Church of St. Ignatius, Dubrovnik
The Church of St. Ignatius overlooks the old town from a gracious vantage point atop a romantic set of baroque stairs modeled on the Spanish Steps in Rome. It is tucked away unassumingly in the square above, but it's one of the most elegant buildings in the city, gaining grandeur through its fine Italianate design rather than through bullish size.
A beautiful Baroque style church located up some stairs on a hill just off the Gundulic's Square and down a small street. It is hidden quite well, but one of the more impressive in the town. A set of large stairs leads up to the church that was built in 1738 by Passalaqua, similar to Spanish Steps in Rome. The church was completed in 1725 after 60 years of work, and is the largest in Dubrovnik. The alter frescoes were by Gaetano GArcia. It also has an adjacent Jesuit College dating back to 1658, which is now a high school and seminary complex, and once was even a hospital.
Reaching the top of the steps, you will emerge into the open expanse of Rudjera Boskovica Square, where local women have set up tables displaying lacework. The imposing Baroque facade of the Church of St. Ignatius looms over the square. More of Rome’s architecture is mirrored here, in that the Italian Baroque artist and architect, Andrea Pozzo (himself a Jesuit), based his design on the most important of all Jesuit churches, the Chiesa del Gesu in Rome. The church itself was built between 1667 and 1725 and the beautiful interior of the church is well worth a look with its stunning frescoes by Gaetano Garcia, which depict scenes from the life of St. Ignatius. The belfry of the church houses a bell, which is reported as being the oldest in Dubrovnik, having been cast in 1355. Beside the Church is the 1658 Jesuit College, where many of Dubrovnik’s scholars were educated.
Walk through the market on Gundulic Square up a stairway modelled on the Spanish steps and you will reach the beautiful and peaceful Church of Ignatius.