Croatian Cuizine, Dubrovnik

Restaurant - Konoba " DALMATA ": THE BEST RESTAURANT IN DUBROVNIK

by sarah160 Written Nov 29, 2004

restaurant/best food/dubrovnik/croatia

THE BEST SEAFOOD & STEAK RESTAURANT IN DUBROVNIK

FAMILLY OWNED NICE RESTAURANT ,EXCELLENT FOOD ,SERVICE IS VERY GOOD, I LOVE THIS PLACE.
    PRICE IS RIGHT,5 MINUTES FROM THE BEACH IN NICE AREA OF LAPAD.
    YOU CAN ALSO TRY TO RENT THE SEGWAYS ON OUTSIDE PATIO OF THE RESTAURANT .........EXCELLENT.....

Favorite Dish: GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST STUFFED WITH CHEESE

• wise23girl's Profile Photo

Antoninio: Try the Mussels

by wise23girl Updated Jun 19, 2011

Master the art

This time we came by ship..."Seabourn Odyssey"
    On our previous visit we had spied this man seeking customers for Antonini's. This time we went to find him. So we walk through a narrow street and up a few stairs to find another street with a number of restaurants waiting for our custom...but we were "taken"

There were ony a few places left to fill and we were soon seated at a small table all set for a feast.

Some bread and an apertif were served and our order taken.

Favorite Dish: Well I chose a seafood platter....a small whole fish accompanied by prawns, squid, mussels.... Hey there I had never tasted mussels and certainly did not know how to manage them. The customers sitting next to us did not have much English but the man gave me a 'demo' which made all the difference.

Well Croation prices are cheap...2011...and they accept Euro or the Croation Kuna.

• Buffet Skola: Fantastic Sandwiches

by sabsi Written Jun 6, 2008

Skola Sandwich, Dubrovnik

I had read about the sandwiches of Buffet Skola on Krista's Dubrovnik page here on VT. She had written so nicely about a ham and cheese sandwich, we simply had to try ;)

And right she was! We went to this tiny place in one of the side streets of Stradun (left handside coming from Pile Gate), sat outside in the shade and ordered a sandwich with olive oil cured cheese and Dalmatian smoked ham (Prsut). It was gorgeous! The perfect start for a wonderful day in Dubrovnik...

Favorite Dish: There are only a few sandwiches on the menu (Oil cured cheese, Ham, Ham and Cheese). I can really recommend the mixed sandwich with Prsut and Cheese. It's so lovely! The price: 17 kn as far as I remember.

• Lokrum: Best Lunch On Our Trip!

by GarciaFamilyGermany Written May 1, 2007

We ate lunch sitting outside the restaurant - enjoying the wonderful spring day and watching the people, locals and tourists, pass by on the cobblestone street. The owner and her son pampered us with fantastic service - even soaking the label off the beer bottle so my husband could bring it home as a souvenir! I eat fish often and I can safely say that the fish I had for lunch that day was the best I've had in years! My husband had a mixed grill platter (beef, pork and sausages) that he said was excellent. When the owner's son brought the change back to the table, he presented me with a handmade bookmark (how did he know I love to read?!?) with the name of the restaurant woven into the design. "A present for the lady.", he said.
    While waiting for lunch I was able to address our postcards and mail them immediately at the post office, which was, fortuitously, located right next door!

Favorite Dish: Fish and mixed grill platter.

• hquittner's Profile Photo

Konoba Dundo Maroje: A Side-street Restaurant

by hquittner Written Mar 1, 2005

Feeding my fellow seer

A pleasnt clean place with Croatian cooking. We shared a mussels buzara as appetizer and then had a sauteed veal dish (like a Milanese) and a lamb shashlik (shish kebab) plus Croatian wine For dessert we had sladoled(homemade ice cream). In season they manage to have some outdoor tables in the street(alley) but I don't know how.

Favorite Dish: Croatians love to grill food, young meat (lamb and veal are in good supply and prime). Thus our main courses werequite acceptable in this konoba which has been recognized by other VTers. The precise directions are below. They claimed the ice cream was homemade but how can one tell. It WAS good! This was lunch so judge the price.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Konoba Nava: Take your pick

by TheWanderingCamel Written Sep 7, 2006

Shall we go here?

The streets and squares along the main tourist beat of Dubrovnik are full of restaurants and cafes.
    "Konoba" is a Dalmatian term that indicates a simple establishment, serving local dishes - and there are plenty of those to choose from. They all have pretty much the same menu, and choice often comes down to where you can find a table. That's what we did and whilst I wouldn't call our meal haute cuisine, it was fine, full of flavour, and served with a smile. Tables were set up along a a narrow alley, in welcome deep shade, the beer was cold and refreshing ... what more did we need?

Favorite Dish: This was where our almost daily diet of grilled squid began. Tender and succulent, full of gutsy flavour. It was sooo good, we just had to have it again... and again... and again.

• Konoba Mediterano: Great meat dishes!

by sabsi Written Jun 6, 2008

Konoba Mediterano

The manager of our guesthouse, Toni, had given us two advises on where to eat in Dubrovnik and one advise where not to eat.

We chose this place for a little VT dinner because it looked nice, with a nice outdoor seating on the square underneath the steps Uz jezuite. Plus there wasn't anybody trying to sell us anything, on the contrary, you could have a look inside the menu without anybody looking at you. And because the owner is a friend of Toni's, we knew he wouldn't mess it up! Plus the other place Toni had recommended, the popular Lokanda, had too much fish on the menu for our tastes.

It was a good decision. The food we got here was among the best we got on our whole trip, something I wouldn't have expected to happen in Dubrovnik! Prices are as high as they are in Dubrovnik, but here you can be sure to get a good meal!

The day we visited it was rather busy here with lots of tables being full. The poor owner/waiter/Mr. Bean impersonator was running around quite a lot. He still was very friendly.

Favorite Dish: I had marinated grilled turkey breast which was very good. Thomas had Turkey breast with Prsut and Mince sauce. I think it would be the only dish in Croatia he would leave Boban's "Gnocchi Mare e Monti" Fanclub for ;)

I am not telling you what Maxine had... I would immediately start laughing again (Hello dear Maxine, are you still hungry?)

• Bexsy's Profile Photo

Palacinke: The best Palacinke (Pancakes)

by Bexsy Written Oct 4, 2004

We found the best place for take away pancakes. We went there each night after dinner and bought our pancakes and sat on the steps outside and chatted with the locals.
    It is situated on one of the streets off the Stradun heading up to Pireko. The shop is on the right hand side with a big yellow sign saying Pancakes in 5 languages. Ask for walknuts inside and chocolate sauce.
    They are THE BEST.

• Wanda Restaurant: Don't miss Wanda's pre-fix menu! A great deal!

by daninesty Updated May 10, 2007

Wanda Restaurant has a very romantic ambience!

The Mediterranean cuisine at Wanda is superb! My husband and I love the pre-fix menu, because we can try several different courses for one flat price. My husband loves their steaks, and I enjoy their seafood risotto. For dessert, try the traditional Dubrovnik dessert. It's yummy!!! The service was first rate, and the ambiance was quite romantic!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the seafood risotto. It has just a hint of garlic, and the seafood is fresh and flavorful.

• Croatian Cuizine: Fresh*: Get Fresh in Dubrovnik

by igotfresh Written Apr 23, 2006

Located in the heart of Dubrovnik's fabled old town, this new travel bar and cafe caters to travellers. They have a generous happy hour, free book exchange, and a notice board where you can leave messages and tips for other backpackers.

The overall vibe is chill. Visuals from around the world and an eclectic music selection makes Fresh an interesting location to eat and drink. Their menu includes vegetarian and non-veg wraps inspired by tastes from Mexico, Asia, and the Med.

Special highlights include tubes of ice cold beer, fresh fruit smoothies and martinis.

If you are looking for something different, make sure you get Fresh in Dubrovnik.

Favorite Dish: Wasabi Crab Wrap. Vitamin Supreme Smoothie.

Nice change from pizza and pasta :)

• Iteris's Profile Photo

Croatian Cuizine: Excellent Food In Outdoor Street Setting

by Iteris Written Apr 3, 2005

Promotional Card

It was our first night in the Old Town and we had no idea where the restaurants were. Whilst walking around The Stradun (main street) a young chatty girl appeared and showed us a menu and told us where her restaurant was in very good english. Lured in by her charisma, we accepted and took us up a flight of steps to a parallel street which all the way down was lined with eateries. 'Konoba, St.Moritz' as her family's restaurant was called provided us with an excellent meal. Being along a narrow street the tables were all linked in a row so you sat next to other tourists, which turned out to be quite interesting.

Favorite Dish: I can't actually remember the exact dish I had but I remember we had a 3 course dinner and every aspect was delightful, as all the vegetables and meet used tasted fresh and was well cooked. The service was good too and the prices could be described as 'moderate'.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Konoba Amoret: Croatian tavern

by croisbeauty Updated Nov 13, 2005

Konoba Amoret

Konoba is a sort of tavern, a room in the ground-floor which exists in almost every old houses on the coastal part of Croatia. It used to serve as the dining-room during the hot summer days, or the tavern, during the rest of the year, where the householder recived his friends in order to taste the wine, eat some good home-made food, play the cards or chat. This kind of traditional social life is almost dissappeared today, it still exists in some small villages on the islands or in the hinterland.

Favorite Dish: Konoba is a place where one should order traditional home-made food, such as: smoked ham, cheese, salted fish, olives and genuine local wine.

• kiona's Profile Photo

Lokanda: Seafood

by kiona Updated Aug 20, 2005

Dubrovnik - Old town

The food here is served in cute pots..like in the past. Location is lovely (old town's harbour) and prices are more somewhat high, still about the average.
    Used to be my favorite place in town, now it is always too busy and the quality is not as it was.
    Octopus salad (my fav dish) is still excellent.
    Oooh one more thing - If you are thinking they do fish - you are wrong. They do calamari, octopus salad, risotto, grilled calamari, mussels, etc.but no fish! Crazy

Favorite Dish: Octopus salad...yummie...

• skid127's Profile Photo

Maestoso: Adriatic Sunset

by skid127 Written Aug 11, 2004

Maestoso

The interior of the restaurant is very small, however there is a huge covered, outdoor seating area over looking the Adriatic.

Favorite Dish: The meal started off with a small glass of pear brandy. Man, that is some strong stuff. I now know what it is like to taste rubbing alcohol. I'd never had fish butter before, but it was excellent. I'm not exactly sure what I had as a main dish. It wasn't beef, pork, chicken, or lamb, so my best guess is that it was goat flavoured with garlic. Quite tasty.

• SORHUS's Profile Photo

Labirint: great view and great food

by SORHUS Updated Jul 24, 2006

dubrovnik

we went here twice because the food was very good and the atmosfere, the staff and the wiew was super
    first we came for the birtday celebration and then we came just to enjoy the food again
    from the teracce overlooking the habour
    one have to book table in advance

Instant Answers: Dubrovnik