Vidin Restaurants

Pizza Diabolo - Delish!
    by johngayton

Most Recent Restaurants in Vidin

• josephescu's Profile Photo

Riverboat restaurants: try the fish dishes

by josephescu Written May 18, 2008

riverboat restaurants in Vidin

There are a couple of them, and not only have a location with a view…but the fish dishes are excellent. Allow time to prepare, and in the meantime, have a couple of Kamenitsa beers.
    Sadly, they close around 22,30 – 23,00 p.m.

For a late dinner & drinks, there are several other restaurants in the park near hotel Bononia.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

"The Other One On The River": I Got What I Asked For!

by johngayton Updated Apr 25, 2008

Ariana ;-)

I've had to call this "The Other One..." as I never did manage to work out what its name is, assuming that it actually has a name. At first I thought it was called "Ariana" but that's the name of the beer!!

Anyway, name aside, this was the first time I had actually been presented with a menu written totally in Bulgarian and a waiter, a young pleasant guy, who didn't seem to speak any English and so I was left to decipher the Cyrillic and order with fingers duly crossed. The beer was the easy bit, which arrived as I sat decoding - just to make things even more confusing for me the menu had been written in a handwriting script which is entirely different from the simple standard type fonts that I'm used to which took a little time. Time on the river, with the afternoon sun filtering gently through the canvas awning, my beer in hand, was something I had plenty of and so I spent probably 30 minutes with the menu before ordering. This was actually very good timing because my first beer was almost done and ordering my lunch coincided neatly with asking for another beer!

Favorite Dish: Well, I can't say it was my favourite dish, in fact it was pretty naff, but I ordered "Riba...something" and "Shopska Salata". The salad was OK but the fish turned out to be a couple of very bony dry fillets of some totally unidentifiable white fish fried in a heavy artificial crumb which even a good squeeze of the chunky lemon wodge failed to enliven. Salad was OK though. But at least I did manage to order my whole meal from start to finish totally in Bulgarian and so even though the food itself was pretty naff I did at least get what I asked for which was a minor triumph. Also, it was cheap!!

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Fish Restaurant "Shlepa" (??): When you're literally on the river...

by johngayton Written Apr 24, 2008

Signage and Boat

This was my first attempt at eating Bulgarian here in Vidin but it was a bit of a cheat as the menu not only had English translations for most of the dishes but also glorious technicolour pictures too and so it was kind of difficult to go wrong.

This is one of the boat restaurants moored here on the river and with the sun shining is definitely a prime spot to sit with a late lunch and watch the river go by. The menu is obviously predominantly fishy with the usual assortment of salads and various snacky bits such as cheesy chips and the food is simple but good, just a shame about the service!!

Maybe the waitress was having an off-day, or maybe she was from Sofia, but anyway this was the only occasion here in my four days that I actually experienced surly service but hey the sun was out, the river flowed gently past, the beer was cold, the food was OK and the bill less than 12 Leva and so I'm not going to complain too much

Favorite Dish: I had only had a fish course from the barbeque section of the menu which was described as "Som Na Skara" and whilst it didn't have an English translation did have a colour pic and duly arrived just like the menu picture. "Na Skara" means grilled and the fish itself, the "Som" was one I'm not familiar with (perhaps a local pike-perch type river fish??) but was tasty anyway.

• johngayton's Profile Photo

Classic Pizzeria: Bulgaria's Other National Dish!

by johngayton Written Apr 24, 2008

After Dinner Pic

Bulgaria has a very diverse culinary tradition with influences from all over Europe and has evolved its own little repertoire of National dishes such as Shopska Salad, Kavarma Kebap and Banitza, to name but a few. However more ubiquitous than any of these is our old favourite: The Pizza. Vidin has several pizza restaurants, along with take-away kiosks and street stalls but the busiest, buzziest and, in my opinion, best has to be Classic Pizzeria down by the river.

I ate here twice in 4 days, the first time because I needed to eat, having spent most of the day travelling, and didn't have enough confidence in my limited Bulgarian to attempt to eat anywhere more challenging. The second time, on my last evening, because I enjoyed the first visit.

All the standard pizza variations are on offer here along with a few of their own devising and in addition the menu offers a range of salads, including of course shopska, along with selection of other dishes. On both occasions that I ate here the place was very busy with a great local atmosphere which was enhanced by the friendliness of the equally busy serving staff for whom nothing seemed a problem, even my garbled attempts at Bulgarian!!

Favorite Dish: It has to be the Pizza Diabolo (twice!) whose topping included local sausage, pickled cucumber, hot sweet peppers and other tasty goodies on a perfectly crispy thin crust and just the right amount of spice for my personal taste. Another favourite, of course, was the cold Zagorka to wash it all down!

• Milanovata Kashta: Great food, great wine

by davidstark Written Apr 10, 2007

I, too ,had the best food in Bulgaria in this small town, Vidin, in a restaurant called "Milanovata Kashta"(means "The House of Milan"in bulgarian). Great ambience(check the first floor), tasty food, good wine(their house wine was better than the expensive wines I had in the fancy places in Sofia). I highly recommend it!

• Milanovata Kashta: The best food I had in Bulgaria

by stephenhowell Updated Apr 6, 2007

I stopped for a quick dinner and ended up staying for hours. The food was awesome, I really recommend the claypots(I forget the bulgarian name for them). Due to my limited bulgarian I had a very small conversation with the owner, Milan, but he seemed like a very cool and honest guy. And...great wine!

Instant Answers: Vidin

Comments

Vidin Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Vidin restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vidin sightseeing.