Croatian Cuizine, Dubrovnik

Konoba Rhea Silvia
    Dundo Maroje
    Konoba Rea Silvia, Dubrovnik
    by Airpunk
  • Croatian Cuizine: RESTAURANT GUSTI - the WORST in Dubrovnik!!

by neljoa Written Jan 1, 2015

I spent my New Year holidays in Dubrovnik and from all restaurants I have tried during 5 days in dubrovnik, the restaurant Gusti was the worst.
    Its location is in the center (Izmedjuu polaca 11) and I really advice any tourist to stay away from it. There is a someone at the door who will try to convince you to enter and once you get in, you will be completly stolen.
    It is extremely expensive considering the quality of food,which is globally poor.
    Be careful with any suggestion of wine, cause they will try to sell the most expensive one and they do not say the price!!!
    They really steal tourists!
    In the end I paid 1200 kn (150 €) for 2 persons and I never felt so disappointed with a restaurant!

TAJ MAHAL: THE BEST BOSNIAN FOOD

by DAO Written Jun 24, 2014

Despite its name, the Taj mahal is an authentic Bosnian restaurant owned and run by the Macanovic family. It is a small restaurant which is tatestfully decorated with Bosnian and Middle Eastern items covering the walls. Service is slow. There is no getting around this. As all the food is cooked from scratch, it is best to order drinks when you get the menu then order everything when the drinks come back. They will try and accommodate you inside on chilly evenings. This usually involves splitting up tables. Its is very cosy inside. The food is wonderful. Everything is first class here. Even the tea is brought to you on a tray with Turkish Delight. Their wine list is very good and has some amazing local wines. A real 'must eat' if you have the patience. If it helps, they have opened a second location (much larger) n the ground floor and terrace of Hotel Lero. Although it will not have the same atmosphere as the Taj.

Favorite Dish:

Mixed grill and a bottle of Gracin Babić red wine.

DESSERT MIXED KEBAB

KONOBA LANTERNA: WONDERFUL

by DAO Written Jun 24, 2014

I found this wonderful restaurant by accident. Actually my nose smelled the wonderful food as I walked past. I liked the menu and briefly walked in to speak to the man I think was the owner. I explained I would be back for dinner and he showed me a menu. Then I smelled more wonderful flavors coming from the kitchen. I was hooked.

When I returned the same quiet and polite man greeted us. We were shown a table in the pleasant and cozy interior. After I ordered a beer I noticed 2 Chinese ladies receiving their seafood platter. They were amazed at the portions and dug in. They were very happy with their meal as were the other dinners.

OK, starters. I had tuna salad that they managed to make awesome. Really lots of fresh tuna. My dining companion had cheese spaghetti. This was actually made from fresh bleu cheese. Lots of it. Amazing.

Then the meat arrived! The Dalmatian Ribsteak was a garlic steak cooked to perfection. When we asked for potatoes rather than fries, we were offered 'boiled potatoes'. This actually turned out to be an amazingly creamy mash.

My mixed grill was stunning. Ordered with roast vegetables, it was just utterly fantastic. All of it was succulent and spiced perfectly. Washed down with a glass of wine.

If you only have 2 nights in Dubrovnik, I would suggest you eat here and next door at the Taj Mahal (Bosnian food). I did eat at both and I have to say my favorite meal was here at the Lanterna. Konoba means 'Tavern', but its actually an old, well run, family restaurant. Service is already included in the price, but I tipped the man anyway. They are quiet and reserved, so sometimes you do have to go to the front of the small restaurant. However, nothing is a problem and they are happy to explain everything on the menu. Its cozy and quiet inside. All the food I saw looked divine and the other dinners were very happy with their meals. Even their wet towelettes were classy.

This is a great restaurant and I do think people get it confused with somewhere nearby. The food is excellent and I would recommend this restaurant over and over again. Just have a look at the pictures of the food!

Favorite Dish:

I had the Tuna Salad as a starter. Fresh, delicious, a generous amount of fresh tuna, well seasoned and just excellent. I had the house red wine (ok) with the mixed grill. Perfection! Moist, hot, spiced to perfection (not too much) and lots of it. Also had a very large cold beer. Just great!

TUNA SALAD - LANTERNA STYLE RIBSTEAK DALMATIAN STYLE WITH GARLIC - DELICIOUS SEAFOOD PLATTER LANTERNA MIXED GRILL !!!!

DOMINO STEAKHOUSE: OLD WORLD CHARM

by DAO Written Jun 23, 2014

Domino opened its doors to hungry customers in 1982 and offers fantastic food for meat lovers who like professional service when they wine and dine. I decided to eat inside because it was a little chilly and received a warm welcome. You can actually watch your food being prepared from your table. And if you order any flambé dish, they will bring the cooking table to you. They know how to do beef. They even have a guide to the different cuts of beef that you can enjoy at your table. You can also have fresh fish, but this is a place to have and enjoy local Croatian steak. I had a couple of glasses of red Croatian wine and they really complemented my meal. The best is that the waiters are professional and offer a flawless service. When you dine inside they can see, and do react, to even a turned head. You will wait and want for nothing. A great dining experience.

Favorite Dish:

I had a 'mixed grill' dish with glasses of 2 varieties of red wine. Magnificent !

PROFESSIONAL SERVICE

• GUSTI: GUSTI - Small but excelent place for food and wine

by casymyr Written Apr 23, 2014

There are awful lots of places with pizza and pasta in Old Town Dubrovnik, not what we came for to Croatia.
    We found a very nice small wine and food restaurant in a narrow street "Izemedu polaca" parallel to the main street "Stradum". The name of the reataurant is GUSTI. They cook with love, and the staff is very nice and not intrusive, like in other places.
    In lunch time they offer "Light Lunch" a special menu at a reduced price. They served us an extra appetizer, soup, main dish (we had one fish and one chicken) together with roasted vegetables, and crêpe as dessert. Everything very delicious.
    It is worth to sit - or at least to look - inside. Nice medieval room and lots of wine in shelfs at the walls.

Favorite Dish: Real Croatian food, no fastfood, well cooked and delicately spiced. Special offers for lunchtime.

• pugwashman's Profile Photo

Lokrum Restaurant: DO NOT EAT HERE !!!!!!!!

by pugwashman Written Oct 18, 2013

We wish we never had the misfortune of eating at this restaurant.
    It was horrid, easily the worst meal we had on our holiday, and may well be the worst we've ever had. And it wasn't cheap.
    It's seems to be run by a group of young kids, and the food is disgusting.
    We had grilled chicken which was tasteless, and a seafood risotto which was just a couple of crab sticks cut up and mixed with normal rice. While we were sitting there someone else sat down at a table near us and ordered seafood risotto and got something completely different.
    We wish we'd read the reviews on Trip Advisor before we went here as no-one, and I mean no-one has a good word to say about it.
    So be warned, do not make the same mistake.

Favorite Dish: we didn't have one.
    our favourite moment was when we left !

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Konoba Rhea Silvia: Good place for breakfast and brunch

by Airpunk Written Aug 28, 2013

A good alternative if your bed and breakfast comes without the latter, though surely not the cheapest options. Choose from several warm (sausage omelette, scrambled eggs, etc.) as well as bread and butter. Prices for an omelette were around 30-40 kuna (2013). Coffee, tea and cold beverages are extra of course. If you have not eaten it before, try cheese from the island of Pag.

Konoba Rhea Silvia Konoba Rea Silvia, Dubrovnik Me at Konoba Rhea Silivia

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Dundo Maroje: Good restaurant with a classic name

by Airpunk Written Aug 20, 2013

Good restaurant in one of the little alleys north to the Placa. The dishes are somewhere between solid home-made and traditional with a good variety of Dalmatian cuisine. Nothing luxurious or eclectic, but good quality food. Servings are usually a little to large in Dubrovnik's old town restaurants and this is again the case for Dundo Maroje. Therefore, think twice if you really want the 3-course set menu. Staff was very friendly and attentive without being annoying.

Favorite Dish: I had the fish in tomato (don't know exactly how the dish was called), but also tried the Grandma-style gnocchi with meat. Both were delicious home-made dishes.

Dundo Maroje

• sesame: just excellent

by petdim Written Sep 26, 2011

Innovative mediteranean cuisine,friendly staff,great wine list,just few passes from the old town,nice terrace,romanticThe Tovjerna is located in a 200-year-old family
    house, turned toward the North and surrounded
    by rich vegetation, including orange trees

Favorite Dish: steak with trufles delicious

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Antoninio: Try the Mussels

by wise23girl Updated Jun 19, 2011

This time we came by ship..."Seabourn Odyssey"
    On our previous visit we had spied this man seeking customers for Antonini's. This time we went to find him. So we walk through a narrow street and up a few stairs to find another street with a number of restaurants waiting for our custom...but we were "taken"

There were ony a few places left to fill and we were soon seated at a small table all set for a feast.

Some bread and an apertif were served and our order taken.

Favorite Dish: Well I chose a seafood platter....a small whole fish accompanied by prawns, squid, mussels.... Hey there I had never tasted mussels and certainly did not know how to manage them. The customers sitting next to us did not have much English but the man gave me a 'demo' which made all the difference.

Well Croation prices are cheap...2011...and they accept Euro or the Croation Kuna.

Master the art The sign Seafood platter Helpful strangers

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Konoba Lokanda Paeskarija: Convenient Reasonable and Views

by BruceDunning Updated May 25, 2010

The food was great and local flavors combined with items to meet tourist needs too. Location right by all the sites, but off the beaten path down by the water edge is fine, and the prices are reasonable. The drinks were pricey and the pivo/beer for a large glass was $5 and glass of wine $5-6

Favorite Dish: We liked the sardines marinated plate with cheese

Menu cover Open canopy and umbrellas in the square Sardines & cheese-MMM Shrimp risotto

• PowerJ's Profile Photo

Arsenal Wine Bar and Tarverna: Stay away if you don't want bad food!

by PowerJ Written Aug 30, 2008

The ambiance is very nice and has a great view of the harbor where the boats are moored. The outside patio is a great place to sit down and have a nice dinner and perhaps a bottle of wine. But that is where it stops. The service was horrible. We were greeted by a harried waiter with a hand full of dirty dishes wanting to take our order immediately. When I asked if he would like to return after he deposited the dishes, he quickly replied "no, give me your order". This place isn't like Denny's or Mc Donalds, but this guy was a nervous wreck. We ordered after 45 minutes and were treated to just mediocre food. The mussels for instance were mostly shells. A seagull could barely have made a meal of it. When I asked another waiter if it was really busy, his reply was "it is very slow". My opinion is that this is just another restaurant capitalizing on a great location and mediocre food. Pretty disappointing.

Favorite Dish: Cuttlefish risotto was very decent.

• Gradska Kavana: A great place for a coffee and some peoplewatching

by sabsi Written Jun 6, 2008

The terrace of this coffeehouse is perfectly located a little to the side of Luza square at the end of Stradun. From here you can watch all the tourists walk by and you are also provided with the best views of the swallows circulating over the old town. I remember sitting her for hours ordering too many drinks instead of continuing our walking tour of the old town. But isn't that what holidays are for?

Favorite Dish: We only had a few drinks here so I have to say "A Coke Zero and the views".

The view from Gradska Kavana The view from Gradska Kavana The terrace at night Gradska Kavana on the right

• Buffet Skola: Fantastic Sandwiches

by sabsi Written Jun 6, 2008

I had read about the sandwiches of Buffet Skola on Krista's Dubrovnik page here on VT. She had written so nicely about a ham and cheese sandwich, we simply had to try ;)

And right she was! We went to this tiny place in one of the side streets of Stradun (left handside coming from Pile Gate), sat outside in the shade and ordered a sandwich with olive oil cured cheese and Dalmatian smoked ham (Prsut). It was gorgeous! The perfect start for a wonderful day in Dubrovnik...

Favorite Dish: There are only a few sandwiches on the menu (Oil cured cheese, Ham, Ham and Cheese). I can really recommend the mixed sandwich with Prsut and Cheese. It's so lovely! The price: 17 kn as far as I remember.

Skola Sandwich, Dubrovnik Buffet Skola, Dubrovnik

• Konoba Mediterano: Great meat dishes!

by sabsi Written Jun 6, 2008

The manager of our guesthouse, Toni, had given us two advises on where to eat in Dubrovnik and one advise where not to eat.

We chose this place for a little VT dinner because it looked nice, with a nice outdoor seating on the square underneath the steps Uz jezuite. Plus there wasn't anybody trying to sell us anything, on the contrary, you could have a look inside the menu without anybody looking at you. And because the owner is a friend of Toni's, we knew he wouldn't mess it up! Plus the other place Toni had recommended, the popular Lokanda, had too much fish on the menu for our tastes.

It was a good decision. The food we got here was among the best we got on our whole trip, something I wouldn't have expected to happen in Dubrovnik! Prices are as high as they are in Dubrovnik, but here you can be sure to get a good meal!

The day we visited it was rather busy here with lots of tables being full. The poor owner/waiter/Mr. Bean impersonator was running around quite a lot. He still was very friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had marinated grilled turkey breast which was very good. Thomas had Turkey breast with Prsut and Mince sauce. I think it would be the only dish in Croatia he would leave Boban's "Gnocchi Mare e Monti" Fanclub for ;)

I am not telling you what Maxine had... I would immediately start laughing again (Hello dear Maxine, are you still hungry?)

Konoba Mediterano Konoba Mediterano VT Meeting at Konoba Mediterano