Medvednica Local Customs

Where's the ATM?

Best Rated Local Customs in Medvednica

Stamping

by diocletianvs Written Apr 17, 2004

I was never a big sports guy so when I had to choose a sport as part of the obligatory sports activities at the University, walking to Sljeme seemed the easiest option. No sweat at the gym and no need for coordination as in some sports (I was born with two left legs) – just walking, having fun, and the best part: having some nice food up there.

We were supposed to collect 6 stamps in our semester cards in order to pass. Walkings tours were organized each Saturday. We would start at 8 in front of the tunnel, and report to our professor. Then he would go for a coffee and we’d start walking. After about 45 minutes the path above Adolfovac crosses the road, and that’s where the professor would wait for us (in his car). He would then put a regular stamp saying “University of Zagreb – Faculty of Architecture” on our hand. Sometimes he’d even make the second check point and put a second stamp.

Once on top you would have to prove (by stamps on your hands) that you walked and didn’t take a cable car. It is here that we would finally get a stamp in our semester card.

As the blue ink is not easy to wash, it was always funny to take a tram back home while other people would stare at “Faculty of Architecture” stamp on our hands. Some students were even trying not to wash it during the whole weekend.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo

Everything is well marked ...

by diocletianvs Written Apr 16, 2004

Where's the ATM?

Well, maybe not everything. If you're not experienced in hiking then finding the right hiking trail sometimes can be difficult. the good news is that almost all trails lead up to Sljeme peak, so you shouldn't be lost.

Somewhere near the top you might also find the funny signs, like this one showing the nearest bankomat (ATM) in Zagreb :-)
    In case you need some cash.

Say Hello

by diocletianvs Written Apr 16, 2004

Exit from the Nature Park

Hiking was something new for me when I first arrived in Zagreb. So at first I was rather surprised that - knowing almost no-one in Zagreb, everyone said hello to me on Medvednica. Do I know you, people?

But it's rather usual custom when people are in the mountain, so get used to it and prepare your "Dobar dan" (Good day) to everyone you see walking on the same path with you. It's also easier if you want to start the conversation.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Medvednica

Comments

Medvednica Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Medvednica local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Medvednica sightseeing.