Sibenik Things to Do

  • crkva sv. Barbare
    crkva sv. Barbare
    by croisbeauty
  • Things to Do
    by croisbeauty
  • the bells of St. Barbara
    the bells of St. Barbara
    by croisbeauty

Best Rated Things to Do in Sibenik

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Crkva sv. Duha

    by croisbeauty Updated May 27, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    crkva sv. Duha
    2 more images

    The Church of Saint Spirit in the late Renaissance style was built in the first decades of the 17th century acccording to the drawings of the local Master Antun Nogulovic.
    A semi-circular gable, with windows rosette, has a decorative function. The down part of the facade is divided into a portal and four windows of simplestone frames. The staircase next to the church on the wast side leads to the choir chancel.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Crkva sv. Ivana

    by croisbeauty Updated May 27, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    crkva sv. Ivana
    4 more images

    The Church of St. John is a Gothic-Renaissance building from the second half of the 15th century. The staircase is erected next to the south side of the church leading to the chancel. Abig stone dial of the first mechanic public clock in ?ibenik was built in the upper part of the west wall of the bell tower in 1648.
    The new church is a Renaissance dome ending with a semi-circular apse.It was built at the end of 15th and in the first decades of the 16th century. The facade is strongly emphasized by the portal built of massive thresholds and two columns in capitals formed in the Corinthian style. The building of the bell tower was rather long and it was completed in the middle of the 18th century.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Crkva i samostan sv. Frane

    by croisbeauty Updated May 27, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    crkva i samostan sv. Frane
    4 more images

    The architectural complex of Franciscans-Conventuals consists of the church and the monastery. They are placed at the marginal southeast part of the historical town nucleus.
    The church was built in the second half of 14th century and represents a spacious one aisled Gothic building without architectonic decorative elements. The chapel of Saint Cross was added to the church during the intensive building activity in the town in 15th century.
    The main entrance has simple stone frame of the Gothic form, while a Baroque stone monument, now without the human figure which was in the niche, was built in the second half of the 17th c.
    Next to the church there is a monastery dating from the first half of 14th c. This monastery had an important role in the cultural and social life of the town, and especially in cultivating the Croatian language.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    The Small Renaissance Loggia

    by croisbeauty Updated May 27, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    the Renaissance loggia
    2 more images

    The Small Renaissance Loggia is the only one left from the various similiar buildings in the town. It was used for public auctions and judical affairs. Its middle column was used as a column of shame against which the offenders of law were tried.
    Today it houses a small sounenier shop.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    St Jacob (Sveti Jakova)/James Church-the Outside

    by BruceDunning Updated Jun 2, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Hilltop view from Ft Michael
    4 more images

    The actual name is St James church but called something else because the names are interchangeable in Croatian language.
    The magnificent church took 102 years to complete and in 1536 the edifice was finished and dedicated to St. Jacob. The medieval architecture of Gothic-Renaissance style under the direction of Juraj DAlmatinac and Nikola Firentinac of Florence. The triple nave basilica concept was a major change in that the Venetians wanted a single nave. Once the change was made, it became a much larger church and a dome was an addition and cupola of 95 feet. The all stone church is unique in its own right and the jointing with grooved stones was a feat not before accomplished.
    The outer facade contains 74 heads of people in all different moods/poses, 12 apostles on top and 4 figures on the half shell dome look. Reconstruction was done in 1850-60 and again in 1992-97 due to the WWII war damages, The latest damage came durijng the war of 1991-95 when the dome and other major damages occurred, which just got final repair a short time ago. The cathedral became a UNESCO site in 2000.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Knezeva palaca

    by croisbeauty Updated May 26, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Knezeva palaca
    4 more images

    Prince's Palace - Town Museum
    Only two wings of this big building have been preserved. The highest representative of Venetian state authorityin the community was seated here. That was the town prince-captain.
    Gothic passage with the town gate passes through the central line of the ground-floor. The town coat of arms with the figure of St. Mihovil, the patron saint of the town, is above the town gate.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Crkva Uspenie Bogomatere

    by croisbeauty Updated May 27, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    crkva Uspenie Bogomatere
    4 more images

    The Church Uspenia Mother of God is a Baroque building from the 17th to 18th centuries. The portal ends with the bell tower on distaff, built most probably by local Master Ivan Skok, the wll-known Baroque builder from the 18th century.
    Until the beginning of the 19th century, that was the Catholic church of St. Spas belonging to female Benedictine monastery. French authorities closed the monastery in 1808, and delivered the church to the episcopacy of the Serbian Orthodox church.
    Numerous cultural, historical and artistic objects of value can be found in the church.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • croisbeauty's Profile Photo

    Crkva sv. Barbare

    by croisbeauty Updated May 27, 2005

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    crkva sv. Barbare
    4 more images

    The Church of Saint Barbara - the Church Museum is a Gothic one-aisled building from the first half of the 15th century. It is situated at the end of kralja Zvonimira street, from which one approaches the square and the cathedral from the east side.
    On the facede of the church, above the entrance in a Gothic niche, you can see the stone figure of St. Nikola.
    Asmall church museum is arranged in the interrior of the church. It exibits valuable paintings, sculptures, wood engravings, artistic craft work from the period of the 14th to the 18th centuries of various styles: Romanesque. Renaissance and Baroque.

    Related to:
    • Family Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    St Jacob Church-the Outsider statues and Ornate

    by BruceDunning Updated Jun 2, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    Four figures on the upper half domes
    4 more images

    The outside has a number of figures/statues surrounding the building. Of those, is 74 heads of people in various poses and moods states, 12 apostles, and four statue figures near the top area. The carved doors of the baptistery was done under the direction of Juarj Matvejev Dalmatinac in 1452

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Historical Travel
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Medieval Garden

    by BruceDunning Updated Jun 2, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    View of the garden plots
    4 more images

    It is called the Medieval garden of St. Lawrence, and apparently the pattern layout is like it may have looked centuries ago. The garden area just received a rework and was finished in 2007, after 100 years of neglect. The outer portions have rose bushes and trees, while the interior has a large variety of flowers and some succulents.
    It sits next to St. Lawrence church, but access is going "around the corner" to get to it. It is open 8-11PM during the more busy tourism months, and 9-4 in winter. Free admission, and there is a cfe/bar there for your pleasure to sit and relax a spell.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Eco-Tourism

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    Church St. Kriza

    by BruceDunning Updated Jun 2, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    St Kriz peak roof and steeple
    1 more image

    It is one of the oldest churches in Sibenik and form the 11th century. It is a church used for locals even today and a real community church right in the neighborhood sector.
    If you take the long route, it is more adventuresome to find this church. Start at Sv Mihovil-St. Michael fortress and follow the steps down the hill. There are some signs, but you may also need a local to direct you to find it . It is down a narrow street and you cannot see it unless you walk down that street to the church. Then you are right upon it. It probably is closed except for church services.

    Related to:
    • Architecture
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • BruceDunning's Profile Photo

    St Lawrence Church

    by BruceDunning Updated Jun 2, 2010

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    View of the curch front
    3 more images

    The church was built in the latter half of the 18th century and was for the direction and use of the Franciscan monastery. They used the adjacent Foscolo Palace for their housing and prayer that dates back to 1650. The outside grotto of Our Lady of the Lourdes is a area for prayer dedications and ceremony. It is just to the left of the church doors.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • ana.gsm's Profile Photo

    National park 'Kornati'

    by ana.gsm Written Feb 25, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    'On the last day of the Creation God desired to crown his work, and thus created the Kornati Islands out of tears, stars and breath' - wrote George Bernard Shaw. Beautiful nature, a network of countless islands and islets (a folk saying goes: 'one island or islet for each day of the year'), the magnificent sea - all this makes the Kornati Islands an attractive destination of numerous excursionists and boaters. The Kornati are a true promised land for boaters and yachting enthusiasts. Numerous coves provide safe shelter to boaters and fishermen. However, the submarine zone is also protected in the National Park and visitors are advised to ask what, how much and in what way may be caught. The islands abound with karst phenomena, cavities, caves, gullies, crevices, and represent the natural habitat of a number of bird species.

    Related to:
    • Diving and Snorkeling

    Was this review helpful?

  • call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

    saint james cathedral

    by call_me_rhia Written Feb 8, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    angel on the dome, sibenik

    For art lovers it's a real must-see. It's old (built between 1431 and 1536) - made from limestone and marble and built by 2 of the greatest architects of the time: the local Juraj Dalmatinac and after him the italian Nikola Firentinac who completed the work. The style is a perfect combination of gothic and renaissance - it's now part of the UNESCO world heritage list. But what makes this cathedral really unique? The construction technique involving grooved stone slabs for the vault, the main door, the baptistery in the crypt under the south apse and especially the ornaments outside. All around the cathdeal there's a sequence of 74 human heads, male and female, happy and sad, rich and poor, angry and musing... these 74 heads probably represented the contemporary citizens of Sibenik. One thing that can be said say for sure about them - they had funny faces!

    Was this review helpful?

  • call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

    dolac

    by call_me_rhia Written Feb 8, 2003

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    some housess in dolac

    Dolac is Sibenik's most charming corner... one I nearly missed, very clumsily. It's the oldest part of town. To find it, go back to the seafront and walk towards nowhere... and when you think you are in the middle of nowhere, you'll start seeing old buildings and houses.. and charming bars and restaurants... it's Dolac! And to think you'd nearly missed it! It's actually wortha double visit: at night for the bars and restaurants, and during the day for the splendid architecture

    Was this review helpful?

View all Sibenik hotels

Instant Answers: Sibenik

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

87 travelers online now

Comments

Sibenik Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Sibenik things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sibenik sightseeing.

View all Sibenik hotels