Know about this? Rate It!
Stari Grad, the ancient Greek polis of Pharos (one of the oldest cities in Europe) with numerous relics from Greek and Roman times. You can take a walk through the broad Starogradsko field (through a labyrinth of paths made by Greek colonists) interspersed with numerous remains of Roman and Greek villae rusticae.
If you come to Hvar, take a look at Stari Grad for a day...it's only a short bus ride from Hvar. Actually I arrived first on Stari Grad, and then took the bus from Hvar. The name "Stari Grad" simply means "Old Town" in Serbo-Croat. This town is supposed to be the oldest settlement on the island of Hvar (correct me if I'm wrong!). The side streets were very fun to explore.
The small town and bay is at the end of the Starigrad bay. It used to be a trade and naval centre up to not so long ago. I found it to be a nice quiet little town with lots of caracter.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.
- Save money, Book now!
- Booking.com Excellent choice, Low rates
Hvar Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Oklahoma City Off The Beaten Path
- Brussels Off The Beaten Path
- Grand Junction Off The Beaten Path
- Carson City Off The Beaten Path
- Carmel-by-the-Sea Off The Beaten Path
- Mumbai Off The Beaten Path
- Jodhpur Off The Beaten Path
- Other Place to Go
- King's Lynn Off The Beaten Path
- Frankfurt am Main Off The Beaten Path
- Albufeira Off The Beaten Path
- Oroville Off The Beaten Path