This monastery was built from 1317 untill 1400. Then it was nearly entirely rebuilt after the 1667 earthquake. Though some elements of the original building still exist. The library and the bell tower were damaged during the 1991 war. Inside there is a Francescan museum displaying a collection of religious art and artifacts belonging to the Franciscan order and the building also hosts a pharmacy which has been working since 1317 and claims to be the oldest pharmacy in europe.
The entrance is 30 KN.
Opening time 9-17
As soon as you enter the old city thru the Pile Gate the entrance is to the left .... can't miss it ... Admission price is 30 kuna's and we took about 30 minutes to see the religious artifacts they have. Well worth the visit.
The large complex of the Franciscan monastery is situated at the very beginning of Placa, to the left of the inner Pile Gate, next to the Holy Savior Church. The lateral facade of the monastery church runs along the principal street of Dubrovnik, and the monastery spreads north along the walls as far as the tower Minčeta.
The Franciscan order arrived in Dubrovnik around 1234. The first Franciscan monastery was built in the 13th century in the Pile area on the spot what is today Hotel Hilton Imperial.
However as the City was threatened with war, in 1317, decision was made to demolish that monastery (Franciscan Monastery of St. Thomas) to prevent its use by the enemy in the eventual case that the City might be besieged.
The new monastery inside the City walls (Friars Minor monastery) was constructed the same year, in 1317, but the work on the monastery continued throughout centuries.
Today the Friars Minor pharmacy is the third oldest functioning pharmacy in the entire world. Since 1938, when the idea of a pharmacy museum was realized in the Franciscan monastery, curios visitors may enjoy the wonderful exhibits from the history of this noble trade.
From outside, there is little to see beside some Gothic ornaments above the entrance doors. These portals are the only medieval remains of the church and were made in 1498. Inside, however, you will find a church which can easily compete with the Cathedral and St. Blaise's church in terms of Baroque interiors. Like those two mentioned churches, the original building was damaged in the great earthquake of 1667 and was rebuilt in the fashion of its era - Baroque. It was completed in the early 18th century. The tomb of Ivan Gundulic (17th century poet, known from the 50 kuna bill) is located in this church. Note also the splendid marble 17th century altar.
The first monastery on this spot was founded in 1234, but had to be destroyed during in 1317. It was located too close to the gate and it was feared that the enemy would use it as a fortress. When the siege ended in the same year, the construction of the present building complex started. Though it was damaged in the 1667 earthquake, it survived in a better shape than other buildings and most Romanesque and Gothic features were preserved.
For 30 kuna (2013), you can visit the ground floor which includes the pharmacy, an exhibition which deals with the monastery and Dubrovnik's history in general, the old cloister (from 1360) and a garden. The neighbouring Franciscan church (see separate tip) can be visited for free. Please keep in mind that this is a working monastery and not a museum - which means that not all areas are accessible to the public (or only upon previous appointment). This includes an important book collection comprising over 20 000 books from several centuries.
The pharmacy in the Franciscan Monastery is one of the oldest (third oldest by some sources) consecutively running in Europe - though it is not in its original place any more as it has been moved within the building. The original pharmacy is now the museum and the current one is located close to the entrance. The pharmacy museum in its present form opened in 1938. Explanations on the pharmacy items is limited, but available in English and Croatian. Plan around 45 to 60 minutes for monastery and pharmacy museum.
A pharmacy, founded in 1317, is integral part of the Franciscam monastery and is considered as the third oldest in the whole world, continuously functioning until the present day.
The monastery also owes one of the richest old libraries in the Croatia, famous all over the world. The collection has over twenty thousand books, over 1.200 of which are old manuscripts.
Since the 14th Century this working monastery became the oldest working pharmacy in Europe. The monastery is access via St. Saviour's church's narrow passage. The building is designed in a Romansque combined Renaissance style following the building alterations over the centuries because of earthquakes. The monastery complex consists of a Romansque cloister, bell tower, a 15th century well, a museum, an important library where ancient writings and music manuscripts are kept, a baroque church, and bell tower.
The monastery opens between 9.00am to 6.00pm
This is the Franciscan Monastery of Dubrovnik. This is also dated almost 700 years old it is also one of the buildings that damaged badly from the earthquake in 17th century and so had to be almost total renovated. It has very nice bell tower as seen in my images here.
Some of the most pleasant architectural work in the city can be found on the Domincan Friary, a short walk up the hill from the harbour. A statue of St. Dominic welcomes you from above the arch of the monastery door set between two slender balustrades and above a semi-circle of stairs. Inside you'll find a shady cloister and a cool garden watered by a 14th century well.
The Franciscan monastery is situated at the very beginning of the Stradun to the left of the Pile Gate. The earliest monastery was built in the 13th century in the Pile area. Within the monastery is the world's oldest pharmacy founded in 1317. There is also a rich collection of more than 20,000 valuable books including old manuscripts.
It is located at the end of the Placa Sradun, near Pile gate. The first construction started in the 13th century, and outside the walls. With war and attacks, they moved inside the walls and started a new monastery in 1317. The church complex was destroyed in an earthquake in 1667, and the Romanesque cloister was the theme for the rebuilding of the center. The little church called St. Spas, or Saint Savior and is next to the larger more ornate church, and the museum is to the right of the large church. The main church was reconstructed in baroque style. The small church was built 1520-28 in Dalmatian architectural style with the round ornate window in the middle. Inside there is renovation of frescoes going on for the arch walls in the cloister currently, and it surely will take time to renew. The cloister is form the 14th century-renewed-and it has 8 sided columns depicting human heads, animals and grotesques. The monastery also has a nice museum inside that displays some iconic statues, religious church relics and artifacts, and paintings; a nice visit for 20 kuna-$4.
The friars started the pharmacy in 1317 to serve the needs of its own friars, but eventually they served all of Dubrovnik people for maladies and hurts. It is the 3rd oldest pharmacy in the world, and intact like it is still said to be used today, and it is, but not in the museum. They sell some pharmacy items-not prescription and local creams made from local products also. Entry is 20 kuna-$4.
The library of the monastery is one of the most complete in Europe, and is used by many for resource of the 20,000 books. There are 7,000 volumes and many form Europe/globe come here to read the books for research.
The Franciscan Monastery was founded in 1317, and dates mostly from the 15th century. A combination of Romanesque and Gothic styles, it escaped serious damage in the 1667 quake. One of its most interesting historical features is the medieval pharmacy, said to be the oldest one still operating in Europe. It contains a number of artifacts from the early part of the city's history.
Although construction on the Franciscan Monastery began in 1317, it is actually the second oldest monastery in Dubrovnik being pre-dated by the Dominican Monastery by two years. Built during the 14th and 15th centuries, it was largely destroyed in the great earthquake of 1667 and rebuilt during the 18th century and beyond in the baroque style you see today.
A few elements remain, most notably the lunette or tympanum carved by the Petrovic brothers above the main portal which is off the Stradun near the Pile Gate. Also surviving the earthquake is the spectacular cloister.
Within the monastery is the famous pharmacy which has been in continuous service since 1317. The museum containing thousands of priceless artworks and artifacts is also worth visiting. One artifact they most likely could do without is a hole in the wall created by a mortar round during the 1990's shelling.
Intro Photo: The Pietà was created in 1499, the same year as Michelangelo's more famous version at the Vatican. In the monastery sculpture you should note the profound sadness on the Virgin Mother's face as opposed to the solemn but serene expression on Michelangelo's Madonna. The Pietà is flanked by the plainly dressed John the Baptist on the right and St. Jerome with his de-thorned lion at his feet. God, of course hovers above them all.
Photo 2: This photo is my current computer desktop image (at least for now). The pattern of light and shadow on this beautiful September day is one of my favorite images and instantly takes me back to Dubrovnik.
Photo 3: The double column colonnade which surrounds the cloister features column capitals each of which is unique.
Photo 4: Be sure to look up along the gallery walls for the beautiful, albeit faded, frescoes.
Photo 5: Here Carol rests within the cloister in front of the 14th century fountain with the stature of St Francis atop.
Franciscan monastery is one of the numerous things to see on the Milicevic Square and the other of the two monasteries in Dubrovnik old town. It stands at the northeast corner of the square, right next to Church of St. Savior.
The monastery was built during the 14th and 15th century. Inside the monastery is the tomb of the famous Ragusan poet Ivan Gundulic, the Romanesque-Gothic cloister and the third oldest pharmacy in Europe, founded in 1317.
the small church was built in 1528 by the Senate -made up of patricians the political wealthy and landed gentry-it was done ingratititude for the city being saved from destrution by the earthquake of 1520. it also survived the bigger shake of 1667
The franciscan monastery built in the 1300s houses the orlds third oldest functioning pharmacy established in1317. Additionally it has a similarly famous collection of works in its reknowned library