Dubrovnik Sports & Outdoors

by julesmorgan

Best Rated Sports & Outdoors in Dubrovnik

Boating in the Adriatic

by acemj Updated Apr 9, 2004

Some people come to Croatia just to sail in the Adriatic Sea. One look at the glistening blue water and the beautiful coastline will tell you why. Island hopping in this area of the world is one of the most pleasurable sports I can think of. Check out this site for some information on a yacht charter in Dubrovnik.

Hoops Crazy!

by acemj Updated Apr 9, 2004

Basketball is a popular sport in Croatia and the country's national team has had a lot of success on the international level. Most notably, at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 they won the silver medal losing only to the greatest team of all-time, the USA's Dream Team featuring Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Some of the best Croatian-born players include Toni Kukoc, Dino Radja and the late, great Drazen Petrovic. Drazen died in a car accident in 1993, but I remember him as a great player for the New Jersey Nets and one of the best pure shooters I've ever seen.

I took this picture at the port in front of the Old Town. Maybe the reason Croatian players are such good shooters is the placement of the hoops. If you missed a shot long on this hoop, the ball would end up floating in the Adriatic!

• acemj's Profile Photo

And of course . . . Soccer Crazy!

by acemj Updated Apr 9, 2004

Like pretty much everywhere else on earth, soccer is a passion in Dubrovnik although not to the degree that the locals in Split and Zagreb are nutty about their respective teams. These kids, however, were having a great time kicking the ball around in the Old Town.

• Beach

by grkboiler Updated Dec 5, 2004

Great day for the beach!

I didn't have a chance to spend much time on the beach while I was in Dubrovnik because of rainy weather, but there are a few decent beaches around. Don't expect anything with soft white sand - the beaches there are mostly rocks.

The hotel beaches on Lapad can be used by the public, and the Copacabana Beach on Lapad is located a short walk from restaurants and some shops. The closest beach to the Old Town is Ploce, near the Ploce Gate.

• Fishing off the Old Town's Banks

by Shafali Updated Sep 17, 2003

The water's clear and warm...the scenery is great...and the sun is setting. I'm watching these Italians fish and swim (at the same time!). No wonder they didn't catch anything. Or maybe they just wanted to look busy for me.

• croatia2006's Profile Photo

Sea kayaking, The Elaphite Islands

by croatia2006 Updated Jan 23, 2007

our kayaks

Imagine the crystal blue sea around the remote Elaphite Islands!

We had one full-day tour around the islands:
    3 Islands: Šipan, Ruda, and Lopud and as they say on their website "Combine the history of Šipan and the sandy beaches of Lopud with Ruda's own cliffs, caves, and swimming and snorkeling spots."

Facts:
    "Moderate, 18 km kayaking / Departures from Gruz ferry terminal, ferry transport included / price (summer 2006) €55 / 400 Kn"

The tour operator (Adriatic Kayak Tours) picked us up from our hotel to the ferry terminal. It was six of us all together in the group (they said 8 is maximum) + guide. After ferry travel and short practising we left for our kayaking tour. We had chance to do snorkeling in a sea cave, had lunch in a small pittoresque island where we also had a short walking tour to a chuch. But most of all, we were enjoying beautiful views & silent and bright sea.

I have to say this was one of the most memorable days of our incredible great Croatian holidays. I had never done kayaking before and I have to admit I was quite slow comparing to the others. However I enjoyed it very much!

I can recommend this to anyone staying in Dubrovnik. I was very pleased to Adriatic Kayak Tours; their kayaks were very professional as well as the guide - good looking as well:)

Btw, we made our arrangements by phone just day before!

Equipment: You can get all the necessary kayaking gear (kayaks, life jackets etc) at Adriatic Kayak Tours. Remember to take sun cream Yourself as well as some dry clothes (yes, You are getting wet!).

• Beaches
    • Kayaking

• Amazingly different way to see the Adriatic Coast

by julesmorgan Written Dec 23, 2007
    One of the support boats

This is a Dalmatian kayaking tour with a twist. Not only do you get to see the stunning coastline that all the companies offer, but with the traditional boat in support you feel as though you are paddling in a postcard. The tour starts out in Korcula Town, the home of Marco Polo, and finishes in Dubrovnik. Along they way we visit wineries, the oyster farms and have the 'best breakfast in Dalmatia' at Seka's house. The tour is a real adventure - except for the first and last nights in very nice accommodation, the rest of the tour is spent outdoors. You are fully immersed in the local culture and history. All meals, based on the region's marine heritage, are included.

Equipment: The equipment is what makes this expedition memorable. Lifejacket Adventures provides all the kayaking equipment that you would expect. But it is the support boat that is amazing. We used a gajeta falkusa, a traditional fishing boat from Komiza, on Vis Island. They are currently renovating an even larger vessel; a leut. These boats act as the under-stars sleeping platform, kitchen and classroom for lessons on local maritime heritage.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Kayaking

• canaglic's Profile Photo

Water polo

by canaglic Written Mar 3, 2008

Dubrovnik's waterpolo "Divlja Liga" (Wild League) games are played on this beach, a traditional amateur league played by teams, each representing one of Dubrovnik beaches. These games are always very interesting and even funny. There are lots of supporters on stands cheering for their beach and atmosphere is better then on official waterpolo games.

• Water Sports

Instant Answers: Dubrovnik

Comments

Dubrovnik Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Dubrovnik sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dubrovnik sightseeing.