Varna Restaurants

by hanspeter_W.
  • Restaurants
    by mirchica

Most Recent Restaurants in Varna

• Restaurant Villa Marciana, Varna: Restaurant Varna - Villa Marciana the flag ship !

by StefanF10 Written May 25, 2014

Villa Marciana is the flag ship of fine dinnig restaurants and gourmet restaurants in Varna and Bulgaria. Some reviews on Virtual Tourist years ago lead me to this restaurant and since my first visit my family and me we are coming frequently to Villa Marciana, because it is the most beautyful and tasty place arround Bulgaria. The prices are still low and you receive a lot for your money: a beautyful garden, a original Japanes Teahouse where you can join a traditionally tea ceremony, BBQ in the summer garden and a very exclusive Restaurant.About the food: I apreciate very much the "Menu Degustation" with 6 courses and lot of surprises with elements of molecular cooking and sous vide. The deserts are the high end of the culinaric journey. Sometimes we order from the "Bistro Menu" or from the BBG-List, everything is extraordinary. The wine selection is great! The best Bulgarian red wines and a selection of international wines. Perfect for candle light dinner, for business celebrations. We celebrated the birthday of my wife there, our guests never were there before - and very happy and excited. The service is so freindly, you will foret the time at all...

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the testing menu every Thursday, every month completly new.
    And I like very much as starter the mome smoked salamon, best smoked salmon I ever had.
    As main dish I prefer foie gras and the poched egg on aspargus, Deserts are fantastic-

• Luxury Travel

• Villa Marciana: Don't Miss Fine Dining!

by marc17 Written Mar 6, 2014

Gourmet Restaurant and Event Restaurant in Padina near Varna.

(Belgian/German Author)
    den 60. Geburtsgtag meines Schwiegervater haben wir in Varna gefeiert. Über Tripadviser fanden wir ein Restaurant in einem kleinen Dorf nahe Varna und buchten es. Mein Schwiegervater hatte nie davon gehört. Sogar den Namen des Dorfes "Padina" hatte er nie gehört, obwohl er in Varna geboren ist und Padina nur 25 km entfernt ist. Um so größer war die Überraschung. Wir fuhren zunächst an einem großen Industriepark mit rauchenden Schloten vorbei um dann in einem kleinen, idyllischen Dörfchen zwischen kleinen Hügeln anzukommen. Als wir ankamen, hatte eion Hirte gerade seine Schafherde über den Dorfplatz getrieben und Enten und Gänse zwangen uns zu halten. Mitten in diesem Dorf steht ein Restaurant der Extra-Klasse: Villa Marciana. Ein sehr schön angelegter, romantischer Garten mit einem Barbeque, einem japanischen Teehäuschen und vielen überdachten Sitzplätzen mit einem Landschlösschen, der Villa Marciana. Sowohl das Ambiente als auch das Gourmet-Menü waren unglaublich. Wir kamen aus dem Staunen nicht heraus. Es gibt eine kleine Bistro-Speisekarte mit kleinen, schmackhaften Gerichten zu günstigen Preisen und ein Gourmet Menü, welches auch erfahrenen Kulinarikern Begeisterungsausrufe abnötigt. Alles bezahlbar! Service perfekt! Entweder für einen Ausflug ins Grüne oder für ein kleines Familien - oder Firmenfest der beste Ort. Übrigens im Sommer werden dort jedes Wochenende Hochzeiten gefeiert.

Favorite Dish: Gourmet Menü
    Fine Dining
    Barbeque

• Restaurant VIlla Marciana: Don't miss it for the world

by leila_gayton Written Dec 4, 2013

Villa Marciana is a very good place for your celebrations. Here you can have a wonderful time and taste very special meals prepared really profesional and quick. The staff is also very kind and always smiling which contributes greatly to the atmosphere. What I liked the most was the fact that the restaurant is surrounded by nature.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the beef carpaccio with foie gras mayonnaise, salad strawberries and arugula that I found to be deliciously fresh.

• Business Travel

• polo48's Profile Photo

Villa Marciana, Padina, Nr. Varna, Bulgaria: You'll Hardly Believe It

by polo48 Written Jun 18, 2013

It's hard to fully characterise the cuisine here, but you have to call it cuisine rather than food. Unusually for Bulgaria, this is a top-class eating experience in exceptional quality surroundings, at affordable prices.
    While the menu is quite eclectic, there is a bias towards the best of traditional Bulgarian cuisine, with imaginative touches from the chef and immaculate presentation.
    Set in large landscaped gardens, it boats a Japanese themed outdoor facility overlooking a pond with koi carp, an al fresco bar, a white peacock (caged), raised vegetable and herb beds (from where I assume they get much of their fresh garniture), and what appears to be a performance area (in the course of construction in June 2013).
    The building itself is an expensively converted school, mimicing the style of a Roman aristoctrat's residence. You would never know its previous history though: no expense has been spared in creating a feast for the eyes as well as the tastebuds.

Favorite Dish: There are so many gorgeous things to choose from, but my mushroom risotto with fresh parmesan would take some beating.
    Do leave room for the desserts, they are wonderful, from a simple sorbet with rich deep fruity flavour, to more complex dishes.

• Prego Cafe/Restaurant: Worst dining experience of my life!

by MilaKostad Updated Jun 28, 2012

First and foremost, I had the most atrocious dining experience of my life this evening at Prego. The waiter was charming, but the manager (I assume she was) was not. In fact, she was the most rude lady I have ever met in my life. We ordered a simple lettuce salad, and they couldn't even get that right. They give us salad that's wilted and rotten, so we sent it back. A few seconds later, the manager of the restaurant walks out and starts arguing with us that the salad was fine. We insisted that the salad was re-made, and two minutes later we got a salad that was even more rotten than the last. I, tired of getting food that was inedible, went in and yelled at the manager in English, telling her that the salad was garbage and I was not paying for it. To this, she yells back that I AM paying for it. This earns her a simple (excuse my language) F YOU from me, because not only was I getting terrible food, but I was getting terrible service, unacceptable to a citizen, let alone a tourist. Suddenly, she GRABS me by the arm and pushes herself against me. I warn her not to start a fight with me. After all, all I wanted was good food! She quickly walks out and tells my mother that my language was ugly and that it was not acceptable. If you ask me, she deserved to hear more, since her attitude was as rotten as the salad. She walks back in and then right out and yells that if I was in this country I had to learn Bulgarian. All in all, everyone in Varna, DON'T GO TO PREGO in Chaika... Once my favorite restaurant when I come visit my family from the States is now a place I will never step foot in.

• mirchica's Profile Photo

The fish tent: Fresh fish

by mirchica Written Aug 19, 2011

It’s one of the many restaurants at the alley by the beach. It offers wide range of salads and seafood dishes. Prices are normal for that place. One of the most delicious food I’ve tried was fried Horse Mackerel.

• pepsina's Profile Photo

Prodadena nevesta: I love the atmosphere!

by pepsina Written Nov 17, 2010

This was the first place I got in when I visited Varna. And it became my favorite, now I go there every time I visit the city. The atmosphere is very cosy, it is no more than 10 minutes walking from the center and at the same time very quiet. It is in the yard of the place where people get married, so especially on weekends you can see beautiful weddings. And the food has always been very good.

What impressed me the most about this place is the enormous collection of wines - I haven't seen any like this at other place in Bulgaria. All the walls are covered with hundreds types of wine. I love the way I go with my boyfriend, watch all of them, choose one and directly take it! It feels good :-)

Ohh, I also love in winter the big Chrismas tree they have! It becomes really romantic :-)

Favorite Dish: Oh, I love the chicken julien with cream sauce and mushrooms! It goes great with some french fries that I love to take with the sauce. Not very sophisticated, but sooo tasty :-))

And also I liked one salad with tomatoes, goat cheese, olive oil and some green spices. At the same time Bulgarian taste but with something more elaborated in it :-)

• Wine Tasting

• Inter Thai Restaurant: Interesting place, give it a try!

by Ivo_K Written Sep 19, 2010

I have found an article about this restaurant and since it is situated only 5 minutes walk from the city centre I visited it with some friends. It's a relatively small restaurant (very small inside but with a bigger summer garden), opened in the beginning of 2010 and built on the ground floor in a block of flats situated on a small strret. The parking is an issue though and you better take a taxi. The cook is a Thai lady (I have personally seen her), the food is cheap (we paid around 27 EUR for food and drinks of 3 people) and good (nothing exceptional though) but lacking variety - only 4-5 meals from each category. In general I remained with the idea that they are trying to make Thai dishes with local incredients. I ordered Singha beer, but they have run out of it. The place is worth a visit since it's pretty descent and the only Thai restaurant in Varna (or the only one I know), but you better make a reservation during the high season, because it doesn't have a lot of seats.

Favorite Dish: Pla Shu Shi - fried white fish with red curry and coconut sauce:)

• Beaches

• mirchica's Profile Photo

The fish (Ribkata): Fish restaurant

by mirchica Written Sep 15, 2010

That is a really small family restaurant. If my cousin hasn’t brought me there I’d never know about it. They have 5-6 tables outside in a small beautiful garden. A mother and son are running round the tables and the grandmother is working in the kitchen. They have so many kinds of fishes that it’s hard to choose one. Everything was so delicious. The only thing is that it’s far from the city center but if you are with somebody local it won’t be hard to find it.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Godzila: Well It IS One Of Bulgaria's National Dishes!

by johngayton Updated Mar 17, 2010

Tasty Food (And Beer)

Although the small chain of Godzila restaurants style themselves as "Pizzerias" they do in fact offer much, much, more. What they've done is slotted a pizza section into what is otherwise recognisable as very Bulgarian menu style (and of course pizza has become one of the national dishes) and added a little zing to everything.

The menu has a good range of soups and salads, with a few trendy updates as well as old-favourites. There's barbeques and grills, pot-dishes, the pizzas of course, plus a set of pastas. Home-made breads are the pizza-style flatbreads and there's a good range of side dishes and sauces too. Prices are cheap and cheerful and the food is all home-made using good quality fresh ingredients.

Decor-wise the dining rooms are casually arty, complimenting their various buildings' original interiors with glossy posters, formica tables, banquette seating and bright stylish lighting. Service is youthful and enthusiastically-friendly (English usually spoken and there is an English menu).

Favorite Dish: On a winter lunchtime I was after a warming light lunch and the "Sausage in Hotch-Potch" (Nadenitsa V Gyuveche on the Bulgarian menu) sounded exactly what I was after. Yep this was delish - chunky sausage baked with tomatoes, onion, garlic, white and yellow cheeses and topped with beaten egg. Accompanied by a plain freshly-baked pita bread and a beer the bill was about 8 leva.

Tasty food, value-for-money and great service in buzzy surroundings - well worth a visit or two.

Dom na Arkitekta: Not One For A Mid-Winter Visit

by johngayton Written Feb 26, 2010

Attractive Building

The aptly-named "Architect's House" is a superb example of the Bulgarian Black Sea National Revival style with its solidly-timbered upper storeys overhanging the stone-built ground floor.

Inside too the building showcases the period's craft woodworking with dark-panelled wainscotting and ornately-carved detail.

The restaurant is elegantly laid up with formal place settings, cleverly folded starched napkins and tempting displays of the house's range of fine wines. The menu is Mehana-style, though the prices veer towards that of a more formal restaurant, with most of the commonplace Bulgarian classics represented.

Unfortunately on my only visit, so far, it was mid-January and the city was under about five inches of snow. I did get a cheery "Dobar Vecher" welcome from all four members of staff as I entered to find the place otherwise deserted. (I should note though that the following evening when I went to my regular haunt, Orient, just down the road that was reasonably busy despite the snow).

The waitress, who spoke reasonable English, explained, as she handed me the menu, that because of the snow they weren't able to offer the whole menu. She recommended the house special "Knuckle of Pork" as that had been freshly-cooked and so I went along with that.

Favorite Dish: Being a chilly evening I decided to start with the "Sirene po Shopski" which is sort of the baked version of "Shopska Salad". This was good, a warming bowl of tangy white cheese and luscious tomatoes, and accompanied by a fruity Burgaska Muskatova rakiya.

I was less impressed with the pork though. I think there was a bit of poetic licence used in the term "freshly-cooked" as the hunk of meat that I got was dry and flavourless and the lack of any sensible accompaniement, such as a bit of mash potato, did nothing to help. Ach well it was edible - but it certainly needed a beer to help it go down.

Finishing with a coffee brought the bill to over 30 leva, which, even by city standards, was on the expensive side for a simple dinner. I suppose that explains why the place was deserted whilst Orient was doing OK.

Having said that this was a friendly place and even though deserted the staff seemed to be having a little party amongst themselves which at least gave it a bit of atmosphere.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Zaliva (The Bay): Mussels In The Bansko Style!

by johngayton Written Jan 28, 2010

Mussels Bansko Style

Bansko may not be anywhere near the sea but Varna's "Zaliva" restaurant certainly is. The characterful wooden shack, surrounded by faux-Roman walls, sits literally on the sands of South Beach and just to complete the nautical theming has a mock-up galleon as part of its inner deck. The mock galleon and Roman walls might sound a bit naff but otherwise the decor is modern with a touch of sophistication (although the main restaurant seating does a look a bit uncormfortable).

As to be expected the menu offers all sorts of seafood goodies and our pleasant and attentive waitress ran through the fresh specials for us. This a part of the locally-based BM group, with about five outlets in and around the city and whilst the technicolour offerings might suggest otherwise everything is in fact freshly-sourced and cooked on the premises.

Favorite Dish: I was intrigued by the "Mussels in the Bansko Style", especially with a forthcoming visit to the town, whilst Marina had chosen the restaurant specifically for its garlic prawn appetizer. Both these turned out to be excellent and the mussels especially flavoursome, cooked with a subtly-spiced risotto rice and a good fishy vineous stock.

A starter of plump juicy beef tomatoes with mozarella cheese went well with the fruity rakias and our other main course of a "Trio of Grilled Fish Fillets" had some good meaty white fish and well as a bit of overcooked, too-thinly sliced, salmon.

The overcooked salmon was the only fault and the whole shebang, including a rich creme brulee and a couple of beers, came to a perfectly-reasonable 45 Leva.

Definitely worth a visit if seafood is your thing.

• Beaches

• johngayton's Profile Photo

BMS Bulgarian Kitchen: Feast For A Fiver!

by johngayton Updated Jan 7, 2010

The Feast

Our lunch bill here came to exactly 10 leva which, at the present exchange rate, works out less than £5 for two main courses, bread, fried potatoes, salad and beer. Back home I couldn't have bought the ingredients to cook it myself for that!

The BMS Bugarian Kitchens are a small group of canteen-style restaurants, similar to Trops House, where the food is prepared trays at a time and set out in heated and chilled display cabinets. The one we ate at was opposite the railway station and here service was cheery and helpful; there was a good choice of dishes, including vegetarian options, and although the ambience was that of a factory canteen it was like a happy factory's.

My only minor complaint was that the food was lukewarm but I put that down to the fact that it was a slow day. Rather than keeping everything piping hot, which would have dried it out, the staff had decided to just keep it warm - it's always a compromise in that situation and so it wasn't a major problem.

Favorite Dish: For mains Marina opted for the Bean Stew whilst I had Stuffed Cabbage - both of which were tasty and fillling. The spinach salad was zingingly fresh, the chunky fries interestingly seasoned with a touch of turmeric and herbs, the bread suitably wholesome and the beer nicely chilled. Best "fiver" I spent that day!

Mehana Odayata: Going The Whole Hog

by johngayton Updated Jan 6, 2010

Signage

Odayata is situated on a busy main road heading east out of the city centre. The immediate area is mostly apartment blocks and hence the clientele is very much local. Decor-wise all the Mehana stereotypes are in place with plenty of natural wood and stone, the usual antique-style knicks-knacks and woven red tablecloths. Background music is traditional Bulgarian rather than the kitschy tourist stuff. Service is professional, swift and friendly (even though our waiter shook his head everytime we asked for something) and the menu covers a comprehensive selection of Bulgarian specialities.

This is a big restaurant, about 120 seats indoors and the same again on its terrrace, which lends itself equally to group dining and more intimate repasts. The tables are set well apart and the larger groups add to the overall ambience rather than taking it over.

Favorite Dish: With my Bulgarian friend, Marina, to guide me through the menu I could opt for a few adventurous dishes - not that I wouldn't anyway but at least with my personal translator I knew what I was going to get!

For starters we opted to share Mletna Salata and Meze za Apostoli along with the homemade Porlenka flat bread. The Mletna salad was balls of sieved yoghurt with cucumber, hazelnuts and dill, the concentrated yoghurt developing a savoury, almost cheese-like, flavour.

The Apostole's meze was a hot starter of tripe and mushrooms cooked in a very garlicky butter and finished under the grill with yellow cheese. The tripe dish was definitely one for tripe lovers, the meat cooked to almost exactly the same texture as the mushrooms, allowing just enough bite to get the flavour before being despatched, oyster-style, down the gullet.

For mains we both opted for pork dishes - in my case the Svinska Vratna Porzhola (Collar of Pork Steak). Marina informed me that this is the most popular choice with Bulgarian men and when the slab of succulently-grilled flesh arrived I could understand why. She herself opted for a Guyvech (pot-dish) of pork with tomatoes and other bits which, whilst tasty, she thought was a little over-seasoned, but not badly so.

We were now pretty stuffed but the temptation of the chococlate biscuit cake proved too strong and so that, along with excellent coffee, completed the repast.

Washed down with an excellently fruity (with hints of licorice, horse-sweat etc) Mavrud this certainly was going the whole hog and the 50 leva bill (including tip) more than reasonable.

Le Baron: The Healthy Option

by johngayton Updated Jan 6, 2010

Salata Arabiya (and Zagorka!)

UPDATE Jan 2010 - Le Baron is now closed but the site has been taken over by the Pub Alba people and so there's still a great selection of salads available.

Le Baron is a relatively new addition to the Varna dining out scene, having opened just before Chistmas in 2008. From what I gather Le Baron is part of a small chain of Bulgarian restaurants styling themselves as "Salad Saloons" with obviously the main offering being salads!

The Varna restaurant, with its brightly modern minimalism, is obviously targetted at the younger trendy crowd which it does seem to succeed in attracting, but even for this old untrendy I had a very pleasant light evening meal here on a quiet Sunday evening.

The menu consists of a choice of about 40 salads, in main course or side dish portions, with both traditional and exotic offerings plus pizza and pasta dishes. Service was a little hit nor miss though with one of the waitresses being bright and bubbly but totally unattentive whilst the other was attentive but very reserved - however between them they were getting the job done.

Favorite Dish: The menu was written in Bulgarian (tho' I believe there are plans to have an English version) and so it was a case of deciphering the salad's names and keeping my fingers crossed regarding what the ingredients would be. I opted for the Salata Arabiya which turned out to be some sort of fish with cashew nuts, chick peas, mozarrela cheese as well as the usual salady stuff. Why it was called Arabiya, I'm not sure (maybe on account of the chick peas?) but it was tasty, with a good dressing and for the large portion at 6.90 leva reasonably, if not particularly cheaply, priced.

Not the sort of place I would make a point in going back to but it seems to work for its target market.

Instant Answers: Varna

Comments

Varna Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Varna restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Varna sightseeing.