Know about this? Rate It!
If you come to Hvar, take a look at Stari Grad for a day...it's only a short bus ride from Hvar. Actually I arrived first on Stari Grad, and then took the bus from Hvar. The name "Stari Grad" simply means "Old Town" in Serbo-Croat. This town is supposed to be the oldest settlement on the island of Hvar (correct me if I'm wrong!). The side streets were very fun to explore.
Stari Grad, the ancient Greek polis of Pharos (one of the oldest cities in Europe) with numerous relics from Greek and Roman times. You can take a walk through the broad Starogradsko field (through a labyrinth of paths made by Greek colonists) interspersed with numerous remains of Roman and Greek villae rusticae.
The small town and bay is at the end of the Starigrad bay. It used to be a trade and naval centre up to not so long ago. I found it to be a nice quiet little town with lots of caracter.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Hvar Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Ship Island Hotels
- Sequoia National Park
- Attingal Hotels
- Ulu Bedok Village Hotels
- Wicklow Mountains Hotels
- Florida Off The Beaten Path
- Chicago Off The Beaten Path
- Georgia Off The Beaten Path
- Tennessee Off The Beaten Path
- Washington State Off The Beaten Path
- Portland Off The Beaten Path
- Key West Off The Beaten Path
- Outside Rome
- Las Vegas Off The Beaten Path
- Texas Off The Beaten Path
- Mackinac Island Off The Beaten Path
- Washington D.C. Off The Beaten Path