Know about this? Rate It!
Assens's Fortress (Assenova Krepost) dates back to the 11-12 cc AD. It was built during the reign of Tsar Ivan Assen II, one of the greatest Bulgarian kings (Second Bulgarian kingdom).
There are just some ruins left of it now, and the medieval church, "Holy Mother of God" which was partially restored. The views are great as the foirtress sits on a hill in the Rhodope mountains surrounded by many green peaks. On another hill next to the road to the fortress there is the chapel of St. Ilia.
South of Plovdiv, after Assenovgrad, on the way to Bachkovo Monastery and Pamporovo.
- Historical Travel
- Castles and Palaces
In the near of the little town of Assenovgrad at the foot of the Rhodopes you can find the fortress of Assen. This is a beautifull construction from the tenth century, a fortification from the times of the second Bulgarian kingdom. From the fortress you have great views.
Atrip to Assen's fortres
Here is the fortress wall, protecting the Emperor's stronghold. Part of the
fortress was restored in the 1900's, prinarily to prevent further deterioration. Located at the south /exit-entrance road to Pamporovo ski resort/ of the city Asenov grad.
A trip to Asens fortres
Me and two friends, Nora from Canada and Robert from Australia, I stoped to show them the Asens fortres ,we stood for photo on the wall outside the fortress before to drive to Boskovski Monastery with my car hehe they did not expected to see such great views and we hapened not so bad weather.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Plovdiv Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Seoul Hotels
- Dominican Republic
- Hermosa Beach Hotels
- Binan Hotels
- Airlie Beach
- Serian Hotels
- Jamaica Off The Beaten Path
- Atlanta Off The Beaten Path
- Toronto Off The Beaten Path
- Charleston Off The Beaten Path
- Alabama Off The Beaten Path
- San Francisco Off The Beaten Path
- New York City Off The Beaten Path
- Quebec Off The Beaten Path
- Vermont Off The Beaten Path
- Salt Lake City Off The Beaten Path
- Lexington Off The Beaten Path
- Ottawa Off The Beaten Path