Mljet National Park Restaurants

nice omelette
    plate full of cheese and spaghetti

Best Rated Restaurants in Mljet National Park

• picek's Profile Photo

Konoba Matana in Pomena: why not some pasta after long time?

by picek Updated Oct 4, 2010

plate full of cheese and spaghetti

There are few restaurants in Pomena but if you go before noon not all are serving lunch or breakfast yet and others remain closed before 12.
    The one I speak off now was in beginning of Pomena and displayed menu by the road, promised organic food and it was open - I browsed vegetarian options which were reasonably priced but didn't feel like having 'cheese from oil' again - I had it almost every day and like it a lot, but it was time for change.

Plus we sat here alone by the terrace by the door, next to the road and it was great spot for watching people and activity on the road side and I would stop here even if I had only something to drink... yes, you quickly adapt to easy goingness of Mljet folk, you're not in hurry and share greetings with those few passer-by, didn't matter they were one of the inhabitants of visitors, anyone who felt similar way.

Staff by Matana was very friendly and helpful, plus they had lovely grand dog whom was laying next to us... on floor, which made us feel like at home. Other than restaurant they give appartments to rent (like almost everyone else in Pomena), we saw few young people came here to stay and were picked by landlord, and in general the place had cozy atmosphere altogether.

Favorite Dish: My 'breakfast' was spaghetti with sheep cheese. It is actually dish you would normally have it for lunch, but why not once strong breakfast... tomato sauce was thick and heavy, one of better ones I remember eating in restaurants recently (and I have to say I was often disappointed over eating out, and wonder why simple sauces must be those ground tomatos from can whcih all taste the same if they are really easy to make from fresh vegetables, couple of minutes work, really, and I can make very good tomato sauce myself... but on the seaside (not only Croatia, lets be fair) you'd get charged more or less 10 euro for that). Why I actually chosed the very simple pasta then? Well, I kinda loved the idea of sheep cheese with the regular sauce (after I though avoiding cheese, yes, I know...it's easy to change one's mind if eyes are hungry, haha). The cheese was actually nice, shredded and plenty: one plate and I didn't have to eat anything untill dinner.
    I think I had to thank cheese plus pasta combination.

One more note: their portion was larger than by others, comparatively speaking so I think it's good value for money.

Other food they served: well, it's a seaside and you know what you get from the sea :)

• picek's Profile Photo

Konoba Pikala in Soline: traditional salted sardines

by picek Updated Oct 4, 2010

slane gere

We got hungry when we ended in Soline after many hours spent in shadow - and water of course - of the big lake and walking slowly though wonderful forest. It was time to sit down and Soline is very quiet village with a few houses, with very a few small and family run restaurants (better called 'konoba' which is local, Croatian word). Here you won't go for ordinary, continental culinary. Here is what sea feeds and what is born from the local, red soil and sun and prepared in their Soline way.

Favorite Dish: We ordered light dishes - as we already had lunch that day and it was already late afternoon when sun isn't too hot anyways. Traditionally prepared 'slane gere' or salted sardines were my choice. And slight warning for continental folk: they are really salty. This is one of the ancient (and still practiced today by the Mediterranean people) ways to keep sardines, to conserve the meat. Eaten all with bone yet skinned and meat is raw, strong as fish goes. It is interesting, but yes, very simple meal and traditional which I actually liked. You get to taste very essence of the local sardine. Eaten with delicious raw tomato and onion, together with bread... juicy tomato felt like it was juct picked form their garden couple of minutes before served... heavenly! It is actually great to have that meal - will make you full no matter you have it as lunch or as dinner.

Octopus omelette was yummy as well, although I just tried a little by my man. Was served with boiled potato, which is nice combination, not typical one.

I recommend also their home made biscuit - kolac with shredded apples.

• National/State Park

• lostaussie's Profile Photo

bbq on the kerb

by lostaussie Written Feb 14, 2004

i cant recall the name of the place but as you leave the pier in polace you turn left and a few hundred metres up the road there is a big bbq on one side of the road and the restaurant on the other. the service was great, the food was excellent and the pricing was a nice change from restaurants on hvar, korcula or dubrovnik.

Favorite Dish: friends ordered the scampi which was presented as a true work of art.

Instant Answers: Mljet National Park

Comments

Mljet National Park Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mljet National Park restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mljet National Park sightseeing.

View all Mljet National Park hotels