Franciscan monastery in the upper parts of town. We had to search for a while before we arrived there, it's a bit off the beaten path. Here you will also find the altar for the Blessed Oton of Pula (1200-1241) and a quiet cloister with palm trees.
The three wings of the monastery and the church enclose a square cloister, which was built at the same time as the church, but it was altered in 15th century. The columns of the cloister are of early Renaissance characteristics. A Romanesque chapel of St. John is in the middle of the east wing. For a time it was a private chapel of the famous patrician Castropola family. A collection of medieval stones, property of the Archaeological Museum of Istria, is on exibition in the cloister.
The monastery and church of St. Francis are located on the slope of the hill between the Forum and Kaštel. The Franciscan came to Pula as early as 13th century, and their large monastery church was completed in 1314. It is a monumental single-nave preaching church built of very finely dressed square stone. In the rear it has three square apse with Gothic triumphal arches. The front of the church is distingiushed with a Gothic rose and a monumantal portal richly decorated with twisted columns and relief tendrils that climb from styled amphorae at the foot.
The Franciscan monastery was built at the same time as the church, but it was altered in the 15th century. The columns of the cloister are of early renaissance characteristics.
A collection of medieval stones, property of the Archaeological Museum of Istria, is on exhibition in the cloister.