Croatian Cuizine, Dubrovnik

• tpk2's Profile Photo

Croatian Cuizine: Ragusa 2

by tpk2 Written May 27, 2007
    Ragusa 2

Despite the fact that the Rudjenak family has been in restaurant business from 1929 and owns in addition to Ragusa 2 three other restaurants in Dubrovnik, I wasn't convinced with this place. In fact, its one of my worst restaurant experineces in Dalmatia.

Nothing was really awfully wrong with the place, but the price just was too high compared to the quality of the food, which was average at the best.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Dundo Maroje: Good restaurant with a classic name

by Airpunk Written Aug 20, 2013
    Dundo Maroje

Good restaurant in one of the little alleys north to the Placa. The dishes are somewhere between solid home-made and traditional with a good variety of Dalmatian cuisine. Nothing luxurious or eclectic, but good quality food. Servings are usually a little to large in Dubrovnik's old town restaurants and this is again the case for Dundo Maroje. Therefore, think twice if you really want the 3-course set menu. Staff was very friendly and attentive without being annoying.

Favorite Dish: I had the fish in tomato (don't know exactly how the dish was called), but also tried the Grandma-style gnocchi with meat. Both were delicious home-made dishes.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Konoba Rhea Silvia: Good place for breakfast and brunch

by Airpunk Written Aug 28, 2013
    Konoba Rhea Silvia

A good alternative if your bed and breakfast comes without the latter, though surely not the cheapest options. Choose from several warm (sausage omelette, scrambled eggs, etc.) as well as bread and butter. Prices for an omelette were around 30-40 kuna (2013). Coffee, tea and cold beverages are extra of course. If you have not eaten it before, try cheese from the island of Pag.

• DAO's Profile Photo

KONOBA LANTERNA: WONDERFUL

by DAO Written Jun 24, 2014
    TUNA SALAD - LANTERNA STYLE

I found this wonderful restaurant by accident. Actually my nose smelled the wonderful food as I walked past. I liked the menu and briefly walked in to speak to the man I think was the owner. I explained I would be back for dinner and he showed me a menu. Then I smelled more wonderful flavors coming from the kitchen. I was hooked.

When I returned the same quiet and polite man greeted us. We were shown a table in the pleasant and cozy interior. After I ordered a beer I noticed 2 Chinese ladies receiving their seafood platter. They were amazed at the portions and dug in. They were very happy with their meal as were the other dinners.

OK, starters. I had tuna salad that they managed to make awesome. Really lots of fresh tuna. My dining companion had cheese spaghetti. This was actually made from fresh bleu cheese. Lots of it. Amazing.

Then the meat arrived! The Dalmatian Ribsteak was a garlic steak cooked to perfection. When we asked for potatoes rather than fries, we were offered 'boiled potatoes'. This actually turned out to be an amazingly creamy mash.

My mixed grill was stunning. Ordered with roast vegetables, it was just utterly fantastic. All of it was succulent and spiced perfectly. Washed down with a glass of wine.

If you only have 2 nights in Dubrovnik, I would suggest you eat here and next door at the Taj Mahal (Bosnian food). I did eat at both and I have to say my favorite meal was here at the Lanterna. Konoba means 'Tavern', but its actually an old, well run, family restaurant. Service is already included in the price, but I tipped the man anyway. They are quiet and reserved, so sometimes you do have to go to the front of the small restaurant. However, nothing is a problem and they are happy to explain everything on the menu. Its cozy and quiet inside. All the food I saw looked divine and the other dinners were very happy with their meals. Even their wet towelettes were classy.

This is a great restaurant and I do think people get it confused with somewhere nearby. The food is excellent and I would recommend this restaurant over and over again. Just have a look at the pictures of the food!

Favorite Dish:

I had the Tuna Salad as a starter. Fresh, delicious, a generous amount of fresh tuna, well seasoned and just excellent. I had the house red wine (ok) with the mixed grill. Perfection! Moist, hot, spiced to perfection (not too much) and lots of it. Also had a very large cold beer. Just great!

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• DAO's Profile Photo

TAJ MAHAL: THE BEST BOSNIAN FOOD

by DAO Written Jun 24, 2014
    DESSERT

Despite its name, the Taj mahal is an authentic Bosnian restaurant owned and run by the Macanovic family. It is a small restaurant which is tatestfully decorated with Bosnian and Middle Eastern items covering the walls. Service is slow. There is no getting around this. As all the food is cooked from scratch, it is best to order drinks when you get the menu then order everything when the drinks come back. They will try and accommodate you inside on chilly evenings. This usually involves splitting up tables. Its is very cosy inside. The food is wonderful. Everything is first class here. Even the tea is brought to you on a tray with Turkish Delight. Their wine list is very good and has some amazing local wines. A real 'must eat' if you have the patience. If it helps, they have opened a second location (much larger) n the ground floor and terrace of Hotel Lero. Although it will not have the same atmosphere as the Taj.

Favorite Dish:

Mixed grill and a bottle of Gracin Babić red wine.

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

Captain Restaurant: In the old city

by traveloturc Updated Mar 23, 2009

captain restaurant

Restaurant Captain offers the traditional and Dalmatian cuisine.One of the best in the area
    Multi langual waiters ,good food

Favorite Dish: Captain Grill, steaks, fresh fish, langouste, crabs and mussels

• Croatian Cuizine: Restuarant by the old harbor

by mlasov Written Oct 22, 2005

Restaurant located in bottom left corner

There is a nice restaurant right by the entrance to the old harbor from the old town square. You can sit outside, enjoy the spectacular view and try a huge bowl of the local seafood risotto.

• crazyman2's Profile Photo

Mimoza Restaurant: Good local food

by crazyman2 Written Jun 29, 2012

Light and airy, this restaurant was just what we were after!
    The food (fish) was great ---so tasty!
    Local wine too.

Would I go there again? Yes!

Favorite Dish: Fish.