Places to eat in Dalmatia - Dubrovnik Region

Most Viewed Restaurants in Dalmatia - Dubrovnik Region

• DAO's Profile Photo

RAGUSA 2: MAKES ME SICK TOO

by DAO Updated Jun 30, 2014

The food was so bad here that I am starting to guess what happened to Ragusa 1. It had real potential. I came across this restaurant when I noticed some tables in a narrow alleyway just north and up the stair from Stradum. It looked nice inside and out, the menu look great and the staff said that a free drink came with meals. Get in there. I then made the mistake of returning that night. My service was polite and my meal was ordered. So was my bottle of local wine. Neither was good. My starter, garlic mushrooms, were ok I guess. Just a bunch of garlic sauce poured over some mushrooms. That’s about the quality of the culinary skill. I then awaited the most expensive single dish they had – a mixed seafood dish. In the meantime 2 couples I had met on an excursion that day walked by and said hello. They mentioned they had eaten here the night before. I could tell they had not been impressed.

My seafood arrived and it actually didn’t look quite right. It was all deep fried. This left the fish and langoustines tasting tough and nasty. Even the mussels had been deep fried! Who deep fries mussels in the shell? I tried to eat what I could. I did throw a few pieces to a homeless cat. He walked away from it. That’s just how bad it was. I also noticed a man showing up who seemed to scare the staff. The owner maybe?

I found my meal to be the most expensive I ate in Dubrovnik and the only one that was not absolutely delicious.

The next day I saw the people I had met again. The first thing they did was ask me how my meal was at Ragusa 2. When I explained they said similar things. They didn’t want to be impolite and I had already started dining before they could save me.

So please read this tip and avoid this restaurant! They have been in operation since 1929, but with the current offering, I don’t think they will be here much longer. There are some excellent restaurants in Dubrovnik. This is not one of them.

Favorite Dish:
    Nothing

GARLIC MUSHROOMS BAD BAD BAD SEAFOOD
    • Luxury Travel

• DAO's Profile Photo

KONOBA LANTERNA: WONDERFUL

by DAO Updated Dec 3, 2012

I found this wonderful restaurant by accident. Actually my nose smelled the wonderful food as I walked past. I liked the menu and briefly walked in to speak to the man I think was the owner. I explained I would be back for dinner and he showed me a menu. Then I smelled more wonderful flavors coming from the kitchen. I was hooked.

When I returned the same quiet and polite man greeted us. We were shown a table in the pleasant and cozy interior. After I ordered a beer I noticed 2 Chinese ladies receiving their seafood platter. They were amazed at the portions and dug in. They were very happy with their meal as were the other dinners.

OK, starters. I had tuna salad that they managed to make awesome. Really lots of fresh tuna. My dining companion had cheese spaghetti. This was actually made from fresh bleu cheese. Lots of it. Amazing.

Then the meat arrived! The Dalmatian Ribsteak was a garlic steak cooked to perfection. When we asked for potatoes rather than fries, we were offered 'boiled potatoes'. This actually turned out to be an amazingly creamy mash.

My mixed grill was stunning. Ordered with roast vegetables, it was just utterly fantastic. All of it was succulent and spiced perfectly. Washed down with a glass of wine.

If you only have 2 nights in Dubrovnik, I would suggest you eat here and next door at the Taj Mahal (Bosnian food). I did eat at both and I have to say my favorite meal was here at the Lanterna. Konoba means 'Tavern', but its actually an old, well run, family restaurant. Service is already included in the price, but I tipped the man anyway. They are quiet and reserved, so sometimes you do have to go to the front of the small restaurant. However, nothing is a problem and they are happy to explain everything on the menu. Its cozy and quiet inside. All the food I saw looked divine and the other dinners were very happy with their meals. Even their wet towelettes were classy.

This is a great restaurant and I do think people get it confused with somewhere nearby. The food is excellent and I would recommend this restaurant over and over again. Just have a look at the pictures of the food!

Favorite Dish:
    I had the Tuna Salad as a starter. Fresh, delicious, a generous amount of fresh tuna, well seasoned and just excellent. I had the house red wine (ok) with the mixed grill. Perfection! Moist, hot, spiced to perfection (not too much) and lots of it. Also had a very large cold beer. Just great!

TUNA SALAD - LANTERNA STYLE LANTERNA MIXED GRILL !!!! RIBSTEAK DALMATIAN STYLE WITH GARLIC - DELICIOUS SEAFOOD PLATTER
    • Luxury Travel

7 Hotels
Otok Lokrum Hotels
24 Reviews - 76 Photos

Instant Answers: Dalmatia - Dubrovnik Region

Comments

Dalmatia - Dubrovnik Region Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Dalmatia - Dubrovnik Region restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dalmatia - Dubrovnik Region sightseeing.
Map of Dalmatia - Dubrovnik Region