In 1893 the Brijuni islands were bought by the Austrian industrialist Paul Kupelwieser who in the years before first big war had transformed the desolate islands into one of the most fashionable and attractive summer resorts. As a strat he totally wiped out malaria with the aid of the renowned German physician and Nobel prize winner Robert Koch.
He proceeded to clear away the maqui, put the woods and parks in order and planted different kinds of trees and bushes.
Fondest memory: What you see on this picture is the only left swamp at the island of Veliki Brijun.
The group of Brijuni islands consists of two larger islands called Big and Little Brijuni and 12 islets: Vanga, Jerolim, Kozada, Gaz, Vrsar, Galija, Madona, Okrugljak, grunj, Supin, Supinic and St Mark.
There are only 3 kilometers distant from the mainland separated by the wide Fažana canal. The islands are situated almost at the very northwestern exit from the port of Pula.
The highest point of Veliki Brijun, also of the entire archipelago, is Straža (42m). The coast is mostly slightly slanted, with stone-slabbed and sporadically gravel beaches.