Veliko Turnovo Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Veliko Turnovo

• bogomil's Profile Photo

St George's Pub: St George's Pub

by bogomil Updated Apr 6, 2011

NOTE: this restaurant is closed. Maybe out of business.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

St George's is popular with Brits visiting and living in Bulgaria, as well as Bulgarians looking to see what Brits really eat, contrary to talk of packet food being the only thing Brits eat every day!

There's free WIFI, the VT Club (Ex Pat club) and Sky TV with footie thrown in on match days.

As well as traditional Bulgarian home made dishes (No packet food here) St George's serves up some real English food as well as food that Brits love to eat. The menu includes:

* Cottage Pie
    * Jacket Potatoes
    * Chicken Tikka Masala
    * Argentinian Steak
    * Fish and Chips

Favorite Dish: French fries and yellow cheese, Chicken Tikka Masala

• Motorcycle

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Malkiya Inter (??): Cheap, Cheerful and Characterful!

by johngayton Updated Feb 22, 2010

Plateful Of Yoghurt Salad (with rakiya)

Unfortunately I didn't find this little oddball of a "snack bar" until my last night (on this visit) when it caught my eye on the way back to my hotel that evening. This place certainly ticks all my boxes and had I been staying any longer this would have become my regular haunt.

Although designated as a "snack bar" the menu covers most of the Bulgarian staples and all at very reasonable prices. Drinks too are cheap and the place has a great, slightly louche, buzz, assisted by the, not overpowering, classic rock musical background. Service is young and friendly (with a little English when required) and the clientele seems a mix of students, rockers and local intellectuals. The decor is individual; partly "junk shop", partly "second-hand musical instrument store" and with its cosy little bar, complete with barstools, seems the sort of place where you can just pop in for a beer.

All this AND it offers freebie WiFi.

One thing I am confused with though is the name - Does it mean "Short Interval" or is it named after the Bahranian "Malkiya" Football Club? If anyone out there knows please give me a shout!

Favorite Dish: Having just come back from a day out in Tryavna, via my diversion at Trapezitsa, I was both peckish and in the mood for a few drinks. This was the perfect place for both.

For starter I went for the "Salata Gradska" which turned out to be a plateful of strained yoghurt mixed through with nuts, peppers and sweetcorn and made an ideal foil for my warming Troyanska Slivova Rakiya. For main course I decided to pig out with the "Svinska Vratna Poorjola" (Pork Collar Steak) which was succulently tender and just cried out for the amazingly cheap, and luciously-rich, half-litre of Menada wine to accompany it.

The atmosphere was so laid back that a coffee had to be savoured to prolong my visit which brought my final bill to the princely sum of 18.50 leva.

Yep best value in town and first on my list for my next revisit.

• Music
    • Wine Tasting

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Starata Mehana: Maybe Best Avoided Out-of-Season!

by johngayton Written Feb 22, 2010

Looks As If it Should Be Cosy!

I was totally unimpressed with this little Mehana. Its location, perched on the hillside overlooking the river and the Art Gallery, was what attracted me. Even though just off the main ul Stefan Stambolov it's down a short flight of stairs and so is tucked away that little bit off the beaten path. Normally when I've searched out these sort of places I've been rewarded by a homely local atmosphere and good cheap food. Not so here though - on all counts.

On a snowy January midweek night the restaurant was totally devoid of customers and the solitary surly waitress was the most unwelcoming person I've come across in all of Bulgaria. Instead of getting a greeting in reply to my "Dobar Vecher" I merely got a grunt and a sweeping gesture which I took to indicate I could sit anywhere. I would have sat by the fire, had there been one, or maybe facing the television, had that been switched on. What I should have done was walk straight back out but it was a cold night and the dining room did look as if it could be pleasantly homely given a few more customers.

So I took a table in the corner and exchanged a smile for a disdainfully thrown-on-the-table menu after which she returned to the computer game she had been playing and studiously ignored me for the next ten minutes.

The menu read OK, all standard Mehana stuff but nothing that particularly stood out as being a house speciality with the exception of the "Starata Gyuvech" which came with a couple of types of sausage.

Having decided on that and a mixed cheese salad I managed to catch her attention away from the computer screen to give her my order, but not until she'd finished her game.

The food at least arrived promptly and the salad was good with plenty of cheese and delicously-ripe tomatoes. The Gyuvech though looked and tasted as if it had been made with leftovers from the fridge, topped with a couple of beaten eggs, and then microwaved. It was sort of dried-up and tasteless and definitely the worst I'd eaten.

I had been going to order a beer but the waitress had now disappeared and so I made do with the rakiya I'd ordered with my starter. She did manage to reappear as I was finishing and when I asked for my bill it seems she'd already written it out as that too arrived promptly. So I paid and left.

Not only was this an unfriendly experience with naff food it didn't even have the saving grace of being cheap with a 21 leva bill for my two courses and a rakiya.

Maybe it was just the wrong time of year.

Hotel Studio Restaurant: Trying But Failing

by johngayton Written Feb 22, 2010

Excellent Canapes

Let me start off by saying that the food here is OK, it's edible and the service is great, the wine list is well-selected and the breakfast coffee worth getting up for.

The restaurant itself, in fitting with the hotel in general, is modern, stylish and intimate. The menu, in English and Bulgarian, reads well with a international slant to the standard Bularian format and is reasonably priced (noting that hotel guests get a 10% discount).

Having arrived well after dark, with the pavements treacherously slippy from the day's snow, I decided to eat in-house that evening. I was in a fishy mood and started with the house salad of garlic prawns with white cheese and following it with another of the house specials: the sea bass "Sredizemnomorski".

Things certainly started superbly with a freebie plate of tapenade and garlic canapes to go with my fruit-laded Troyska Slivova Rakiya.

Unfortunately it was all downhill from there. The prawns in my starter were plump and juicy but smelled of prawns, not exactly off but not too fresh either, nor was the bed of lettuce they were served on. The sea bass was a substantial, meaty, whole fish which was perfectly cooked and fresh-tasting. The gunk it came with though was totally incongruous. I can't remember exactly how it was desribed on the menu but it was something to do with sun-dried tomatoes and rosemary. Which sounded like an innovative accompaniement if executed as a light dressing but this was more like a chewy jam and did the fish no favours whatsoever. The saute potatoes had been tossed through some oil, or maybe clarified butter, but without actually being crisped, resulting in a sludgy texture.

The following morning for breakfast I opted for the "Bulgarian" which consisted of a very tasty dish of yoghurt with honey, a bread roll with preserves and a slice of good-looking homemade banitsa, along with orange juice and coffee. Unfortunately the banitsa had been reheated in the microwave rendering it soggy and greasy.

It really was a shame about the food as the rest of my experience with the hotel was spot-on and had I been staying for a while I would have seriously considered giving them a couple of days consultancy (for a small fee of course).

Favorite Dish: Although the food was disappointing the wine was one of the best I've tried in Bulgaria (which makes it one of the best I've tried anywhere). The Enira 2006, from the Bessa Valley on the foothills of the Rhodope Mountains just west of Plovdiv, was lushly full-bodied with concentrated ripe berry flavours. This was served at the perfect temperature and the waitress had opened it as soon as I ordered it to let it breath.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for this one on future visits.

• Wine Tasting
    • Castles and Palaces

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Kokteli Bar "Royal": Al Freso Lunch in November!

by johngayton Written Nov 23, 2009

Mexican Salad

Although described as a "cocktail bar" Royal is in fact simply a cafe/restaurant with a pleasant shaded terrace overlooking the main road through the city. On an unseasonably sunny November lunchtime the terrace soon began to fill. Fortunately I'd arrived about the same time as the sun and although I had to go inside in search of a server, once I'd caught her attention service was swift and friendly. I can imagine, judging by how busy it became whilst I was there, that during the summer this is a popular place.

The menu, of which there is an English version, is ideally suited to the location with a good range of salads, sandwiches and other snacky stuff. Prices are reasonable (though not the cheapest in town) and my simple salad and beer lunch was exactly what I was after.

Favorite Dish: I opted for the Salata Meksiko which turned out to be mostly tomato, roasted red peppers and sweetcorn topped generously with white and yellow cheese. A splash of the oil and vinegar perked it up no end and for a healthy, light yet substantial lunch, accompanied by the obligatory Zagorka, the less than 8 Leva bill perefectly comensurate. The tastiest bit though had to be my shy little waitress who responded to my pidgin Bulgarian in excellent colloquial English.

• Beer Tasting

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Hadji Mincho: Well Worth Searching Out!

by johngayton Updated Nov 19, 2009

A Veritable Feast

This could qualify as an "Off The Beaten Path" tip despite this little mehana being pretty much in the centre of the city. The little back street that it's on doesn't seem to appear on any maps that I've found and even when searching it out in daylight I still couldn't find any street signage. There is however a brightly-lit sign for the restaurant, with an arrow pointing in its direction, visible from the main street which is how I found it.

A "find" it certainly was! This a proper little family-run mehana with a cheery and welcoming proprietor and a very attractive leggy waitress. All the mehana archetypes are represented: loads of natural wood, the red stripey woven tablecloths, the usual knick-knacks of ornamentation and as a bonus a set of murals on the walls tell the story of Hadji Mincho.

The menu, of which there is an English version, has all the mehana staples with a good selection of salads, grills and traditional pot dishes.

Favorite Dish: Having walked most of the way into the city from the bus station I'd worked up a healthy appetite and so hearty fare was the order of the day. This was certainly the place to get it. Starting with a Zagorka (I'd worked up a thirst as well!) I followed it with, in order of appearance, Ruska Salata, Sirene po Shopski and Kournache Boylarka. Plus bread and more Zagorka.

The Russian Salad (diced potato, carrot, peas and ham bound with mayonnaise) was tasty and filling. The baked white cheese (a sort of cooked version of Shopska Salad) came in its traditional cooking pot full of tangy flavour. And finally the Boylar's Sausage (round sausage with fried potatoes in a rich mushroom (??) sauce) was the hearty meaty bit.

Exactly what I was after and with the bill of about 15 Leva well worth writing home about!

• Beer Tasting

• littlebush's Profile Photo

St George: St George

by littlebush Updated Jul 7, 2009

Set on an old cobbled side street (14 G.Mamarchev Str) this restaurant advertises fortress views however there is only one small table and 2 chairs that are located outside that have the views, but it is still a nice little restaurant with nice staff.
    I had a shopska salad and tea - which was nice enough.

• unaS's Profile Photo

Lino Cafe: Magnificent view from terrace.

by unaS Updated Aug 2, 2008

Magnificent view from terrace.

Down a small alley way that you might hesitate to go down - Don't hesitate! .
    Big sign on Nezavisimost street.

Marvelous panoramic view from the balcony day and night.
    I watched the Sound & Light show on Tsaravets Hill from here - and I was not alone :->)

Coffee shop and Bar. Small meals, sandwiches, drinks, ice cream, pastries.

Can sit all day on a single cup of coffee or a beer.

Favorite Dish: The coffee is delicious!
    Good sandwiches and salad.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• unaS's Profile Photo

Vinarnata: Ate here 3 times!

by unaS Written Jul 27, 2008

Best food that I ate in Veliko Turnovo.

Clean. Pleasant waitress. Helpful and friendly.

Wide choice of food – good veggie dishes in addition to regular meat meals.
    Lovely salads.
    Prices reasonable.

Can get crowded at lunch time, then people are expected to share tables.
    Can sit for hours over a drink or eat a quick meal.

Nice outdoors tables, covered and comfortable.

Wine, beer alcoholic drinks available.

Favorite Dish: Enjoyed the Shepherd's salad especially.
    Also of course the well known Shopska Salad.

Servings too big to finish.
    They were quite happy to wrap up the leftovers for me to take back to the hotel.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• mingul's Profile Photo

Bolyarski: Bolyarski

by mingul Updated Mar 30, 2008

The restaurant

In the 4 Star Bolyarski Hotel there are several restaurants. You can eat in a fancy restaurant or you can try the steakhouse and grill restaurant from the last level. The menu here contained exclusively grilled dishes.

Prices are also very decent here and the service is at its best.

Favorite Dish: Everything on the menu I have tried was a delight

• Ego

by ger4444 Written Feb 22, 2008

wonderful panorama

This large space decorated with flowers is very relaxed. The restaurant has a big menu to chose from and it looks very fresh, They don’t spreak English but the staff is quick and friendly.but service is fast and friendly. Tambaktu salad – cheese, mango, greens, and cucumber. Here salad portions are huge, so you have at as a main dish. Another maindish which is delicious is poleshko kavarma -- roasted chicken with onion, tomatoes, peppers, corn, peppers. That is, if you are still hungry after the salad.

• Ignis's Profile Photo

The happy man (Shtastliveca): Soap - Tarator

by Ignis Written Oct 11, 2007

Location: In the center of the town, near by the Pоst.
    The restaurant have a beautiful view to monument of Asenevci.
    In the restaurant you can find differently local meals and standard meals, but the atmosphere is unique and you can feel like a Bulgarian.

Favorite Dish: Croquettes and sach with meal and vegetables.
    Baked potatoes with cheese and mushrooms.

• mingul's Profile Photo

Restaurant Trapezitsa: The Best Balkan Menu ever

by mingul Written Jun 14, 2007

This is a famous place in Veliko Turnovo. It is trully one of the best restaurants I have ever seen in means of menu. Not to mention that the prices are amazingly low:)

You will be able to choose from a huge variety of Bulgarian, Albanian, Yugoslavian, Greek, Turkish and Romanian dishes.

Favorite Dish: Something from the Yugoslavian dishes menu, beef stuufed with cottage cheese and bacon, absolutely amazing.

• thenomadcat's Profile Photo

Restorants with view

by thenomadcat Written May 30, 2007
    View from the table

There are a few restaurants (Trapezitsa, Boliari) in Veliko Tarnovo that offer great views over the town. This one is on 2 levels and is great for a quick breakfast or a coffee break. The prices are low and food is fresh.

Favorite Dish: Chocolate cake.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Pasta and Pizza: Best restaurant in Eastern Europe

by JohnniOmani Written Jan 26, 2007

Usually busy but this one was taken in the morning

The enormous menu (in English) offers all sorts of cuisine both Bulgarian and Foreign. The restaurant is beautiful and the seats near the back of the restaurant offer superb views overlooking the gorge. I ate here four times in four days and the food just kept getting better and better. This IS the place to eat in VT.

Favorite Dish: The pizzas are massive and dirt cheap. The quality and size of the salads have to be seen to be believed. Everything I tried was amazing.

Instant Answers: Veliko Turnovo

Comments

Veliko Turnovo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Veliko Turnovo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Veliko Turnovo sightseeing.

View all Veliko Turnovo hotels