Arbanasi Palace Hotel
The Arbanassi Palace Hotel was formerly a presidential palace. It's worth a quick stop or a cup of coffee. The building is elegant and beautifully decorated, and it has a great view from the back terrace.
- Castles and Palaces
Michael & Gabriel Church
The Michael & Gabriel Church (300 years old, and now a museum) has a plain exterior with a flat roof, but seems to be a different building from inside. Under Turkish rule, churches couldn’t be taller or more beautiful than a mosque, and they couldn’t have domes. The architect created a dome (important to Orthodox Christians) on the inside by lowering the ceiling around it.
Every square inch of the interior is decorated in frescoes with a black background. There are 2 worship rooms because the sexes are separated. Altars are closed off from the congregation in Orthodox churches.
- Museum Visits
- Arts and Culture
Ethnographic Museum (Konstantzaliev's house)
This 400-year old house has been turned into an interesting museum. It had an upstairs guesthouse with a carved ceiling, a family bedroom (where they all slept together), a nursery, kitchen and dining room. Provisions were stored in the basement, and there was a secret passage going to it. Houses were fortresses then, for good reason.
The shop at the house has some high quality pottery and crafts.
- Museum Visits
- Historical Travel
Apart from the churches and must-see houses the old village and the houses and little plastered streets around the village, as they are surrounded by the hills, provide a pleasant athmospere for strolling around. You feel as you go back in time a bit, here in the surroundings not much of renovation has been done. Bushes, flowers and weats grow out of the walls, oak doors clammed between the walls are old and not closing anymore, small mud paths connect the houses. An old lady with a cat in her arms stands at the gate of her garden looking whats going on the street while a big van tries to get through one of the alley streets. Everthing is so peacefully. And the sunset over the village coming from the hills completes the scenery
Hadji Niko house
This house belonged to the wealthy hadji Niko, the church's donator and renovator from the 17 th. Century. The house is from the 17 th. Century and also known as the is also known the Kosto house, after his son’s name.
Interesting in this house is that motvies and scenes have been borrowed from other places. The ceiling of one of the rooms are decorated with shapes similar to the decoration in a church in Romania. And another decoration is similar to the one from a house in Krakow in Poland. It can be because of the relations Arbanassi traders had as they traveled to Italia, Poland, Romania.
The basement of the house is from stone. It contains a closet and a room of the guard. The staircase is outside. At the second floor you find the drawing room, which is wide, with a wooden ceiling. The entrancedoor to the large room is beautiful woodcarved
Its owner was Dimitar. A Greek writing above the door tells the place was built in 1785. the basement is built of stone as many of the houses and the second floor is wooden. The carving of the ceilings the doors and windows are beautiful. the cupboards, the doors and the windows. You see ornaments above the windows.
St Demetrius' Church
Demetrius Church is also an old church. It has been wallpainted in 1612, and in its chapel 13 th century paitings have been found. Interesting scene that has been painted is the Jesse’s Tree. Iconostases are with gold woodcarving.
Sts Arhangels Michael and Gabriel's Church C
This is the third most important sight of the little village. The curch was build in the 16 th. Century, thanks to the donations of the Kultukli family, who’s family portrait is to be seen in the church. The church is interesting for its mural paitings such as from the artist who also painted the “Descension to Hell” and “Nativity.” Very typical. The artist of these, was interestd in depicting the image of the psyche of man. The church is dark. The wooden icons wrere carved by experts from Tryavna. In the center there is an image of Jesus, Maria, and St. John the Baptist.
This church is also an important landmark of the village. It’s the oldest church in the village. During the 16 th century, the Ottomans allowed several churches to be build in Arbanasi. The church has as all many of the churches a separate men and women department, and at the end of the church there is a John Baptiste chapel. There is some interesting painting to be seen, among which stand out the following: The Judgement Day, Jesse's tree, Mother Mary's Ascension. Interesting is that the latter points out the interest in cosmogenic theme. The gallerie leading to the Chapel and the chapel has woodwork, that is one of the earliests ones in Bulgaria. Thepaintings in the men’ s department depict the Passion and the Wonders of Christ.
The Hadjiyliev's House
Build in the 17th century. At the fist floor you find a summer and winter department, with a hall between them. Bedrooms and lounge on both sides. There is a kitchen with hearth. The rooms along the hall are richly decorated. Ornaments on the ceiling and flower motives on the walls.
Build in the 17 th. Century. The church is painted in the 18 th. Century. During the plundering of the Turks in 1798 the church got destroyed and nearly ceased. It got rebuild later on by donations from the village and in 1833 it became a monatery. Till the ’60 s nuns lived in the monastery and it was a working monastery.
The Konstantzaliev's house
This house is probably the main attraction of Arbanasi. It’s the most decorated and also largest house in the village. Build in the 17 th. Century. It has two floors. The basement is stone, the upper floor contains rooms with old furniture. The nursery is a nice room to see.
The second floor is wooden, there is drawing room, sitting room, dinning room. The latter has a way to the kitchen. This is again connected to the wash room and the water closeths. For the rest there are bedrooms at this floor. Everything is rich decorated by wood carving
Holy virgin monastery
This monastery is a church, some residential buildings and a chapel. Under the Ottomans I was a working and prosperous monastery. With the invasion of the Turkisch gangs it feld into decay. The new church that still excists is from 1680. It’s a basilica. It has a big chapel called Saint Trinity. Here you can see the wonder-making icon of the Holy Virgin. In 1716 the monastery work was revived by a Troyan monk and he also constructed the buildings for residence. In 1762 the church and chapel got renewed, new wall paintings were done.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
- Great room rates