Places to eat in Hvar

Most Viewed Restaurants in Hvar

• Stine620's Profile Photo

BB-Club: My Favorite restaurant

by Stine620 Written Jul 31, 2012

This place was fantastic, good service and to not forget the incredibly beautiful view is from the restaurant. The price here is a little higher than the other places, but it's definitely worth it.

The atmosphere is very nice, it plays music, both from today and from a few years back. They are also shown old black and white movies, and when there are football games, they are shown on the TV.

They serve breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner, when we were there in late June, closed kitchen, at 23:00 (11pm).

Favorite Dish: They serve everything from pizza, pasta, salads and burgers, and more. They also have vegetarian food, the right thing I tried was quite good.

It is known for club sandwich, it is very good and there is plenty of food on the plate.

Novak: Beach Lounge Bar

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 28, 2011

Novak is a very pleasant lounge bar on Palmižana beach, a great place to have a drink and listening to some nice music. The place is made of several terraces, made of stone, and has small stones on the floor. Everything is made of natural materials, tree trunks and stumps serve as chairs and tables. There are corners with big pillows covered with Brazilian coffee sackcloth to relax, and also a few hammocks if you prefer that. The bar, made of stone and with a thatched roof, is somehow on the top. There is no lack of shadow, trees are everywhere.

But what I really liked was a raised level wooden surface (some kind of a viewing platform) set among the tree trunks. It was big enough to have a snap, and had pillows to make it more comfortable.

Favorite Dish: I was not sure what I would like to drink, or even better, what was available. When the owner offered an iced tea and explained about the ingredients, I did not think twice to decide. The beverage was made with local herbs and three kinds of honey: lavender, rosemary and sage. It was very tasty and perfect to quench the thirst on a hot day. Lidija had a Haineken beer and was also quite satisfied with her drink. Iced tea was 20 kunas and the beer 30 kunas (June 2010).

Before we left the place the owner kindly offer us to try their home-made banana liquor which I found very delicious. Of course, it was on the house :)

• Beer Tasting
    • Music

Antika: House of Food and Cocktail Bar

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 28, 2011

Antika House of Food is beautifully situated in over 400 years old stone house in one of the atmospheric lanes in the old part of the town. The owner Boško Račić opened this restaurant 10 years ago in addition to his famous cocktail bar Cafe Antika which has two floors with a beautiful roof terrace where you can enjoy fancy cocktails and good wine. It is also a meeting point of the local bohemians.

With outside tables it is a great place to enjoy the food and observe life passing by. Nearby are several art galleries whom owners are frequent visitors of Antika. The restaurant specializes on Mediterranean and local dishes, seafood, meat and vegetarian dishes, and they also serve breakfast.

Favorite Dish: I actually knew what I was going to order without even having a look at the menu. Can you believe it? ;) I was quite excited to try the dishes recommended by my local friend.

For started I had two preferences, octopus or tuna carpaccio. Unfortunately they ran out of octopus carpaccio so I opted for tuna carpaccio. The dish was served with rocket, olives, sea grass pickles, tomato and slice of lemon. For the main dish I had kotlenka which is a soup/stew made with shrimp, prawns, mussels and other shellfish, potato and courgettes. I had a glass of local red wine to accompany the meal.

I was very satisfied with the food, everything was really delicious! The bill came to 142 kunas (June 2010). Will certainly return here when I visit Stari Grad again.

kotlenka kotlenka tuna carpaccio Antika Antika

Stari Mlin: Tempting Seafood

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 28, 2011

My long time friend Damir Čavić recently opened a new culinary venture in Stari Grad called Stari Mlin. The restaurant is located in the bay next to the school, a few steps from the town's promenade. This konoba (typical Dalmatian tavern) has a cosy interior with stone walls and a garden with a nice view of the charming stone houses in the bay.

One of my first days in Stari Grad I passed by Stari Mlin and wanted to say hello to Damir which I haven't seen for a very long time. When I was there for the last time he owned a legendary bar called Majunga which at that time was THE place to go in the evening. But I was glad to see that he realized his old idea of opening the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: After a long consideration I chose octopus salad as a starter and for the main dish I had fish. Octopus was properly cooked and I like the combination with capres and chopped tomatoes. It was served on a lettuce leaf and the portion was quite big. The fish was made in sauce with capres where olives, slices of lemon, courgette and potato were added as well. Both dishes were very delicious and two glasses of local red wine made a perfect Mediterranean dinner. The complete meal was 164 kunas (June 2010).

octopus salad octopus salad fish with capres, olives, courgette and potato Stari Mlin the old town view from Stari Mlin

Palmižana Maneghello: Morning Coffee in Art Gallery

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 28, 2011

From marina Palmižana a winding path adorned with flowering cacti leads to Palmižana Maneghello restaurant. This terrace restaurant has a bamboo roof and is surrounded by Mediterranean plants. It offers stunning views of the bay. The walls are painted red and decorated with local arts and crafts. This unique setting has a split level terrace where you can enjoy the breathtaking panorama. It is open from morning till night.

The restaurant is famous in the region for its outstanding menu. Besides the variety of fresh seafood, goodies include goat cheese with rocket, Dalmatian olives and pršut (smoked ham), home-made anchovies and tomato soup with capers. Don't forget to try their soup made with fish and lobster, and gregada, a selection of first class fish and shells, prepared with potatoes and covered in locally produced extra virgin olive oil. Both dishes are cooked on an open fire.

more pics in the travelogue

Favorite Dish: First thing we did upon arrival to Palmižana was making a stop in this restaurant/gallery. We already had breakfast in our apartment but had no time for coffee. We thought this would be a lovely place to have a nice cappuccino. We stayed quite a while soaking up the atmosphere of this unique place.

The service was friendly and to our surprise two cappuccinos were only 20 kunas. We found it quite cheap, especially compared to 34 kunas that we would pay for two cappuccinos in Hvar town. The waiter though 'this was robbery' ;)

restaurant/gallery restaurant restaurant access to the restaurant and Violet Bungallow

Zaca: Nice Cappuccino in the Shadow of Cypress Trees

by mircaskirca Updated Jul 18, 2011

Zavala harbour is called Zaca and gets its name from 'zalca', which means 'beaches'. Here you'll find luxorious villas that rent apartments to tourists. This is also a starting point for exploring the nearby beaches and coves. I was not staying here but came often for the beach. If you are lucky you'll find a place for your car at the end of the road, on a small parking above the sea. June is considered low season in Hvar so we somehow always manage to find one. But I can only imagine a parking chaos in July and August.

Just steps from the car park is a bar Zaca. It has a lovely outdoor sitting with wooden tables, chairs and benches by the sea, in the shadow of old cypress trees. On arrival, before heading to our favourite cove, we used to make a stop here for a cappuccino. A very pleasant abmience and friendly service. And there was no other bars further on the beach.

Favorite Dish: As mentioned, we came for a morning treat, a good cup of cappuccino. It was served with chocolate orange jaffa cookie and a glass of water. Each was 12 kunas (June 2011).

cappuccino with chocolate orange cookie bar Zaca
    • Beer Tasting

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Konoba Humac: Never on a Sunday

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Apr 4, 2011

Our holiday house hostess had recommended Konoba Humac highly, as had VTer marktynernyc, and the promise of delicious and authentic dishes all cooked in a traditional kitchen devoid of all mod cons in an abandoned village certainly had us interested, so we made our way to the old village with great anticipation of a leisurely Sunday lunch on a terrace with a view of the island of Brac across the water, "the most delicious octopus and lamb" and some good, robust red wine. Only one problem ... the restaurant isn't open on Sundays! Oops!

To add to our woes, the almost-as-well-recommended Konoba Kod Komino in nearby Pitve was also closed for Sunday lunch! Bread and cheese back at our house was our lot that day ... the restaurant reviews will have to wait for our return. Meantime, take a look at their website here and check out Mark's recommendation.

Next time.

• tpk2's Profile Photo

Junior: Good seafood

by tpk2 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Junior is a nice, affordable place for eating local seafood. The restaurant has around ten tables inside and three on the street. The inside is not really that interesting, but on a warm summer day eating outside is great.

The food is excellent. The menu is quite simple, just the way it should be in Dalmatia ;)

Favorite Dish: I ate fried calamars both times we went to this place. A portion is 50 kunas (2007).

Fried calamars, fried shrimps and French fries

• EviP's Profile Photo

Konoba at Milna beach: and again seafood

by EviP Written Jul 30, 2010

This tavern is on the Beach of Milna, with tables by the rock, straight to the sea.
    I was there at sunset when the bay was empty and enjoyed my diner in a quiet, picturesque sea scenery.

Favorite Dish: Mussels buzara, again and again!
    From the moment I hit the Croatian coastline, this became a regular dish to order!
    I had it everyday!

Why try anything else by the Adriatic, anyway....?

Milna beach milna beach Milna Beach at sunset pink cloud at sunset blue cloud at sunset

• bev060's Profile Photo

FOR BISTRO: A GREAT LITTLE FIND

by bev060 Updated Apr 23, 2010

Yes, it is really call "FOR". A small bistro style restaurant on side street behind Post Office in Hvar Town close to here the catamaran ferries dock . There was a sandwich board sign on the promenade directing us to the restaurant.
    A basic menu but food nicely prepared and prices very reasonable. We dined there twice and there was a different chef both nights but meals were equally good. House wine was OK and again well priced.

• BlueLlama's Profile Photo

Local seafood, beautiful setting: Kod Barba Luke

by BlueLlama Updated May 1, 2008

Kod Barba Luke is set just back from Stari Grad's waterfront, giving it great views of both the water and the old stone buildings around the square where the Tvrdalj, or home of Croatian poet Petar Hektorovic, is to be found. It's a perfect position for people-watching too. Or would have been if it weren't for the fact that Stari Grad was deserted when we visited! For such a quiet day, however, a large number of people were eating at Kod Barba Luke.

The menu is dominated by fish and other seafood. Simply grilled or in a variety of sauces - there's a wide range to choose from including a couple of different mussel dishes. There are also some simple meat and pasta dishes. We chose 'sea devils' in cream sauce, described as a white fish and turned out to be monkfish. Really nicely done, plenty of fish and served with boiled potatoes to soak up the sauce. Steak was less successful - very rare when we'd asked for well-done. And then we couldn't get the owner to come back so we could ask for it to be cooked a bit more!

It's a fairly upmarket place with spotless white linen and sparkling glasses. And despite the manager disappearing later on, we were served quickly and welcomingly. Good service, tasty dishes, great setting. Stari Grad's most appealing restaurant didn't disappoint.

Kod Barba Luke Sea devils!

• tpk2's Profile Photo

Leporini: Fresh seafood

by tpk2 Written Dec 17, 2007

Leporini is owned by a fisherman, which guarantees the high quality of their seafood. The place has a cozy "konoba" atmosphere and good service. One of the best places in Dalmatia for seafood!

Favorite Dish: Everything from the sea. Škampi na žaru (grilled squids) and vježa bijela riba I. klase (first class white fish) are excellent.

• Jusba's Profile Photo

Konoba Napoleon: Great great great food!

by Jusba Written Oct 15, 2007

In Jelsa town, just along the seaside in the central - the restaurant is right next to the boats. The waiters were super-pollite, the food melted in our mouths and we even got to know the local wines which turned out to be excellent. I would recommend anyone staying in Jelsa or Hvar island to come to this place just to taste the chefs special beef/seafood and a glass/bottle of the local wines. I am surprised if You will be dissapointed!

Favorite Dish: I ate the seafood and the chefs special beef steak. I must admit (as a steak lover) that this beef was one of the best I've tasted. There was a special sauce which I just loved and the steak was cooked for several hours already before frying. Taste the local red wine with it Plavac Tomic or Plavac Zlatan - they are really top quality! The kitchen was an open one as you can see from the picture. Indoor and outdoor seatings.
    Our waiter ("mr bean" as we called him, say hi from me!) was extremely polite and took the time to really talk to us. The price per person includes a steak and a few glasses of red wine + dessert.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo

Palaca Paladini: A real treat

by TheWanderingCamel Updated Sep 7, 2007

After missing out on a most-anticipated Sunday lunch at the Konoba Humac, we were determined to treat ourselves before we left Hvar. Palaca Palandi was our choice, and we were not disappointed. A lovely walled garden terrace scented with citrus trees, hidden behind the walls of the mediaeval Paladini Palace, was the perfect place to retreat to from the summer heat. Service was friendly and efficient, and lunch was excellent. The restaurant has a reputation for good food lovingly prepared and it certainly delivered.

Favorite Dish: Grilled squid is such a regular feature of Croatian restaurant menus. I love it and must have eaten it in at least a dozen different restaurants there last summer and this year and it has always been good, but the squid at the Palaca Paladini is definitely the best I've had anywhere in Croatia.

Good choice!

• danijelita's Profile Photo

Konoba Marko: Don't Miss it in Jelsa

by danijelita Updated Sep 9, 2006

It is the small local restaurant with nice tasteful food, you might be surprised with some slavonian dish , as Marko is from that part of Croatia, but still prepares a great Dalmatian food.

Favorite Dish: Octopus salad ...great, all food is really good

Hvar Hotels

• Hotel Park Hvar

I really enjoyed my stay in Hotel Park. The rooms are big and well-equipped (safety box, LCD TV,...

• Hotel Podstine

During our three night stay we booked into the Podstine Hotel. In the summer you pay a lot for the...

• Amfora Hotel

This hotel is a GIANT! It's a resort with a nice pool and beach. The pool is for hotel guests, but...

Latest Hvar Hotel Reviews

Latest: Jun 17, 2014
Hotel Podstine
Apartmani Viskovic Marinka

Instant Answers: Hvar

Comments

Hvar Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Hvar locals.
Map of Hvar