see that the fog is so thick that it even seems like it is getting dark :)

Sometimes the fogs in Borovets come like from nowhere. For example, half an hour earlier the sun was shining and there was not a single cloud in the skies. The good thing it does not happen that often and it goes away relatively quickly.

In general it is not such a problem. It even has a certain charm to have a walk while it is foggy but I guess it could be a pain in the neck if you are skiing.

• Spa and Resort

• Nixter01's Profile Photo

Child Beggars

by Nixter01 Written Mar 14, 2005

As much as you may feel sorry for these children they come across and how they look so poor and homeless, don't be fooled !
    They are sent out during the day but you will mostly see them at night and they are always on the strip down the side of the Rila Hotel and they tend to stand near where the ice has been salted so that you avoid the ice and have to walk round past them, they will come to you shaking a plastic cup with their faces blackened, but they actually belong to the Bulgarian Mafia, so DO NOT be tempted or feel sorry for them, they are NOT homeless nor are they real, they are fake and and nuisance, I ended up slipping on ice and bruising my left wrist, knee and stomach quite badly trying to avoid them, which amazed me as when I went down on the floor, I turned round and realized there was 3 around me, maybe they thought my money was going to roll out my pockets, unfortunately for them, my money was elsewhere and the only thing I was concerned about was my digital camera which was round my waist.
    Please Be Careful around here.

• chrishc's Profile Photo

Drunk on 80p

by chrishc Written Mar 1, 2004

One night we decided on a quiet evening and an early night so we went to the White Magic bar for a couple of pints and got talking to Christov.

We thought it would be a good idea to sample the local vodka so ordered a couple, these were served in nearly half pint tumblers. The vodka was good, Christov asked if we liked the local vodka which had cost 40p each and we said it was. Next thing there are a couple of tumblers of the local brandy to try.

This was also good (and free of charge). We did not feel bad or drunk and went back to the hotel where we awoke with monstrous hangovers. Our ski instructor asked if we had had a good evening in the White Magic, we assured him we had, he replied that he thought we must have as he bade us good night in the street outside and we hadn't even recognised him.

Powerful stuff . . .

• Skiing and Boarding

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

Watch out for strange...

by sandysmith Written Aug 31, 2002

Watch out for strange creatures on the mountain tops -we came across the Pink Panther. Just smile and have your picture taken. If you like it you can buy it by the time you get down on the gondola - if you don't like the pic then just leave it and nobody minds. We were quite happy as our camera was broken and we were
    relying on those cheap throw-away cameras (incidently these cheap cameras can take a decent pic if you don't have back up camera with you -I was pleasantly surprised).

Instant Answers: Borovec

Comments

Borovec Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Borovec warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Borovec sightseeing.