From 1457 Lopud became the regional headquarters of the Republic of Dubrovnik, and the economic growth of the republic was reflected on the island too. Lopud had it's own fleet of about 80 ships, as well as it's own shipyard. This area is considered as one of the finest examples of15th and 16th century urban planing. The center of Lopud started moving closer to the sea as local wealthy merchants had a dock built.
Lopud was home to many wealthy sea captains - some lovely detail to notice on their old villas in the village of Lopud as we strolled along the promenade.
Lopud is the second largest of the Elaphiti chain at 4.6 km2. It has a mild climate as evidenced by its lush vegetation lining the promenade. It only has one main settlement, located in a bay, named Lopud on the far side of the island towards Šipan.Two parallel hills are connected by a dolomite valley with the Lopud bay on one end and the Sunj bay on the opposite. The northeast part of the island is inaccessible as it is very steep. The highest peak on the island is Polacica, which is 216m high.
In a throw back to a popular sitcom on BBC - "the Good Life" the locals of Lopud have been ingenious about transport here in that they have adapted lawnmower engines to get around. Its a real funny sight to see them trundling along the promenade.