Naroden Park Vitosha Warnings and Dangers

Freezing!
    15 days later

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Naroden Park Vitosha

• Rusket's Profile Photo

Follow the marked trails!

by Rusket Updated Jul 31, 2006

If not, you might end up like me! The road is winding, and we were tempted to take a shortcut. Pic 2 shows what it looked like BEFORE it started descending: rocks in a muddy path. Trying to avoid the mud, I pretended to be a mountain goat, jumping from stone to stone. Not a wise thing to do, especially when the path goes steeply downwards. What a pity nobody took a picture of me before I washed myself in a clear stream and with wet wipes! I was covered in mud, some of it still visible on my shirt and face. Luckily Elge, who as usual was sitting in my backpack, was not hurt. But as you see on the main picture, he fainted by the sight of blood ;-) I was lucky, too, I did not break anything and I did not hit my head. And the third lucky thing: The Bulgarian Red Cross has a mountain rescue service only an hours walk from where I fell (link below + own tip). AND I did not smash my camera!

15 days later: People are asking me how my leg is: In fact I hurt both legs and my left knee. Knee still hurts a bit, infection in left leg almost gone and very little pain. I have added a picture (pic 3) to show the healing process :-)

Injury, Vitosha Shortcut, Vitosha 15 days later
    • Mountain Climbing
    • National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

• Rusket's Profile Photo

Bring enough clothes!

by Rusket Written Jul 30, 2006

It is windy, and often cold up here, even on a warm summer day. No wonder: It is 2290 meters above sea level, average yearly temperature is minus 0.3 C! On this picture I am sitting down to minimise the areas for the wind to cool me down. I saw people coming up the trail in their bathing costumes: They had been walking up and were of course warm, but the wind must have cooled them down rapidly! I, on the other hand, had taken the chair lift. My shirt was thin and my legs bare, I was half stiff of cold upon arrival. Once the wind stilled, it was better, but those moments never lasted long.

So please do not make the same mistake as I did, bring a warm sweater and long legged trousers!

Freezing!
    • National/State Park
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Naroden Park Vitosha

Comments

Naroden Park Vitosha Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Naroden Park Vitosha warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naroden Park Vitosha sightseeing.

View all Naroden Park Vitosha hotels