Rila Things to Do

Mr. Sheep loves flowers too:)
  • Things to Do
    purple

Best Rated Things to Do in Rila

The Sixth (Fish) lake - Shestoto (Ribno) Ezero

by hekate Updated Oct 19, 2004

This is where you will find the Seven Rila Lakes Chalet and where Danovists gather in August.

When you sit infront of the chalet you will have a wonderful view in front of you - you will see the Haramiata Peak raising above the Sixth lake.

Altitude:

2.5 m

The Sixth lake

The spring close to the Sixth Lake

by hekate Updated Sep 23, 2004

The spring is so cold that you can not hold your finger under the running water for more than 30 seconds.

On the rock beside it the Danovists wrote:

"Brothres and sisters, mothers and fathers,
    friends and strangers,
    teachers and students,
    servants and masters,
    you servnts of life,
    open your hearts for the Good
    and be like this spring."

This is what you see on the picture :)

The spring close to the Sixth Lake

The Seventh Lake - Sedmo ezero - Dolno

by hekate Updated Oct 19, 2004

This is the lowest of the seven Rila lakes. It is also called Lower lake (Dolno ezero). It is not as cold as some of the other lakes and is full of fish.

Altitude:

11 m

The Seventh Lake

Borovets

by hekate Updated Oct 27, 2004

This is one of the most popular Bulgarian ski resorts. It is well known not only in Bulgaria but abroad. Actually, when I went there this year in Februray I hear more people speaking in English than in Bulgarian.

The name of the resort derives from Bor, which means pine tree because it is surrounded with pine woods :)

What I do not like is that the hotels are not very good. On the other hand there are a lot of pubs and good food.

Pine trees (Borove)
    • Spa and Resort

Siven - SALVELINUS FONTINALIS

by hekate Written Sep 21, 2004

If you look at the picture you will see that one fish is darker than the others. That is siven - a type of trout (a baby one) - it lives in waters colder than 15 degrees C and can reach up to 1 kg.

I heard it is very delicious but I did not have a chance to try it. I took the picture on the Seventh Rila lake where you can see a sign that fishing is forbiden. But if you put your hand in the water and you wait for a while the fish will try to eat you :)

Siven

Climbing Mussala peak

by ChristinaNest Updated Feb 1, 2006

Mussala is the highest peak in Bulgaria and on the Balkans. Also it is Bulgaria's coldest place (annual mean of -2,9'C). It is covered with snow for 8 months and it's foggy up there around 250 days a year. . However, this shouldn't disencourage you from going there. Climbing takes about 4 hours from the gondola station and it's not too hard, I've seen 4-5 year old kids on the path (climbing faster than me). There is a hut and a small shop on the way, a shelter just under the peak, and a small shop right on the top, where you can have the highest-brewed tea on the Balkans :))
    Along the way you see the seven Mussala lakes (which are different form the Seven Rila lakes). I went there last August. We had very good weather almost all the way to the top and had the change to enjoy the views and take pictures. Then suddenly it got very foggy and at the top the fog was so thick that you couldn't see anything. Climbing down, we left the fog behind us so we could enjoy the view again.

The first lake you see (the seven Mussala lakes) It all  starts with a nice walk Lake by the hut

Skakavitsa waterfall

by ChristinaNest Written Aug 1, 2008

Skakavitsa waterfall is supposed to be the highest one on the Balkans. It is within a 30-minute walk from Skakavitsa hut. The path goes by the river and through flower fields so it's very nice. If you want to climb a big higher from the base of the waterfall, you need some more time. We climbed quite high, basically as high as one could get without special equipment (it could be dangerous though!) and we got our shoes a bit wet. We had just finished our water so we refilled the bottle with fresh waterfall water. It tasted great! And we saw a frog soaking in a little pool between the boulders.

Cascades

by ChristinaNest Written Aug 1, 2008

The last part of the path to Skakavitsa hut goes by the river which is falling down in beautiful cascades and little waterfalls. The path is so steep that you get out of breath quite fast, so this is a great way to relax while enjoying the view. The cascades come up one after the other as you climb. Just watch your step.

Haramiata Peak

by hekate Updated Sep 10, 2004

Haramiata Peak is 2 465 m high. You will see it when you hike around the Rila lakes.

I have never been up on the peak but a friend of mine who was up there told me that the view is breath-taking. What you see is the Rila lakes spread below you.

Haramiata Peak

Wildlife

by ChristinaNest Written Aug 1, 2008

Rila National Park is a protected area because of its wildlife and flora. We didn't see any of the bigger animals (such as bears or mountain goats), and not even rodents, but I guess they avoid tourists. We only saw some beatiful birds like the one on the photo that I don't know the name of. And of course, the frog in Skakavitsa waterfall:)

• Birdwatching

Wild flowers

by ChristinaNest Written Aug 1, 2008

I didn't have much interest in flowers before until I started collecting stamps and postcards. Then I noticed that some people collect flower postcards and stamps only, and looking for such to send them, I learned a bit more about flowers. I still collect touristic postcards and don't have an interest in flora cards, but still seeing flowers in the wild has become quite attractive to me, and I wish there was somebody to point out each flower and interesting plant and to tell me a few things about it.
    In Rila, there are so many flowers that the fields look like paintings. Most common colours are yellow and purple. I saw for the first time St.Peter's cross and some others. And I picked up some herbs for herbal tea: thyme and St. John's wort. We already had some tea from my dried herbs, it's delicious.

yellow Mr. Sheep loves flowers too:) purple
    • Eco-Tourism

• DPando's Profile Photo

Former Kitchen

by DPando Written Mar 8, 2006

These are the huge pots where the monks cooked i guess several years or decades ago...its so darkish inside and the pic is not quite good but you can appreciate the huge ones and the chimney (second pic)..there is a mill also on the right side ..quite interesting

Getting a ride to Rila

by Sininen Updated Mar 11, 2006

In the morning we walked to the railway station and began to arrange a ride to Rila. It wasn't easy because when people heard that we spoke foreign language they disappeared. Finally the man who sold tickets found two men who agreed to take us to Rila and back (at least we thought so) in their car and finally we were heading to our destination. The storm in the previous night had cut trees and branches and they were on the road but it didn't stop the man behind the wheel to drive like a maniac and were were begin to wonder if we would ever reach our destination. We did. As soon as we got out of the car it took off and drove away. So much of the return ride to the station. It was a chilly but sunny morning and we were hoping to get breakfast. We were dreaming of a cup of hot coffee but learned that the power was off due to the storm. There went our dream. We however found some croissants and our mouths were watering. Didn't last long as we discovered that they were filled with chocolate! Yukky! We bravely ate them though.

The Mountains

by Sininen Written Mar 11, 2006

We began to explore the monastery area and it was so beautiful. Surrounded by stunning mountains, one of which was Rila's highest mount-Moussala (2925m). If we had had more time we would have loved to take some hikes and see more of the breathtaking scenery. Unfortunately we had a bus ticket from Sofia to Sunny Beach for the following day and the day after that we would (hopefully) flying back to Finland. Anyway this was Bulgaria we had wanted to see away from the tourist filled beaches.

Back to the station

by Sininen Written Mar 11, 2006

Our trip to Rila was pre-VT time so I didn't take many photos, though at the time I thought I was taking lots of them. For instance I have not taken any photos of the ceiling frescos which are so beautiful. Now I cannot understand why. Probably because I knew that we had to arrange our ride back and wasn't able to concentrate on enjoying the monastery and what it had to offer. There were many vaults which for some reason I find soothing and always take many photos of them, which my friend finds bit amusing and she loves to tease me about it. Here are some examples of vaults in Rila.

In the afternoon we knew that we had to find a lift back to the station. It was obvious that there was no public transport. We asked some tour buses but the answer was no. There were no taxis in sight and not many private cars either. I was in no panic but a bit worried though I know that things tend to arrange in a way or another. We saw a taxi to arrive and some tourists got out of it. We walked to the car and asked the driver if he took us to the station. The tourists had booked him to take them back and were worried that he would disappear, but he assured them that he'd be back on time. We agreed the price and off we went. If the man up to Rila drove like a maniac it was nothing compared to the way this young man drove. It was really scary but we got to the station in one piece! Later we realised that we had paid the driver 10 times more than he had asked, by mistake and it wasn't a lot. No wonder that he looked so happy when he left!

We had to wait for some time for the train, but it arrived and took us safely to Sofia, where another adventure in trying to find accommodation began. All in all our visit to Rila was worth it and now we have some funny stories to tell though at the time of them happening it was not always funny. I just wish that we would have had more time in Rila...there's another time I hope....

Instant Answers: Rila

Comments

Rila Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Rila things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rila sightseeing.