Rozhen Local Customs

My friend, Tania :)

Most Recent Local Customs in Rozhen

Gourds (Kratuni)

by hekate Updated Feb 12, 2005

Gourds seem to be something like a trade mark for Rojen :))) You will see them everywhere around the village.

So, here is what I mean when I say gourd - a bottle made from the dried shell of a bottle gourd.

Nowadays the locals sell them as souveniers but in the past they were actually used in the everyday life. I asked one of the locals what did they used the gourds for. He told me that the smaller ones were used by men for drinking rakia (Bulgarian brendy) and the bigger ones were used mostly by women for taking boiling water out of the cauldron, so they can use it for doing the housework - washing, cooking, etc.

The site below is a funny one :) You could find the translation of the word Gourd into different languages, the definition of the word as well as the various ways the gourd could be used.

Gourds
    • Eco-Tourism

Coming back to Rojen monastery

by hekate Written Jan 26, 2005

Some people believe that leaving a coin at a certain place, usually throwing it in a fountain
    or well will bring them back to the same place some day :)))

So, if you are one of those superstitious people, the place for your coin would be the fountain you see on the picture.

Once you are there do not forget to take a sip of the water. It is quite refreshing to do so :)

My friend, Tania :)
    • Religious Travel

Signs

by hekate Written Jan 26, 2005

You will find all kind of signs all around the Rojen Monastery. Signs like: Beware of Dog, Don't smoke, Do not take pictures, etc.

More or less you expect to see such signs on such a place. But if you click on the picture below and enlarge it you will see the sign that I saw on one of the doors of the monastery. It says: STAFF ONLY.

It made me smile because according to me it just do not belong there. It kind of made me feel like I am in a fast food place not a monastery :)))

Staff only :)
    • Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Rozhen

Comments

Rozhen Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Rozhen local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rozhen sightseeing.