Chuchura, Plovdiv

Salati
    Chicken Bites
    Unimposing Frontage
  • johngayton's Profile Photo

Chuchura: A Slightly Biased Review!

by johngayton Updated Jan 25, 2013

Unimposing Frontage

With my dinner companion for the evening being one of Plovdiv's most charming, educated and beautiful young women my experience of Chuchura was kinda skewed. It's only the fact that I took some pics of the food and the restaurant in general that allows me to even attempt to write a semi-objective review ;-)

You mightn't realise there's a restaurant here until you notice the cheffy manequin at the wooded doorway which leads into the covered garden courtyard - the signage is in fact only visible if you are on the other side of the road. But that's as it should be. This isn't a restaurant aimed at the tourist trade but rather is a village inn which seems somehow transmuted to the city centre and discreetly tucked away at the top end of the street of restaurants which runs parallel to the main pedestrianised shopping street.

When I arrived (being a gentleman always well in advance) I managed with my broken Bulgarian and the waiter's far more fluent English to ascertain that I had a smoking table (though I never did work out what the "garden bit" was all about - the website proclaims there is one) and beer was duly ordered.

No sooner had my beer arrived than did my dining companion - from then on the rest of the evening became a haze.

Favorite Dish: One thing I love about Bulgarian food is that it is designed for sharing and so we did. I think we began with a couple of salady bits - if I remember correctly something like a shopska and a yoghurt with walnuts. Some good bread and then chicken bites (pileshki hapki??) and my favourite, kebapche (a sort of lamb sausage).

Conversation flowed and the food was less memorable than the company.

Hey Mira - great evening!

• Beer Tasting