This temple is from around 2nd century BC to before the death of Augustus in 14AD, for which the temple is dedicated. Besides that dedication, it also is a commemoration for Goddess Roma, a deity from the Greek era. The structure was converted into a church during Byzantine times, so it was preserved for centuries. The building was built on a pedestal porch and the columns are 57 feet high and the building 27 feet wide. Today it is a lapidarium and has some/not many stone archaeological pieces. WWII severely damaged the building, and some how they rebuilt it, and it looks just like it would have back 2,000 years ago. HOw is that?
Entry fee is $2 and takes about 2 minutes to see the small inside. Open 9-6 daily
Dedicated to the Emperor Augustus, the Temple was constructed between 2 BC and 14 AD. Situated in the Forum (the ancient administrative heart of Pula), the Temple's function changed over the years (after the pagan ancient era); as a church, wheat storage and housed stone monuments. The Temple was almost destroyed by a bomb in 1945. It was reconstructed between 1945 and 1947. Today, the Temple is a 'mini' museum for ancient stone and bronze sculptures.
It's an ideal spot to sit on the stone steps, snap some photos (loads of tourists here in summer!), and watch the world go by, or you can try one of the few 'touristy' cafes in the perimetre of the Forum.
The Temple of Augustus is a splendidly preserved Roman ruin that is located right beside the Town Hall. It was built between 2 BC and 14 AD and is most remarkable for its large Corinthian columns, which are still intact, on the side that faces the Forum. It was constructed to celebrate the cult of th Emperor and was once part of a much larger collection of Roman buildings, including the Town Hall next door. Inside the Temple is a collection of Roman ruins from around Pula, with some of the sculptures that were found at the amfitheatre.
The temple base is rectangular and it forms a raised pedestal. The rear part of the temple is a closed cella, while the fore part is the open ptonaos, which is formed by four columns in front and by one column on each side. The columns are smooth with richly ornamented classic Corinthian capitals, while the corner pilasters of the cella are fluted. The architrave under the roof has all around a frieze of the finest execution in relief, decorated with motifs of acanthus, vines, fruit and birds. The frieze is broken in centre in front and the space bears the dedicatory inscription executed in bronze letters that read: "Romae et Augusto Caesari divi f(ilio) patri patriae" - The Rome and caesar August, divine son, father of the fatherland.
Temple of Augustus - is a very pretty and well-proportioned building. Although it is not a large dimensions, it creates an exceptionally monumental effect. It is an extremely valuable specimen of temple architecture from the earliest peroid of the empire. It was certainly built in the time of Augustus, 2 B.C. - 14 A.D., and it was dedicated to the imperial deity of Augustus himself and to godess Roma, the personification of Rome.
Of course, the back of the Temple of August (Augustov Hram) is not as decorated as the front. However, it has too a triangular pediment and fluted columns, but the pediment is sitting on a plain but though impressive stone wall.
Left to the town hall is the Temple of August (Augustov hram). It was build at the beginning of the first century AD under the reign of August. It was built at the same time than the "Maison Carrée" (square house) in Nîmes and the look is not very different. Six Corinthian columns hold a triangular front and give access to the "cella".
It was erected from 2 BC to AD 14.
When the Roman left, the temple became a church & then a grain warehouse !
The temple was suffered a direct hit when Pula was bombed in 1944.
It was reconstructed in 1947.
If you look closer, you can see some decorations on the temple, whether these are original or otherwise, the temple itself is not properly kept.
It's just being there without any significant value unless you know a bit about the history of it...
Walk pass through the Triumphal Arch of Sergius, we come to a pedestrian street called Ulica Sergijevaca.
We will come to a Forum, where it was the meeting place from the Middle Ages.
it used to contained temples & public buildings but today the only visible remnant from the Roman era is Temple Of Augustus.
Temple of Augustus is a typical temple structure with a square shrine and a deep hall on a high base, with luxurious Corinthian capitals with acanthus-leaf decorations, and images of fruits and birds.
Augustus Temple, very impressive. It was bombed in the course of WW II, though, and thoroughly reconstructed afterwards.
The temple of Augustus from 2 nd year bc. The finest Roman temples outside Italy. Today inside is used for exhibitions.
This Temple is dedicated to goddess Roma and Emperor Augustus, and it was built between the year 2 B.C. and 14 A.D. when the Emperor died.
* Temple of Augustus was built between 2 BC and 14 AD and today it represents one of the best examples of a Roman temple outside Italy.
In the Republic Square in Paula the perfectly preserved Roman Temple of Augustus with more corinthian columns can be seen.