Know about this? Rate It!
Kambanite (The bells)
25 years from the opening of the monument were celebrated this month.
The monument was initially called "Flag of peace" monument. It was built back in 1979 and was dedicated to the first so-called International children assembly Flag of Peace. This assembly was an idea of the doughtier of Todor Jivkov (the country's leader then), Ludmila Jivkova. It was a gathering of kids from the communist countries in order to show their talents and culture to each other.
Later in 1990 , after the fall of the communist regime, it was renamed to Kambanite (The bells).
The monument is an ugly construction made out of concrete. Though I kind of like the idea of what it should represent.
It comprises of four rectangular bodies facing the four directions of the world. In the highest part of the monument you will see 7 big bells with a weight between 700 and 1 000 kg symbolising the 7 continents. 16 bells from different countries with a different shape and size supplement the composition. The bell of Bulgaria weights 1 300 kg which equals the years of existence of the Bulgarian state.
There are more bells around from all over the world, I think they were over 100. What I like is that one can see that we all have bells which makes us all the same but at the same time one can see how different the bells are which comes to tell that after all, we are very unique and we should learn to live with it :)
There are meadows around the monument, which are nice places for a picnic. I also heard that the place is good for cross-country biking.
Kambanite (The bells) monument is situated close to Mladost 4 leaving area on the opposite side of the ring road. It is near to Bunkera and Malinova dolina villa zones.
There is a side road to the monument, you will see the monument itself so you will know where to make a turn :)
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save Up To 50% On Hotels
- Orbitz.com Find great deals on Orbitz & pay no hotel change or cancel fees
Sofia Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Napa Hotels
- Massachusetts Hotels
- Muscat Hotels
- Sri Lanka
- Davao City
- Or Yehuda Hotels
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Arizona Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Crete Island Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Chattanooga Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path