Vegetarian food, Dubrovnik

• FruitLover's Profile Photo

Nishta: The one and the only one in Dubrovnik

by FruitLover Updated Jun 21, 2009

nishta, Veg Restaurant, Dubrovnik

nishta is a new culinary concept in Dubrovnik that is simply refreshing. It serve only authentic, 100% vegetarian dishes, with vegan and gluten-free options available.

nishta is open from Monday to Saturday 12:00 - 23:00. Closed on Sunday.

'NISHTA' in Croatian language means, verbally, 'NOTHING'. The owner explained the gimmick to me:
    Croatian people never eat a food that doesn't have a mother= meat. In this restaurant you eat 'nothing', not meat, not milk..

Favorite Dish: Pakoras:
    No kissing after this Indian-style appetizer! Fried vegetables in a crispy crust. Served with a garlic curcuma yogurt sauce.

Soup:
    Exotic and amazing orange, ginger and carrot soup.

Salad wrap:
    A different style of finger food. Lettuce leaf with a colorful ratatouille and soy flakes. This dish comes with crunchy hummus bruschetta.

• Vegetarian food: refreshing restaurant

by vuka Updated May 1, 2008

My husband and I took a day trip to Dubrovnik last week and were soo happy to find this place. It was not all that difficult to find. When entering the walls, you will go down a long set of stairs. The street runs perpendicular to the stairs and is full of restaurants.

Everything about this restaurant was spectacular. The choices were overwhelming! My husband and I eventually settled on the spring rolls, the falafel platter and the red thai curry. Everything was delicious. I wish we had gone back for dinner! The restaurant is affiliated with the Smoothie Bar around the corner and you can order smoothies with your meal (AND they have soymilk, rice milk and oat milk!). The service was exceptional and the hostess and chef even posed for a picture with us! Do not miss this restaurant if you are in Dubrovnik!

• josiejo's Profile Photo

Nishta: Gorgeous Vegetarian Food

by josiejo Updated Oct 14, 2007

Nishta menu

I'm a fussy vegetarian - I don't like tomatoes or mushrooms, which generally seem to be the staple of most vegetarian dishes in most places. For most of the time in Dubrovnik I ended up relying on pizza as my meal of the day, which even I got a bit bored of, after four days in a row. However, on wandering down Prijeko, which runs up the hill, but parallel to the Stradun, we found this tiny 100% vegetarian restaurant, Nishta.

The presentation of the menu is cute - a little squeaky toy on each table, and a menu which looks like a ring-bound notebook. The food itself though, oh wow. After four days of having pizza, or the token veggie dish, the food here was just divine - and that was just from reading the menu!

In the end I settled for a light battered coated cauliflower, with a light garlic sauce (heaven), and for my main, I think I had a burrito, which again was just heavenly. There was so much choice - my husband went for falafels, and they were the lightest, fluffiest ones I've ever eaten in my life.

I'd like to praise the ambience of the restaurant, however, we sat outside, and the staff from the next restaurant along were playing music from their mobile phones, as well as having to deal with a drunk Brit, complaining about the food, which wasn't ideal.

Also, the restaurant is cash-only - no cards.

You have all the usual courses, starter, salads, main course, and dessert. Everything is priced reasonably too.

Favorite Dish: All the food sounded amazing. The desserts on offer were fantastic too - though we didn't stay for one, as we wanted one last ice cream from one of Dubrovnik's many ice cream parlours dotted around the Old Town. They do chocolate fondue, though. I wish we had stayed, though the ice creams were good.

The cauliflower starter though, was just fantastic. A really light batter, than a yellowy garlic sauce to dip it in. Heaven! If you're vegetarian, and going to Dubrovnik, PLEASE GO HERE! I'd hate for it to have closed down, when we return.

All the food is hand cooked, everything is fresh, the staff serving were all extremely friendly.

• sillygoose2's Profile Photo

Vegetarian food: Vegetarian in Dubrovnik

by sillygoose2 Written Jun 4, 2007
    Vegetable torte

I was told that Croatia does not cater to vegetarians - THIS IS SO WRONG. It is now 2007 and they are very much up to date. Every restaurant offers vegetarian meals. Its not just a garnish either.

Favorite Dish: Spaghetti with marinara
    Pesto
    Pizza
    Lasagna
    rissoto
    Roasted vegetables to die for. Yum

• ranger49's Profile Photo

Kompas Hotel Terrace Restaurant, Lapad Peninsular: Unexpected excellence.

by ranger49 Updated May 20, 2007

Veggie heaven

We were staying in an apartment uphill from the Kompas Hotel and had been told it was OK to use their lift to go down to the beach and "promenade" area and more - importantly to go back up! We felt a bit guilty using this facility.
    Staff we encountered were so courteous and after my husband used his few words of Croatian in greeting they treated us like guests every time we passed reception (where we bought kuna at very fair rates, and Bus Tickets.) We decided to eat in their restaurants starting with a light cold lunch on the terrace. All the dishes were freshly made and displayed in a chilled counter and all looked delicious. A slice of vegetable pie with a little side salad seemed just right for me - the others chose fishy salads and a meat pie. The "slice" was much bigger than expected and came with a very generous mixed salad - a meal in itself. Deserts could not be resisted, again freshly made pies and tarts, fruit salads and cakes.
    No photograph could reproduce the flavours of that veggie pie. We were all agreed it was one of the most enjoyable meals we had and when the bill came it was so little for 4 people we called the waiter to question it but there was no mistake.

Favorite Dish: Vegetable Pie & Lemon and almond tart.
    The lunchtime selection was not available for dinner when a more formal menu is served.

• goodcleanfun's Profile Photo

Vegetarian food: Vegetarian Food Everywhere!

by goodcleanfun Written May 18, 2007

Don't worry if you are a Vegetarian - most all the restaurants here in Dubrovnik old town offer vegetarian plates. You can even get vegan dishes - just order grilled vegetable plate with no cheese - Yummy stuff!

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Just for a drink !

by JLBG Updated Nov 14, 2004

We are not really looking for a restaurant, but otherwise, where should I have dropped this tip ? it is just for a drink ! It is so hot that a beer and a small rest in the shade are a need. Jedan velika piva, molim vas !

Favorite Dish: Beer, beer and more beer !

• Beer Tasting