Split Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
  • Warnings and Dangers

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Split

• acemj's Profile Photo

BIG BAD WARNING AND DANGER!!!!

by acemj Updated Mar 9, 2004

Well, my vacation was going smoothly until the night of Monday, February 16, 2004. I ventured out to the Old Town to eat a late dinner at around 9:45pm and it didn't take long to realize that the town was practically empty. I wandered into a small bar and was told by the bartender that all of the buses leave at 10pm so the restaurants were closing too. He told me of a place where I could grab a meal though, so I headed over that way.

After walking to the restaurant, eating a good meal, having some wine and sampling some dessert, it was getting close to 11:30 by the time I left. I was really curious to find out if there was any happening nightlife at this time of year, so I walked over to the area around Bacvice Bay. Unfortunately, it was completely dead, but I was enjoying my stroll, so I kept walking and enjoying the night. By midnight or so, it was getting cold and I wasn't exactly sure where I was, so I decided to head on back in the general direction of my room.

Let's start with my first mistake: I was by myself in an unknown part of town that was completely abandoned without another person in sight. Secondly, I STUPIDLY decided to stop at an ATM and get some cash for the next day. As soon as I stepped in front of the ATM machine, three guys came out of the shadows and surrounded me. There was an older guy that appeared to be the leader and two younger guys, one of whom looked like a bouncer (you know, no neck, muscles, generally terrifying to look at).

(continued in next tip)

• biggeorge's Profile Photo

Buses -trains

by biggeorge Written Jan 31, 2004

Croat bus-train conductors are very proud of their vehicles ,dropping stuff on the floor or putting your manky trainer clad feet on the seats will result in a great deal of finger pointing and shouting.
    The coach drivers are very punctual and will leave you at rest stops if you take too long ,they also don't speak English so you have to guess how long you have.
    We had to stick legs in the folding doors to get them to wait.

• billus's Profile Photo

The bus closes in on Zadar. In...

by billus Updated Aug 24, 2002

The bus closes in on Zadar. In the hinterland the houses appear...abandoned! Down the road a house appears which seems to have caught fire. And here's a fine specimen of Mediterreanean villa architecture, pockmarked by bullet holes. No shops are open for it is the vacation season. Soon it is obvious that this is a former war zone, having suffered the attacks of the Knin serbs. These residences have a new ambience, characterized by mortar blasted spackle, exposed exterior roof beams, open plan living rooms, half walls, and graffiti. Some of these Croatian homes have been redecorated from top to bottom. These are the vestiges of one of the early phases of the war, the serbs against the croats, but not yet the Bosnians. Brutal looking graffiti adorns this region of Croatia,through which no bus or train passed until 1996.

• tampa_shawn's Profile Photo

State Run Tourist Office in the Palace

by tampa_shawn Updated Oct 15, 2002

Picture taken in Split

DON"T BOTHER!!!! They are not the least bit helpful and very RUDE!! We stopped by three times and had the same experience every time.

• Beaches

by Srechko Written Sep 19, 2002

This might be outdated by now, but I remember water not being very clean for swimming, at least around city beaches.

• AndreasK's Profile Photo

Really a pity that these old...

by AndreasK Written Sep 7, 2002

Really a pity that these old houses are under decay. I loved the old part of the city of Split with plenty of old buildings, not all of them really beautiful, but still worth a visit.

Instant Answers: Split

Comments

Split Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Split warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Split sightseeing.