everything in bulgarian, Sofia

by desert_princess
  • DPando's Profile Photo

Bloody streets

by DPando Written Feb 28, 2006

if something could drive me crazy is walking by sofia streets and i can widespread this comment to others eastern countries...why ..because its so hard to find which is that street or that square... besides its all in cyrilic, just cyrilic so its so hard the first and the second time you get there !! actually the first days are so hard to understand people and be understood to others...luckily there are always people glad to help u but its not common there !!

• Street Signs in Sofia are in Cyrilic

by desert_princess Updated Oct 5, 2005

I am walking the Sofia streets and trying to look it through the eyes of a tourist... It gives me a new view to everything. So as I said the street signs are all in Cyrilic and a map wouldn't be much of an use or try to get a double language map. It would be a good idea to learn the Cyrilic alphabet before you head for a Sofia adventure. Or give me a buzz ,hopefully I'm still around...
    Oh I saw some progress - Maria Luiza street has a sign in both Bulgarian and Cyrilic

Street signs
    • Architecture
    • Business Travel

• GCoop's Profile Photo

Daunting, but safe!

by GCoop Written Jun 11, 2005

Yes ALL the signs are in Bulgarian. What did you expect? This was kind of confusing sometimes when I was trying to figure out what building I was at.
    On the proside however, Sofia felt VERY safe. The streets were always desrted at night when I was on them. Some areas were well lit as well, but some definitely were not. Just use your head.

• Not all Street signs in Cyrilic

by desert_princess Updated Jun 2, 2005

As I said I saw some progress. Not ALL the signs are in cyrilic. I discovered this one after an extended search , but it's one in a million. An effort to learn the cyrilic will help you tremendously while trying to find your way in Sofia.
    by the way I don't get it why it's wtitten "pl" ,which means square in bulgarian. It wouldn't mean anything to you unless you speak my language....go figure!!

Street signs in Cyrilic

• hekate's Profile Photo

Useless info

by hekate Written Nov 9, 2004

If you come to Sofia and walk around the city centre you will probably notice these information boards.

The purpose of these boards is to help the tourists to find their way. But I think that they were made either from someone who is having an ill sense of humor or from someone who is not very intelligent :)

The only thing written in English is the word information and the phrase you are here next to the red point which shows where you are at the moment. This is useful somehow but wouldn't necessarily take you where you want. :))) All the street names, bus stations and other info is in Bulgarian.

Not a warning or a danger, certainly, just a fact to be aware of. Better take a map with you than to rely on these boards.

Information Board