Know about this? Rate It!
How good is your Latin?
To the west of Dubrovnik, on an bluff overlooking the sea, is the independent fortress of Lovrijenac - independent because it is not connected to the city walls like the other fortress to the east known as Revelin.
It is not known when Lovrijenac was built, but it is fairly certain that it had been completed by the very early 1300s.
Above the entrance of this impressive fortress are the words "Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro".
Ok, you Latin scholars, what does this mean?
- Historical Travel
From the Pile gate of the old city, it's just a short walk to the Lovrjenac Fort. This is a fine monument and a wonderful place to take photographs of the whole city of Dubrovnik. It's pretty deserted, being off the tourist trail, but worth a stop. There is a small admission fee.
The walls around Ston marked the northern edge of th eDubrovnik Republic. Mali Ston nearby has more restaurants and clearly a busier but less picturesqu place. We stopped off on the way to exploring parts of the Peljeclac Penninsula
A trip around the walls of Ston - great for a couple of hours,. A handful of restaurants none of which were particularly busy when we visited. A relaxing time.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Dubrovnik Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Las Cruces Hotels
- Sant'Agata Bolognese Hotels
- Vancouver Island Hotels
- Garden City
- U. S. Virgin Islands
- As Salt Hotels
- Literary Paris
- Gozo Off The Beaten Path
- Magog Off The Beaten Path
- Carson City Off The Beaten Path
- Surrounding places and cities
- Shinjuku Off The Beaten Path
- Palanga Off The Beaten Path
- Miami Beach Off The Beaten Path
- Baton Rouge Off The Beaten Path
- Newcastle Off The Beaten Path
- Bunbury Off The Beaten Path
- Yangshuo Off The Beaten Path