churches, Sofia

Know about this? Rate It!

• "Sveti Sedmochislenitsi"
    by Balkan_Yovo
  • Balkan_Yovo's Profile Photo

You can never see everything...

by Balkan_Yovo Written Sep 8, 2002

You can never see everything there is to see when visiting a city, I know there is so much more for me to explore around Sofia, even though it's where I was born and where I lived a big part of my life. I know for a fact, though that many people miss to see the beautiful churches, like the one on the picture, that are built mostly in Neo-Byzantine style and show what Bulgarian architecture from centuries ago was like. I don't know if most people do, but you should definitely check out the President's Guard marching in front of his office, located between Batenberg Square and Nezavisimost square. I doubt many people get to visit the book market on Slaveikov square, it's a favorite place for me to go, since so many books that one can't find in libraries, or bookstores anymore are being sold and of course to buy some pirated CD's! A friend of mine bought something for 15 leva (one CD costs that much, which is about $7), that would have cost him 700 Swiss Francs in Switzerland! He practically paid for his ticket with that bargain!

• Architecture