Cavtat Tourist Traps

Cars, scooters and bikes for rent
    by Rusket

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Cavtat

• aura-cavtat-holiday-apartments.co - be very wary

by ashri Written Nov 2, 2007

I just spent a week in Cavtat (lovely place, second trip this year) and booked an apartment in advance in Villa Mare Apartments through this company: it seemed ideal for me & my elderly father based on the pictures (we live in different countries & seldom see each other, this was to be a real 'treat'). We arrived & were sent to a different apartment - in good condition but without the specifics which had guided our choice e.g. it was impossible for my dad to sit on the low hard futon which was the only living room furniture, there was no washing machine, the kitchen was tiny and didn't have so much as a toaster etc...
    And then the agent came to ask for more money, and went ballistic when I said I rather expected an apology and perhaps a small discount.

Unique Suggestions: My advice is not to use this company at all, but if you like the look of the apartments it offers, go through the UK company 'holidaylettings', with which it is also listed. It appears to be an agency in the sole hands of one rather loopy woman and they probably have more influence with her than lone tourists.

Fun Alternatives: Sometimes staying in self-catering apartments rather than hotels is a more comfortable option and there are some lovely ones in Cavtat, run by wonderful people. The actual owners of the place we stayed were very obliging and very embarrassed by our agent's behaviour. However, apart from suggesting sticking to a reputable large-scale letting agency and possibly missing out on more local options, I don't quite see what the alternative might be to trusting someone with a website that looks as convincing as this one.

• Seniors

• Fish in Restaurants by the Kg

by pub_dog Written Sep 4, 2007

In some restaurants local fish is sold by the kilo and you will see things like "Fish of the day" or "Local fish" on the menu at between "260 - 280 kuna kg" thats approx £26 - £28. This includes things like Langoustines etc.

BEWARE. We ate in Galija Cavtat and we wanted fish (party of four). We were persuaded to pick a fish (large flying fish) that would feed all four of us. The fish came and it was admittedly delicious and we couldn't finish it all. However, when the bill arrived the fish alone tuned out to weigh 4kg. So, the fish alone cost £100. They weigh at catchweight.

Unique Suggestions: My advice, pick your fish, then ask the waitress to weigh it pre cooked. If it fits your budget away you go. If not return it and pick something smaller / lighter.

We met another guy who was caught out on the Langoustines. Again delicious but he nearly fainted when he got the bill. With Langoustines set a weight, i.e. "no more than xx amount".

Fun Alternatives: Buy a rod, line and cast. Catch your own off shore. I'm kidding of course but you will find plenty of casual fishermen casting of the rocks around Cavtat.

• Rusket's Profile Photo

Don't rent a bike if you are not in good shape

by Rusket Written May 26, 2006

Cars, scooters and bikes for rent

Once you are down in Cavtat, there are simply no places to go, unless you want to climb those steep road hills. That is, you can go along the coastline to resorts and beaches, but it would,'t take you more than 1/2 hour to walk anyway. Personally, I wouldn't rent a scooter, either. With theese narrow, steep, curvy roads, and car drivers not very polite towards the more vulnerable road users.

Unique Suggestions: If you stay at Hotel Croatia or one of the B&B / apartments on the hill closer to the main road Magistrala, you can use a bike to get around. But you will regret it if you take it down to the shore. And again, these narrow roads ...

• Cycling
    • Adventure Travel

Instant Answers: Cavtat

Comments

Cavtat Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Cavtat tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Cavtat sightseeing.